1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Dan McCullers One of the Longest Tenured Players

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mcam, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Remember when posters here were so excited about Joshua Frazier after the draft that they thought he might start even though he wasn't even a starter in college?

The Steelers already tried to replace McCullers as the backup inside, but Frazier flopped. I'm sure the Steelers will use another late draft pick or bring in a cheap free agent to try to push him off the roster again in 2019, but I doubt it's going to be a priority.

McCullers is roster filler. It's not about potential at this point. It's about finding somebody better or leaving him in there as a reserve.

2. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Take a DLman high in this draft. DL is loaded this year with potential 1st rounders.

3. NickSteel

NickSteel Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2011
    Tell that to James Harrison.

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I was referring to steel rules mention of just a mid round pick. If we go early I'd think over priced Tuitt would have to go. I like Tuitt but we can't depend on him, especially being paid 10 million a year. If some drop we would have a Dr vision to make. If prefer a corner in the 1 st. :cool:

5. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I like to see 4DL studs. Give us good 4-3 options & keep them all fresh. By high I meant 1st,2nd, latest 3rd. Get a good one not a role player or sub.

6. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    I was intrigued when they signed him and had hopes he could become a solid starter and hold his ground as a nose tackle like snacks used to.

But that's not even close to reality he is slow and for his size he does not have great core strength, in the last game he got a few snaps and when they ran at him he was being straightened up and on his heels most of the time.

McCullers roster spot could have been better used on a young LB or DB from the practice squad to maybe improve punt and KO coverage units.

If Hargrave did go down Alualu could have filled in quite well at nose.

Five years is long enough if your not starting by now then sad to say but your easily replaced, maybe the only reason he has been kept this long is he works cheap.

7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They drafted him late, I wouldn't call that falling in love with the player.

8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They aren't going to cut Tuitt, even if they did draft a DL it will be for depth.

9. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    That's just an expression, but I do wonder why he's still on the roster.
    They admit he's flawed and never play him, something is keeping him there.

10. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Tuitt? I think he’s a definite keeper. He, Heyward and Hargrave are all very good players. When we sub out on the d line, things go south fast because the other guys were varying degrees of lousy this season.

11. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Tuitt is frustrating to me, just too inconsistent. doesn't make enough plays.

12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    You generally don't use a first of second round pick for depth. :cool:

13. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I think any talk to sending Tuitt packing is crazy. Our big 3 on the line, Heyward, Tuitt and Hargrave, are absolutely the least of our worries on defense. They’re actually the top reason that our defense was able to rank in the middle of the pack despite inadequate talent at ILB, ROLB and the secondary. A lot of times when it looks like a D lineman isn’t making a play that he should be making, he’s actually doing exactly what he’s supposed to be doing, but the LB behind him isn’t. I think we had a lot more of the latter scenario than the former.

Our depth on the D line was awful though. We do need 3 new D linemen, but not starters.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  14. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Seems we all want him gone but he just rises again. Maybe this is the year he gets cut? What am I saying,look who's running this defense

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    The last few at least...Super Bowl teams common theme...Always had a nice rotation of DL...Philly, Atlanta, Carolina, Denver , Seattle, Baltimore...These teams had a nice rotation of FIVE or SIX guys in and out, always fresh, always reeking havoc...

We have 3...Heyward, Tuitt, Gravedigger...Alualu ok...Then a huge drop off with McCullers and Walton

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    You generally don't use a first of second round pick for depth.
    the year before last alualu equaled tuitt's highest season output ever. tuitt has a lot of arm injuries and that's pretty bad for a D-lineman. tuitt is also making about 10 mil. a season. i don't think for the money he is irreplaceable. frostee rucker last season at a little over 1 mil. a season at age 35 had 37 tackles. tuitt had 45. that is about a million dollars a tackle difference. i don't dislike tuitt but we just aren't getting our bang for the buck from him. i'm not sure if one of those clemson d-linemen will be there but i'd trade him out for one. :cool:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i agree the drop off is huge. even alualu last year was down. we need 3. these 3 are replaceable. (alualu,walton,mcullers). :cool:

18. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Getting rid of Tuitt would hurt us against the cap in 2019. The dead money is about $1.1 million more than his cap hit if we keep him. So even setting aside that your assessment of him is flat out wrong in my view, it doesn’t work financially. I think you can safely scrap that idea.

19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

there are ways around the cap hit then flat out releasing him. after june 1, we could save 9 million dollars. 6 mil. in salary and 3 mil. in roster bonus. :cool:

20. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    The last 3 are in that big, old fashioned NT mold...And even though we run a 3-4, the aforementioned teams had guys ( Brady Jackson ) is just one example...In that 6'4" - #280 range that has some pass rush skills, and can move around on the line...

With teams spreading you out and throwing so much...I think you need more of these " kind " of players 3 or 4 guys you can move around and who can penetrate, and get to the QB...

We have 3 backups who are #300 plus NT's...Who basically are all the same...Big ole slow run stuffing NT's...Why do we need all of the same type of player...I think it minimizes what you can do, because simply...They can not do it ( rush the passer from a down position ) If that makes any sense

21. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Agreed. He is a playing for the league minimum, and he is 6th on the depth chart. As long as he is plugging the small leak at that position, the team can concentrate on the gaping holes that are sinking the ship.

22. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    :facepalm: Post June 1 cuts do nothing but kick the can down the road. The team always has to deal with the ramifications of cutting a player that has received bonuses that haven’t been accounted for against the cap yet. You want to do that for a high quality starter who seems to be a good character guy. Crazy.

Also, if you’re going to do something with him, he has trade value, and that would almost certainly happen before June 1 because both teams would want to have their key roster positions set well before June 1. You don’t plan for a post June 1 cut for a guy who has trade value.

Are you just trying to stir the pot, or do you really believe this notion? If you believe it, I recommend going to Game Pass and watching Tuitt’s play on the All 22 film.

23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    tuitt does have some good games but they are spread out far and wide the last two years. yes there is some trade value, but i was pointing out there are ways to ease the hit all at once. he has missed a lot of games for us. :cool:

24. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    And played pretty well even when injured. By the way, PFF rated him as the #26 defensive lineman in the league in 2018. :cool:

25. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    he was 3rd best on our team this year. his time here is not much different than his college days. good in a few games, injured and nonexistent in others. :cool: