1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Dan McCullers One of the Longest Tenured Players

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mcam, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I can’t help you to see logic and reason Mac. I can only try.

2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    No rookie DL they draft is going to be better than Tuitt, address the other areas of defense first, like I said find DL depth in the mid to later rounds. Rucker isn't a option, a 35 yr old DE in FA not interested.

3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Logic and reason? The guy makes 10 mi!. a season. In 2017 alkali equaled Tuitt best ever year at a fraction of the cost. So pay a guy that much more for that type of output? Yea thats logical and reasonable. If you can't see that elvis I can't help you either.:cool:

4. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    That's just status quo then. Might as well resign Alualu and Walton back. No mid to late round pick would be better. If you don't fix the front it won't matter who you put behind them.:cool:

5. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    His future earnings are $9 million/year for the next 4 years. That’s already solid value, and will be better and better value as player salaries increase every year. If you set aside sunk costs (I.e. bonuses already paid), and look at the remaining 4 years of his contract as brand new, it’s a 4 year, $36 million deal with $3 million guaranteed. He’s also still only 25 years old and potentially has a lot of good football ahead of him. Getting rid of him is completely illogical.

And who would you replace him with? A cheap journeyman? A rookie? You do realize that rookies are a crap shoot, right? Even “sure thing” rookies fail on a regular basis.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    He makes as much as heyward. Hayward however shows up every week and is consistant, why should Tuitt make the same. As far as rookies failing, sure they do but teams take that chance every draft. For what he makes and how much he gets injured we could get a lot of guys to take that chance on. 3 mil each would fill all 3 backup roles with decent players at the price of one overpriced guy. :cool:

7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Totally agree. Don't know how Tuitt became the focus of discontent. Last year, yeah, when he was playing hurt. This year he played very well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Yep. We have subpar ILB talent, a mediocre starting ROLB, only one capable outside corner, and barely passable safety play. So what’s the solution? Get rid of Tuitt! Brilliant!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Signing a old Frostee Rucker isn't going to improve the team either :shrug:, upgrading at ILB, CB, OLB is more a pressing need than replacing Tuitt .

10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Nobody said he would be a starter 6. Frostee had a good year. We need backups that can stop the run. He had more tackles last year than all 3 of our backups put together. Many of the top free agent d tackles are in their 30 s. Our quarter back is 36 and you want him extended. Why not a vet that is productive?:cool:

11. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Big difference Ben is still playing at a high level, he probably has another 2-3 good years before the window shuts. No way the Steelers sign a 35 year old FA, they did with Harrison because he was a known commodity.

12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    so is ruker. You just made my point.:cool:

13. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I'm talking about Harrison was a great player with the Steelers previously, that's why he got re-signed at a older age.

14. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    That's an automatic loss of a timeout

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    The thread derailed to a get rid of Tuitt thread, which would be a terrible idea.

His job is primarily to disrupt blockers. He's doing good in his role and is not as easy as some are making out to replace.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    We haven't had much luck other than Watt in those areas high in the draft.