1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it all Ben's fault

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by pellynch14, Jan 12, 2019.

1. pellynch14

pellynch14 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    So after hearing Emmanuel Sanders talk about his time with Ben and how they would tell Ben to not mention their name in the press, could it be Ben's fault for the locker room? With Ben calling out players could that be the reason AB is so mad and that the Rooney's and Tomlin only take Ben's side? I do feel like a true leader would not act like Ben does in the media.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  2. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Ehh, Sanders didn’t like Ben. Made it known as soon as he left. It’s all talk. All I remember is him fumbling the ball in the middle of the field versus the Ravens

3. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Ben is arrogant.
    Ben is a poor leader.

This has been well known and well documented.

It does not excuse Brown skipping practice and abandoning the other 51 guys on the roster.

This is not Bens fault.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 4
  4. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Without Ben the Steelers do not have 2 more SB's. Maybe Sanders should keep quiet with his success or lack there of.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Nj43

Nj43 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Ben wasn’t a poor leader down 3 with under 2 to go vs AZ. He wasn’t a poor leader 100X in the 4th quarter when we needed a score on last possession to win or tie. All the other stuff is just crap. Calling out, feelings hurt, etc.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
  6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    The world would be a better place though if he would just be quiet. He does say some of the dumbest things.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  7. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    Those are things that a great player does. And he does them well.

Great leaders don’t call out your WR on their radio show even if they are right.

Great leaders don’t plan family vacations over top of OTAs.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    If you're looking to NFL players to be your role models in real life , you're looking in the wrong place.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Nj43

Nj43 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I’m not in the Ben fan club when it comes to off the field. All the allegations w the ladies etc... But he is a player and leader when the chips are down on the field. No disputing that. As far as talking in the media, not a fan. But when a guy like Parcells does that kind of stuff, he’s lauded for it. Ben can’t do it too?

10. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Ben's fault?

Based on what? If anything, this falls on not only AB but Tomlin. Antonio for his betrayal and Tomlin for allowing this to manifest for as long as it did. Tomlin could have stopped this long ago.

The facebook live event was a precursor of what was to come. Anything else succeeding that event magnifies something already out of control. AB has got to go but Tomlin will likely coach his final season here should things stay the same.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Steelers '08

Steelers '08 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2016
    Ben does run his mouth way to much, and I’ll bet that crap gets old to the other players. He’s the leader of this team, because he’s the QB. So he needs to make a lot better decisions when talking outside the locker room. I don’t know of many teams that the QB isn’t the leader.

Their never going to let be go so of course they take his side. Although I think AB has just made a mess on his own. That said I’d keep him. He’s just to good. We can’t lose Bell and Brown in the same year. Both considered the best at their positions.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    There's talk of the Broncos leading the way in trying to acquire Antonio Brown. If this happens, he and Sanders can talk about how much they hate Ben.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  13. NE Missouri Steeler

NE Missouri Steeler Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2017
    Social media has changed things. QB's will always be very cocky and confident. WR's are divas. That is part of what makes them great. Everyone has a role in victory. Everyone has a role in defeat. It appears we don't have the leaders we had 10-15 years ago. That's my biggest problem.

I wonder what it would be like if twitter and all the other forms of social media was available for Jerry Rice dealing with Montana calling him Fifi b/c of his hair and his relationship was closer with Clark and later Young and Owens.

Walter Payton after SB XX not getting a chance for a TD.

The time Mean Joe walked out, Lambert was jealous of Lynn Swann being drafted ahead of him .Stallworth had to learn to get along with Swann.

The locker room wasn't a fan of Terry Bradshaw for most of the years, which led Terry to tell everyone that you can lose with me, but you can't win without me.

L.C painted his shoes gold because his name wasn't getting called on tackles b/c Mean Joe would get credit for his tackles.

Dwight White pissed after not being in team picture for SB 9.
    This is just off the top of my head that come to mind.

The best of all time have the same problems. Our problems are human and magnified with social media. These men need to get things worked out and understand they are playing for great organizations and a fan base. It really can't get any better. Fix it and get rid of the discouragement. Tool of the devil.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  14. bobby

bobby Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2015
    I agree ben might not be the best leader off the field but there is no way i can say he isnt a great leader on the field. He has meant so much to this organization since he came on the field for a injured maddux. His only problem is falling into the trap of the self centered AB. Time to build the D and start playing Steeler football

15. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Just curious but were does it say that Ben has to be a leader? I mean I know you would.love for him to be. There have been some great QBs who just weren't good leaders. Guys played for them sure but they werent guys who would control the locker room so to speak.
    Warren moon comes fo mind. I have always heard off the field he kept to himself. Wasnt a big in your face kinda guy.

We have some of those guys. Just not at the qb position and I think that is fine

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Sanders does have a SB win, and has made the Pro Bowl with Denver I believe.

17. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    So does everyone else in the world

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    True, but most of us don’t do it on tv or radio?

19. Voice of Reason

Voice of Reason Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2019
    I agree with some of the sentiment already shared -

• ABs current situation is his to own. I know there may have been factors that escalated things, but he chose his path. Sometimes the high road is the more difficult path.
    • While I agree Sanders and certain other players may have an axe to grind, I believe there is enough out there to confirm that Ben is not a great leader off the field or in the locker room.
    • With respect to Ben and the culture of the Steelers, I do think there is a larger point to be made here. Ben can be hyper sensitive when it comes to defending his offensive line, but he has been willing to take small pot shots at other teammates through the years. This ties back in with leadership and organizational culture.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    He did not say that. He said that if Ben were to have said something negative about him in the press while he was in Pittsburgh that he would have gone to him and told him not to do that. Totally different from what you said.
    This is how misinformation gets spread.

12:10 mark

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Welcome to the Ben Rottenbooger haters club.

22. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Trump should do the same thing

Jim90
    This message by Jim90 has been hidden due to negative ratings. (Show message)
    • Against The Rules Against The Rules x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    When Ben finally goes you'll see just how bad he was as a leader. Things will quiet right down.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  24. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I would settle for him being a good QB that doesn't create negative distractions. I don't care one bit about the leader aspect of it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011

Don't take me saying that he's a poor leader as meaning that he should be a good leader.

Be a positive or have no impact, I couldn't care less. DON'T be a negative.

• Agree Agree x 1