1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

How long have you been a fan?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers89, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Steelers89

Steelers89 Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Been a fan since 95. I am a diehard. Sometimes the losses affect me more than they should. I cried in my college dorm after SB 45. I missed two days of work following the disaster in Foxboro two years ago. I was more angered than anything else after the choke to the Jags. This team really annoys me sometimes. But I cannot imagine cheering for anyone else.

So, how long have you been a fan? And how hard do you take losses?

• Like Like x 1
  2. BussyMcBusface

BussyMcBusface Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2019
    Born and bred a Steeler.

I usually get annoyed, I find it soothing to just avoid any social media or sports news in general.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    1968-69. I take losses hard. nothing crazy like missing work or other responsibilities. I joke that I was a fan before Bradshaw was on the team.

4. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    1969-1970. Had a choice between Steelers and the Stains back in 8th grade. . I chose wisely. It takes days to get over a loss if it is a loss that shouldn't have been (like Oakland). I can take losing to a team that is better than we are but there are few of those.

• Like Like x 1
  5. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Since 95 but I missed a couple years pre Ben. Used to be mad for days but I take minutes now. Anger comes in waves lol

6. steelersfan35

steelersfan35 Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2016
    I've been a fan since 4th grade when my parents introduced me to football, then hockey came later.

For losses, I used to take them poorly when I was younger, especially during SB 45 & against Tim Tebow. Now, I'm only disappointed when they lose, but if they lose another SB, then we'll just have to see.

7. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    1970-71. I liked "Mean" Joe Greene as an 8 yr. old, since I also played defensive tackle in a pee wee league. I live near St. Louis and somewhere in the middle of the 1971 season the Cardinals were stinking it up. My brother said, "The Cardinals stink. I like Isaiah Robertson. I am going to be a Rams fan." I said, "I like Joe Greene. I'll be a Steelers fan." I always tell people, Joe Greene made me a Steelers fan, but Franco made me a Steelers fan for life. So we were big into collecting football cards and in '72, Franco didn't have a card out yet. So I found a picture of Franco's face in a magazine, cut it out and glued it over a Frenchy Fuqua card. As a ten year old watching the Immaculate Reception on TV is still my greatest sports memory as a fan.

8. 69-2now

69-2now Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2017
  9. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    1970 ...I used to take a loss very hard. I can relate with missing work, depression, and high bp. Bragging rights had alot to do with it. Now, I don't set my expectations high for this team anymore and if they win ... they win .... if they lose, I still have this message board to vent. Great therapy!

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I am nit sure the exact date it was either 75 or 76 I was 6/7. How I became a fan is pretty cool my best friend lived next to me as a child and we played a lot of sports. He was a Cowpie fan and I realy didn't have a team yet. So back in the day we didn't have xbox, Playstation or whatever not even sure Atari was out yet. Anyways we had this game electronic football and it came with 2 teams Cowpies and Steelers.......I was always the Steelers cause my buddy was a Cowpie fan. Well as we all know during that time these two play a few times leading me to be a fan.

I did not take losing very well either, I can remember early one in the 2000's losing to the clowns I had a bon fire on my front lawn of Steeler clothes. When we lost to the Cowpies in the SB me and the washer and dry went 5 rounds......they won!!! I have calmed down a ton now I guess it comes with age but my wife and kids say we can make money if I would let them tape me during a game.........

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  11. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    Since birth...38 years and counting

• Like Like x 2
  12. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Since around ‘74 or ‘75. As an elementary school student I watched games with older family’s members and I fell in love with the back and gold uniforms. The first loss that I remember taking hard was the 34-21 loss in Denver in the divisional round of the playoffs back in around ‘77. I remember us matching Denver score for score up until 21-21, and then faltering. I was crushed because as a little kid I kind of viewed championships as a birthright.

I take some losses harder than others. I took the loss to Jacksonville in the playoffs really hard last year because I truly felt that we were going to overcome the loss of Shazier and get to the Super Bowl. This season, I took that Saints loss kind of hard, but it was the culmination of frustration that was building over several weeks, so it was kind of muted compared to the suddenness of the playoff loss last season.

• Like Like x 1
  13. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
  14. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I'm a mummy so a long time. I cried once when we lost to the chargers in 95. After loses i'm not to friendly on Mondays, but they don't effect me like they used to.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Since 1975, I don't get as upset as I used to after losses. Losing the 1994 AFCCG to the Chargers was the toughest loss to deal with, it took me like a week to get over that.

16. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I have been a fan since 1984. I was born in 76', so I was too young to remember any of the first 4 Super Bowls. The first game I vividly remember watching was the 1984 AFCC vs the Dolphins. I will never forget wearing a "one for the thumb" tee shirt to school at least once a week that year. I thought for sure the Steelers were going to win, and I was devastated when they didn't. I can still hear that stupid Miami Dolphins song playing in my head.:facepalm: I envy the fans that got to enjoy the 70's. The 80s were rough, and the 90s were even rougher, because we kept getting so close. I waited a long time to see the Steelers win a Super Bowl. I would be liar if I didn't admit to shedding a few tears, as the confetti fell from the roof in Detroit.

17. Xcursion88

Xcursion88 Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2018
    Did you want the coke or the jersey?

18. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    1955 my parents brought me home from the hospital wrapped in a Pirate blanket. In 1955 the BUCS ruled the Burgh. Obviously all Pittsburgh and started earning free tickets to Steeler games in the 60's from my paper route. Never ever saw them win a game back then. The NFL was not nearly as huge as it is now.

If a magic genie gave me 1 sports wish before I die it would be a Pirate World Series victory (hahahahahahahahahaha) but I love all three teams and take the big loses way to hard. Hell it took me 10 years to get over Sid Bream crossing home plate. The Steeler loses in the AFCCG's and SB's hurt like a ***** too.

19. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    75-76 for me.
    A few notables:
    I'm not a Pittsburgh native.

my first NFL crush was the Oakland Raiders. Loved the raider on the helmet & their colors. Dave Casper was my hero at the time. I was 9.

Listened to the Steelers whup the Vikings on the radio. Started following them & Lambert & Swann plays won me over. Best friend was a Cowpie fan & I have never looked back. One of the best decisions of my life.

When I was an adult I researched the Rooneys. Hard to find a more deserving family to own the Steelers.

20. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Been a fan since the Super Bowl against the Cowboys 78 season.I was 8.
    My Dad was a Chargers fan ( Not 100% sure why) and he was rooting for the Steelers against the Cowboys so I rooted for them too! I'm form St. Louis and always liked the Cardinals as a kid too, but nothing like the Steelers.
    Was able to watch a lot of games in the 80's as a teenager since we had one of those big old satellite dishes and you could call a 1-900# to get the coordinates to dial in the game. Still remember my Dad making me work off the cost of those phone bills.
    I used to get upset with loses and be a bit grumpy for a couple days, but not so much as I've gotten older.

21. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Maybe it was Don Coryell?

22. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
  23. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I know he really liked Dan Fouts as a player.
    Also I don;t remember him being a diehard sit down and watch every game fan

24. Ben There

Ben There Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Saw my first Steeler game at Pitt Stadium in 1958. Was hooked from the start!

25. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Cardinals are a good organization. Being a Pirate fan I always envied them.