1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Butler

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers113, Jan 7, 2019.

1. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I keep checking all the news sites like every 30 minutes to hear the news that “his contract wasn’t renewed.”

Our defense isn’t atrocious; it does some things well. Mainly limiting points of the high profile offenses in the league (other than the Chiefs), giving our supposed vaunted offense a chance to win games 30-20.

My main beef is the insane ease at which we give up 4th quarter drives. That’s reason enough for change. But then the more I think about it, the more this league is turning into a “whoever has the ball last wins” league.

We’ve been drafting the guys that should be generating turnovers, but they haven’t been. We need a DC that’s willing to take risks in order to get them.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    In case you didn't read my post in the other thread:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...portedly-wants-to-beef-up-his-coaching-staff/

That might be the sign we are (not) looking for. My guess is Butler stays.

3. Danthesteelersman

Danthesteelersman Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2018
    He's staying

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Maybe we can turn this negative into a positive in the future. If Vegas has odds on coaches being fired we can make some dough. It's simple ....has contract = stays....expiring contract = goes.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    13 wins was lipstick on a pig, just ask Heinz.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    By quarters, our defense was ranked 14, 3, 14 and 24 in points allowed. (For fuller context, our offensive scoring per quarter was 21, 2, 5 and 24.)

So no surprise: when our offense is clicking, the defense stays fresh and spends less time being tested. Perhaps a bit chicken and egg here...

• Like Like x 1
  7. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Lets look at 4th quarter meltdowns from this unit. Butler stays :lolol: You can't make it up. I think he is still preparing for Eifert

215px-The_Wizard_of_Oz_Ray_Bolger_1939.jpg

8. Hollywoodbags68

Hollywoodbags68 Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2017
    I have less of a problem with Butler staying than that jabroni Danny Smith.

The Steelers defense was not great. But they weren’t the worst in the league. The special teams unit was worst in the league by a long shot and they have terrible for years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Steelers '08

Steelers '08 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2016
    You hit the nail on the head we need turnovers. They might have played ok statically but they were terrible when it counts. As you said we NEVER get any turnovers. You can’t win that way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Still in utter disbelief that Butler is likely to stay. It does not make sense. How many more Foruth Quarter Leads will be blown until the message is received and understood?

Is maintaining success too difficult to ask?! For that matter, is change too much to wish for?!?!?!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Brews Crew

Brews Crew Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    This guy's got the goods on someone...

12. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I tried to prepare everyone for this news. It doesn't surprise me at all. I personally would not have been upset if Butler had been fired but I really did not expect him to be fired. It just isn't the way the Steelers usually operate.

13. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    If I'm understanding the gist of this it seems the O and the D are going in the tank in the 4th quarter. Any hypothesis as to why?

14. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I really hope it's not financially motivated. It seems now that he and Tomlin are joined at the hip. Someone else mentioned Tomlin being on the last year of his contract as well. If that is indeed the case and the fact he hasn't received a extension may be telling.
    Pure speculation but maybe Tomlin was given the option and decided to stay with Butler because of their relationship past and present. It could be a make or break season for both. As it should be....

15. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Ok lets continue to cover WR'S with LB's and play 10 yds off the ball in zone. In today's NFL where you can't even touch WR's the bend but don't break doesn't seem to be working.

There will be teams playing this weekend without a defensive backfield full of first or second round picks some teams die to injury will be playing third string guys and yet they seem to be able to cover and even make the so called splash plays.

The previous comment of this should be a make or break year, maybe last years 13-3 record didn't do us any favors as the last three years should have been make or break years for both Butler and Tomlin.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    There were a few games Boswell won for us or we would have been right where we were this year. So, I agree with you. The proof to me was how we were beech slapped in the playoffs, by Bortles, after a bye, at home,for a second time..

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    7-9 in 2019. You heard it here first.