1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Trade AB; Transition Bell; FA OLB; Draft Corner 1st round

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mcam, Jan 13, 2019.

1. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Trade AB - get a first round pick. Get a veteran WR in FA also. Draft a WR with a 1st or 2nd round pick.

Transition tag Bell - His cost might be somewhat reasonable when they see his true value. If he's lost, look to the draft to help fill the need in the mid-tier rounds.

Free Agent OLB/Edge rusher - https://www.nj.com/expo/sports/g66l-2019/01/5bcb56c1788474/nfl-free-agents-2019-targets-t.html

I'd target either Dee Ford or Clowney (<<think he gets tagged). Other notables are Trey Flowers or DeMarcus Lawrence.

I know Lawrence is a 4-3 end, but he's a good pass rusher.

Outside linebacker is primarily where I'd be spending $$$ in free agency. Obtaining one of these players frees up 9 million by releasing Dupree.

Draft Cornerback in the 1st round

Greedy Williams will be gone. By far the best, but this draft appears to be somewhat deep in cornerbacks.

alterfootball.com/draft2019CB.php

Extend Ben (and Pouncey as Ben said he wouldn't play without him), do these few things, and the Steelers could still be contenders next year. IMO

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I don't see us contending without a change in our defensive philosophy. Too much keeping the play in front of you, not enough play the ball.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017

He's a guy that one mock draft had on it for a 1st round pick if Brown is traded. I'm liking it.

4. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Improving in the pass rush and obtaining more skilled coverage players in the secondary would be the improvements they need. Surprising to me the inside linebacker situation looked stable enough.

The "play in front of you" concept is zone which was fallen back to more often then not due to a glaring weakness at cornerback. It was clear Artie Burns was a liability that would be exploited and that Coty wasn't much of an upgrade.

5. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I agree with most of this post except the ilb part. We need a Shazier or D. Brooks type of athlete to do what Tomlin & Butler want to do.

6. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I'm down with everything ecept the Bell part. IMO Trading Brown and tagging Bell create too many cap issues. Not undoable though.

7. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    This would work...And I actually think / hope something similar will happen

8. Big30

Big30 Member

Jan 8, 2019
    Man A wr in the 1st or second ru serious more like a ilb or dline

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Tag AB too F him hahahahahahah... wait...

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The last 2 years they used a second round pick on a WR, now you want them to draft another WR early :facepalm:, sorry they need to fix that defense first.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Get Golden Tate if AB is dealt.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Yeah, that seems more or less the idea. Doesn't matter with the refusal to hold coaches accountable though.

13. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    The reality is the speed that Shazier had was a generational type player. You can get close, but not many linebackers could run like he could.

I actually think what we have at ILB is sufficient. They stepped up their game mid to late in the season. Fort showed IMO he can play as nickel linebacker. The glaring issue is skill at cornerback. An upgrade at edge pass rush to compliment Watt would be ideal.

There are a couple of ILB's/linebackers that could be had in the mid-tier rounds that show some promise also. None of the top ILBs jump out at me like they did in last year's draft.

14. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I have a feeling that what the Steelers offered Bell will pretty much be what he is offered on the market. The Steelers could match the price. I wouldn't go higher than they offered this year.

And like you said, maybe it's best to not even offer that much but to utilize that money to build up positions elsewhere.

With Brown gone though, it would be nice to have Bell around to help move the chains.

15. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    They'd be losing Brown in my scenario. With Ben throwing as much as he is, there needs to be another WR in the mix with starter potential IMO. Ju Ju is good, but he's not as good as Brown pulling in catches while getting double covered. I like Washington and don't think he's a bust, but think they need more options than putting their eggs in his basket as the #2.

Most of the issue on defense is lack of an edge rusher opposite Watt and top cover corner opposite Haden. If we can't figure out how to utilize the 5 something safeties on the roster something is wrong.

And maybe the biggest change on defense needs to be a change in coaching personnel.

16. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Going veteran WR would be a good move.

Of course if K'neal fell to 20 they'd be a fool not to pick him up IMO.

17. ST-ILL-ERS FAN

ST-ILL-ERS FAN Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Depends on if they continue to allow the LBs to cover teams best receivers in which case the Steelers need a major upgrade. I can only assume the reason for why something like that was even considered was because of bad CB play. Too many issues at the right CB spot period...otherwise im clueless, because i dont think a legit reason was provided why they did so.

Maybe if they are fortunate enough to draft a stud CB the ILB position might be sufficient...otherwise ILB needs to be prioritized.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    1. Deone bucannon
    2. Mychal kendricks

Both would give us speed at lb. Wouldn't break the bank. Both can cover.

draft

1. Blace Brown cb
    2. Ulysses Gilbert lb.
    3. Ryan Bee dt/de

both very good in coverage. bee fits perfect as an inside outside player.

mix draft and free agent d line and wr. use ola and adams. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  19. rmorphy

rmorphy Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011

I would trade AB to the niners for their first pick and Dante Pettis, and draft either Bosa or Allen. Pass rushers.

20. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Bosa? How much are you willing to give up for him? He's rated as the #1 overall pick by many draft boards.

21. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    People have this erroneous notion that somehow it was gameplanned to have a linebacker on man with a wide receiver. The reality is, many of those mismatches are zones where the offense took advantage of a MISMATCH.

Not defending Butler in the entirety, but this concept of linebackers lined up with wide receivers is misconstrued. It didn't happen as many are portraying, and here is one of many nice vids by this poster that breaks down things more accurately from tape.

You'll notice that it's Burnett not Fort who is assigned to a wide receiver.

22. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I know they would need another WR, I just don't want them to use another high draft pick to get one. Sign a veteran WR in free agency.

23. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    The 49ers aren't going to give the Steelers the #2 pick for AB :facepalm:.

24. mrn6

mrn6 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011

Holy cow.. this kid is a stud..

25. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Imagine him lined up with Juju - that would be an unstoppable tandem.