1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

20 percent of the time

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by mac daddyo, Jan 13, 2019.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    https://steelersdepot.com/2019/01/how-steelers-next-olb-coach-may-be-karl-dunbar/

its a fact we have gotten away from the traditional 3-4 if we only play it 20% of the time. does this change the type of players we will target on this defense? the outside linebackers or sometimes defensive ends also have to be able to cover and we use our ILB'ers as cover men as well. it not only changes those type of players but our down linemen. which leads me to: who better serves our needs?

faster ilb types for sure.
    the biggest fastest OLB we can find.
    big mobile inside DT/DE types.
    SS inside backer types (as we have been searching for)

who do we target and do we give up draft picks to move up this year for certain players?

:cool:

2. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Then there's this....https://steelersdepot.com/2019/01/t...-in-danger-of-extinction-and-its-not-the-3-4/

Well we have yet to truly replace Shazier. That may still be on the table.

We tried finding the biggest,fastest OLB (Dupree) that's a failure so far. Doesn't mean we won't try to dip our toes in that pool again. We need a upgrade at the position from somewhere.

I would already consider Cam, Tuitt and Hargrave in that mold. Our depth is very weak and the draft is deep in that area. So that's a possibility....

As far as SS(ILB) types we already have Edmunds,Burnett,M. Allen and Davis. I'm not sure how much more of a investment we should make in that area with so many other weaknesses. A true FS can push Edmunds and Davis back down in the box where they should be earning their living. I'm not sure Burnett comes back either but we have M. Allen who we are grooming as well. Davis and Edmunds have a little FS flexibility which would help in giving opposing Os confusing looks and a true FS would add even more.

I feel CB,a true FS,ILB and OLB depending on how they feel about the youth are all on the table in the first. ILB doesn't seem to have the first round talent after the first few obvious guys....IMO

It won't matter who we pick and where if the coaching doesn't improve.....

3. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i still feel like deone bucannon could work out well here. ulysses gilbert is a target i'd like to see us go after as well. i'm still on the blace brown train at CB. :cool:

4. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Jordan Kunaszyk from Cal and TJ Edwards from Wisc. are two guys I will be keeping my eyes on. Both impressed me so far in the little that I have watched of them.

5. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

3. names for you to go look at. blace brown cb troy. ulysees gilbert LB akron. ryan bee DE/DT marshall. 1. 2. 3. add deone bucannon and mychal kendricks LB. lots of problems fixed. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  6. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I have seen Gilberts name thrown around here recently so he is on my radar will defiantly check out these other guys as well. As for Kendricks I know he was in some trouble and I guess it was cleared up but I hope if the Steelers are looking at him they look hard. We have had so many problems with players of late we need squeaky clean ones now.

7. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    his trouble was with insider trading on the stock market. he has had his suspension and court dates for it already. his was much like martha stewart. a non- victim crime. he's been cleared now. :cool:

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Mac your on with this guy and we will get to see him this weekend:

Blace Brown, CB, Troy: Despite suffering a knee injury in the final regular-season contest of the 2017 season, Brown played in every game as a senior. He has a chance to show he's fully back from the injury during Shrine Game practices, and that his ball skills (12 career interceptions, including one that sealed Troy's upset win over LSU two seasons ago) and physicality are worthy of a mid-round selection.

9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

I think he's gone before the mid rounds. He and Gilbert the lb are good coverage guys. :cool:

• Like Like x 1