1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

No more coaching staff changes

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by cajunyankee, Jan 11, 2019.

1. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    It appears it's all over but the crying.

A report on steelers depot at the end mentions Tomlin has dispatched his staff to the Senior Bowl.....

This signals no more changes thru subtraction for the coaching staff......

Cajun

2. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    If anything Tomlin's stubbornness will be his undoing. He seems like he's not taking the coaching changes seriously. If he did he'd set his sights higher than Teryl Austin.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Very disappointed in the decision. I figured atleast two more coaches would get the ax.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Keith to the scouts: “get down to the Senior Bowl and find me a linebacker who can cover Keenan Allen!”

• Hilarious Hilarious x 9
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Buckle your seat belts, were in for a bumpy ride.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    The next guy in line is going to inherit a mess.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 6
  7. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I’m going to engage in a bit of speculation here. I read on Steelers Depot last night that, rather than hiring a new OLB coach, Butler may be resuming his coaching of the OLBs in addition to his DC duties. I also remember after our win vs. the Pats either watching on NFL Network or hearing on SiriusXM that Tomlin had a much more expanded role than usual in game planning for NE on the defensive side of the ball. I don’t remember who said it, but it was one of the former pleaser/coach type of reporters who had some credibility, not “Rap Sheet.”

Anyway, maybe the Steelers understand that Butler is in over his head as a DC, but don’t want to can him with a year left on his contract. So instead, Tomlin will largely take over the reins of schemes dsign and game planning on the defensive side of the ball. Butler will be the DC on paper, but more of an assistant DC in reality. There’s my speculation based on current reports and rumors.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
  8. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    So that probably means Tomlins decision making between the lines will get even worse ,if he now has to take on even more duties. Don't be too sure his hands aren't all over the defense already.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Or at least as, or equal to Vince

10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    so olsavsky will remain.:facepalm: our two safeties led the team in tackles. vince can't stop the run, vince can't cover receivers, what do we actually pay vince to do? he was 3rd on the team with 76 tackles, 27 of those were assists. he got a raise. timmons was over 100 nearly every year. this spot is a problem. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  11. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I don’t know... if he was largely hands off all season, but played a big role in the development and communication of the game plan vs. New England, the results could be positive. That game plan was solid, and one bad miscommunication aside, the back end players seemed to understand what they needed to do. Am I being overly optimistic? Probably.

12. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    Butler was A very good LB coach.......!

Teryl Austin seems to be DC over his head but a solid DB coach. He coached the DB in three SB on three different staffs..... Seattle in 05, Arizona in 08, and Baltimore in 12'....

Maybe having him on staff focusing on helping the secondary is a good thing ..... Maybe...... I hope and pray

Cajun

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    This points to scheme more than anything. Our ILB were asked to blitz a lot and drop in coverage ( WR .... Stupid!! ) and he used the safeties often as LB.......

Cajun

14. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    He was a good coach for a different system and era of football. No the LBs cover 50% or more of the time.

15. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Yes - was about to post something similar.

I think there will be more of a formalisation if Tomlin’s role with the D, and more active in game planning.

The inconsistency of the game plans this season - brainless vanilla one week, reasonably good another - suggests to me different people working on them.

It’s speculation on my part, but if Butler has to stay (and Tomlin likewise) this is probably a better outcome than leaving everything as it is.

Getting rid of Butler would still be preferable, mind.

16. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    One of the beat writers tweeted that Austin would split the DC responsibilities with Butler which seems like a demotion to me. Another that he will be Bradley's assistant focusing on safeties while Bradley took CB's. Really unclear about what Austin's actual title and responsibilities will be

17. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    This is why Devin White makes sense.

18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    ulysses gilbert as well. :cool:

19. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Art is either a coward or a moron. Or both. He sure as hell isn't like his father and grandfather.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Assuming speculation is true and Butler is having responsibilities taken away and only here because it's his last year on a contract, I have to question why he would stay if he is basically a lame duck coach this season.

I think he is still going to be heavily involved.

Pray they find some studs this draft.

21. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Honest question (not rhetorical):
    In the last 20 years or so, is it a sure thing that all Steelers coaching changes are made within 2 weeks of the end of the season (and before the Super Bowl)? Or have there been any changes made in the months between the Super Bowl and the beginning of the new season?

22. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    You have think what kinda of locker room problems that might cause to strip duties from him and still have him on staff just to complete his contract. It will be like the Faneca vs Coach Z situation all over again.

23. knab70

knab70 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2012
    A sad commentary for sure. :(

24. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Studs like edmonds in the 1st round, Jarvis Jones 1st round Bud Dupree 1st round I'm sure they'll be able to replicate that :)

25. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    What you're describing is the ultimate horror story. Incompetence replacing incompetence. 9 months of waiting awaits to get back to the future..