1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Early First Round Targets

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by NY STEELERFAN, Jan 6, 2019.

1. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I know it is way early and guys will go up and down the board but this is just meant for fun. I have been reading some mock which mean nothing but so does talking about them on a message board but it is fun. I am curious as to who people like, I just started reading and one guy who keeps popping up linked to us is Bryon Murphy CB Washington. So I watched a few clips and am very impressed so far. The one thing I noticed he dose well...very well is read the QB. While he is with the WR going deep he see's the QB pass short and breaks off his route and make the tackle. I love his read and recognize ability and his tackling is good.

Some other names I find interesting are: Zach Allen(BC), Jachai Polite(FLA) and Montez Sweat(Miss ST). I did not list Greedy Williams cause almost every draft has him as a top 10 but if something happens I would love him. Just curious who other see as possible 1st round targets.

2. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    It's early so it's tough to tell how people will slot out but:

CB Greedy Williams LSU
    CB Deandre Baker Georgia
    CB Bryon Murphy Washington
    S Deionte Thompson Alabama
    OLB Jochai Polite Florida
    OLB Montez Sweat Mississippi St
    ILB Mack Brown Alabama

As for Greedy Williams I know alot of have him in the top 5/top 10 area but I think he could slide a bit come draft time.

Guy I will keep my eye on is Ed Oliver. If he slips out of the top 10 I've already said we should be trading up to go get him. Aaron Donald type talent.

3. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Yeah I did forget to put Baker on my list not sure why maybe the love I am having with Murohy right now lol, but Baker has been mocked to us a few different sites. As for Oliver not sure about him I have read he could go #1 and I also read that he had problems with the coach....physical problems so thats a red flag for me. Nice list.....

4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I would not be surprised if Brian Burns from Florida State is an option. It has been quite a common theme now. Here are the reasons why I think Brian could be the pick:

• 20 years of age with plenty of room to grow.
    • Ahtleically talented with efficient knowledge of pass rushing.
    • Current season was his best season of production overall.

Sounds like the prospect Tomlin would acquire. Fits his mold to the proverbial T; Bud Dupree being the first from 2015 with the major exception. His weigh in is critical though. If he can get into the 245-250 range and still showcase his athletic abilities, no doubt he is a First Round lock. Otherwise avoid him.

Not 100% certain on Ed Oliver. Has nothing to do with him but a lot more on who is our Defensive Coordinator by then. Butler would not use him in winnable situations anyway. If a Defensive Lineman is in consideration, I would take a long look at Rashan Gary. That kid oozes playmaking ability. Another player I would view would be Derrick Brown from Auburn. I think he has more potential than most people are giving him credit for. Reminds me of Marcus Stroud at times.

Final note for Inside Linebackers. Germaine Pratt and Devin Bush. Both can cover, defend the run and rush the passer. I would not mind spending a top 20 pick on either.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Agree on both 'Bama players.

Not entirely sure where Thompson would fit but get him in there anyway. Tomlin has always wanted three safety looks since 2015 when he first experimented that idea against the Broncos. Thompson gives you that. For that matter, Thompson will likely supercede Sean Davis anyway.

Regarding Mack Wilson, unlike my concerns with Rashaan Evans from last season, Wilson is a monster. Combine testing be damned with him. My biggest concern is if Keith Butler is still the defensive coordinator by then. That would not bode well for him.

6. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I will play, my thoughts are the Steelers will deal AB
    for a team picking in the top ten and the Steelers will select either a ILB
    or CB from these available positions

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  7. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Ohkay...

Nevermind on Derrick Brown... he is returning to college.

8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I will be watching this Clemson-Alabama game to keep a eye on the players on defense on both teams.

9. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

If it is the likes of Quinnen Williams and Clein Ferrell, forget it. Both are either top 5 to top 10 locks depending on what happens after Arizona picks Bosa. I doubt either gives us an average performance tonight.

Now, Deionte Thompson, Tre Lamar, Raekwon Davis, Christian Wilkins, Mack Wilson, Trayvon Mullen, Trevon Diggs, Anfree Jennings and possibly Austin Bryant? Those would be quality draft options to look into. I still believe only Thompson and Mack would be worthy of such a pick but I would not count out Mullen either; better or worse pending his performance tonight and his combine performance soon thereafter.

10. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Well.... after the College Football Title game... it is likely that, due to Mack Wilson's sub par performance, Devin Bush is now a late First Round projection. Short for certain but that is it. Dude is a playmaker.

Now, if Byron Murphy makes it that far, I would nab him first. Dude has some serious ball production. For that matter, he just might be better than Sidney Jones when he came out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    with ola and adams (< paid more to keep from being poached) i think we could be OK at OLB. i think this moves this spot down the ladder.

my plan would be re-sign fort, sign deone bucannon and play he and burnett in the ILB roles. thus eliminating having to reach for an ILB.

i'm looking at CB in the first to play opposite haden and eventually take over that spot down the road. blace brown from Troy is the guy. burns gone. allen gets playing time this year. sutton. allen. brown. haden. sensabaugh maybe retained. :cool:

12. steelcityclash

steelcityclash Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2018
    This year we need to be aggressive. I’m in favor of quality vs quantity. If A.B. gets us a top 5-7 pick and Josh Allen is there. I would jump on that without blinking. He looks like a bigger Von Miller. He’s gonna be a star! Then If a Murphy is close to our 20th i’d Do what I had to grab him.

If Allen is gone I go Greedy Williams or White and hope Polite or Baker is on the board when it gets closer to our 20th pick.

We need some playmakers in the worst way.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  14. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Yeah mine too but the only problem is he wont be on the board at 20...

16. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I know I have seen mocks with him inside the top 15 one even inside the top 10....:(

17. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I would not put too much stock in these early mocks as we speak. Too little information at present in terms of athletic testing. He passes the tests based on tape. Let us see what he can do at the yearly "Underwear Olympics."

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    You aren't getting a top 5-7 pick for AB.

19. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
  20. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Josh Allen edge rusher Kentucky

21. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    And that is why I said he is my early favorite. So much can and will change over the next month or so

22. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    deone bucannon, mychal kendricks as free agents for coverage and LB duties. won't break the bank. blace brown cb. ulysees gilbert LB. both very good in coverage. ryan bee DE/DT a guy that can play inside when we go two down linemen and can move outside as a DE to spell cam and tuitt. lots of trouble fixed. :cool:

23. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I'm not liking Montez Sweat from Miss, I hope they don't look in his direction.

You would think they are looking at CB early, they brought in Austin to help the secondary and they generally give the new coach a new toy lol. Plus it shows they are looking to improve that area.

24. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Murphy!!! Liking everything I see so far. Feisty baller with a very muscular frame, I would not shy away from him.

Still early in the process but he’s my #1 target.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Why not?