1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

New Assistant on Defense

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by spleeny09, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Well I guess we will see what he can do but can't say I am thrilled with his resume so far.

Tomlin was defensive coach with TB when they had a stacked defense ( not sure how much of that was his doing) then he went to the Vikings another defense that was loaded with talent.

Maybe all we need is super bowl talent at every position so Tomlin and Butler can stand on the sidelines and say "go get em men " " don't blink " " the standard is the standard" " next man up " etc etc .

To be fair I would have to see when he arrived at each team and if the defense improved or not during his stay.

Its hard to get excited about picking up a coach that was fired by a team with a historically bad defense.

My only hope now is someone other than the Cheats wins the SB.

If our whiney bee-awch Brown had practiced and played, Cinncy could have set some new records for sucking.

I can't wait for the combine and the draft when every pick is a future hall of famer.

Holy crap its been a few weeks and I can't shake the bitterness of this last season.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    My only hope now is someone other than the Cheats wins the SB.

If they win I might have to start following soccer.

Give me some hope that this is going to get better.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I guess nothing but this guy's career seems to be in free fall. He was once considered a HC candidate.

4. SuperSteelers

SuperSteelers Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2018
    Really! This is the best assistant they could find.

5. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    The Cheats and the Girls both need to go down.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Being a Chef I can understand your point so to speak. But, we have a dishwasher as a defensive coordinator. So another cook can only help hopefully.

7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    there is and has been confusion back there for years so now we coach them with two guys to create even more confusion. brilliant. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Yeah some people don't get it, if you read the article you would see there were comments at the bottom. :thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 1
  9. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I am not sure what to make of this, the guy was on the Ravens and Cards super bowl staff as a DB/secondary coach but when he was with the lions and Bungals as a DC he stunk. I was reading he may become our LB coach.....I don't get it let him stick to what he is good at DB/secondary and we could really use that.

Edit: I read it wrong Butler may coach the LB's:facepalm:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  10. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Right as a DC but he also was with the Rats, Cards and Seachicks as a DB coach. I think this is good just keep him away from the DC roll

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    One of them will work with the safeties, the other will work with the cornerbacks.

12. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    By your reasoning then I guess he will suck with the Steelers too then, he also coached on some SB teams :shrug:.

13. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    color me unimpressed...after an exhaustive search to improve upon a team with a HOF potential franchise QB and a lacking defense the Steelers have hired....wait for it...Teryl Austin. Is he Dutch? and how big is his finger? The holes Butler creates as DC are rather large.

• Like Like x 1
  14. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Splitting duties I suppose. Dulac mentioned it in his transcript that between Bradley and Austin, one would assume responsibilities for the safeties and the other for cornerbacks. Sadly, he, nor anyone else at this time, know exactly who will be coaching what.

15. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Maybe Butler was stretched too thin? who knows. We'll find out.

16. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    These are good questions.

17. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    If that is the case, could we also see a Clock and Replay Assistant a la the Atlanta Falcons? Tomlin has had his fare share of clock mismanagement; replay doubly. Having someone around to assist him would assist the team.

18. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I will say this while watching football this weekend they showed clips of the Steelers/KC game. What I noticed was KC had 3 guys to the left. The far left guy ran an out Davis who was safety help bit on it leaving the middle open for the two inside guys. I understand that was only one play but as Steeler fans we seen that too often. It don't matter who was back there the last few years our safety help does not read and react correctly. I am not saying Austin is gonna change that but if you read his career his specialty is the secondary and with some real good teams. Where he has stunk was as aDC and as long as he stays away from that I kinda like this move. I mean if we are gonna keep Butler what options do we have to improve?

19. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    More unimpressive cooks to the dysfunctional kitchen. Surely the worst idea. Thanks, Art. At this point we're just throwing away the 2019 season so some coaching contracts can expire afterword and those guys can disappear. No doubt Porter was a moron but that's all we did. That, and let a RB coach go from a position that did well. If Munch goes it'll be full chaos among the staff.

20. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The thinking is Butler would work with the outside linebackers, which was his job before becoming defensive coordinator. Dunbar also works with those guys because they often play as stand-up ends in passing situations.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Yeah I did read that about Butler.

22. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I still say we are missing a true FS. Davis did well to keep the ball in front of him I guess but he doesn't make plays on the ball. When he does he takes out our own guy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Butler was THE LB coach before he became DC. They only recently split the duties between Porter and Olsavsky.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I volunteer to be the “get back” guy.
    Did you see the college coach getting pulled back by his pants belt?

• Like Like x 1
  25. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm starting to think that the Steelers whole defensive coaching strategy is to just muddle up everyone's responsibilities. So there is nowhere for the fans to direct their anger. Jobs for life.....yay!