1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Has you Steelers Fanship waned?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelcitian, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Nj43

Nj43 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Been a fan of this team since 74. Always loved the blue collar approach and the way the Rooney’s ran the franchise. But lately im disappointed and somewhat embarrassed by these players and the way Mr Rooney has been somewhat silent on all of it. Kind of hoping we trade Brown and get rid of the malcontents and become the Steelers again. That said, myself and now my 10 year old are locked in every Sunday. Go Steelers

2. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    The Patriots have ruined the NFL for me. These days, I'm just as passionate about rooting for them to lose... as I am for the Steelers to win. Sad. I hope the Super Bowl is Patriots-free... but I probably won't get my wish.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    <<< My Avatar says it all - a relic from my Dad's first Season Ticket package that he maintained until we moved to Cali in 1965. That loyalty and enthusiasm (rain or shine, win or lose) has never waned and now extends 4 generations (plus 2 Son-In-Law converts). As other "senior" Board Members have stated, this is a "till death do us part" arrangement. Longevity provides more patience and appreciation for being a life-long member of the Blessed Steeler Nation. Any beefs I have with Steeler players are the same beefs that I have for Society at large with the disrespect and dismissal of traditions and acceptable social behavior. These are certainly not limited just to Steeler players but are systemic to a changing world, and IMHO, not for the better. Personally, I can't wait for opening KO at the first 2019 pre-season game and the hopefully 20+ games to follow. :steelflag:

• Like Like x 3
  4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    The game itself is less enjoyable with all the rule changes. Was a much better product pre concussion era, plus all the flags every game. I'm sure there isn't a fan in the world that doesn't automatically look at the corner of the screen after every play.

The Steelers themselves though, love just as much as always. If they jettison AB, I'm sure the drama will be just about done. I think him, Bell and Mitchel were responsible for a lot of the problems on this team. The only one left after that is Ben.

They have been making an effort to draft high character guys these last 2 or 3 drafts, so hopefully things will get better inside the locker room and have a unified team that cares about only one thing, winning.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Hoot

Hoot Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2018
    I haven't seen numbers to validate that total penalties are actually up across the NFL this year, but it sure feels like it. The rules changes I think is a lot of it, but it isn't just the changes but understanding the changes. League is so over legislated. I am in the Pat Kirwan camp when he said (I think it was him), "If three guys in a bar know its a catch, its a catch." There was a time I could decipher a call or non-call on a field. Now, I just shrug my shoulders and wait for the league to waddle* in it for a few days then muddle it further via some cryptic explanation.

*yes. yes I did work that in there.

6. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    It has waned, but it started a couple years ago.

When you had players like Bettis, Ward, Farrior, Keisel...

LevBell, and the young money crew is really hard to like.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. 69-2now

69-2now Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2017
    When you put 50 years in with a team its hard not to watch.
    Give me 70's football over this I have a boo boo crap any day of the week.
    The PC generation has more $hit screwed up then the 3 stooges doing plumbing.

• Like Like x 2
  8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

This.

More disappointment than anything. Here is hoping change comes soon. Too much at stake as it stands.

9. Jares

Jares Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2016
    My interest in the team has not diminished. My pride in them has, but I think I would feel that way about any team because of this group of players as a whole. My belief that we are doing things the right way has been eroded. Guys like Ward, Bettis, and Troy....there anren't many of them left anywhere.

10. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Yep, I remember 70`s football. Actually the very beginning, the planting of the seed of the mutated fruit we have now began in the mid-70`s. Players used to actually hate the other team they faced back then and before. Now it`s a millionaires club with hugging and a prayer at the end of the game. Those who lived through and saw old school football at least have the memories about when they played more for pride than the money. Some stuff was just wrong back then like taking a guy out of the game on purpose (head hunting), etc. Poor Bradshaw got piled driven one time. There were some excesses for sure like that. I think they should have paid them more way back when too, but too much money changes the game. Time always changes things.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I don't get nearly as stressed out as I used to so in a way my enthusiasm has waned but not my fandom. I actually laugh when I think of the boneheaded things that go on with this team and realize that there is nothing I can do about it and the organization is not making the major changes necessary to correct the discrepancies that are so obvious. I'm all for blowing the whole thing up and starting over but I just think that they will replace one set of clowns with another group so long as this ring leader is in charge.

Personally, I think the Rooneys have branched out too much with the shared ownership and it will never be the way it used to be when to comes to Championship success.

The Steelers will always be my team but my expectancy of them has nearly fallen off a cliff.

12. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    So true!

13. LambertsDentist

LambertsDentist Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Being a Steeler fan is like being a parent albeit to a lesser degree (hopefully). Just like we're hurt and disapointed by our kids yet still love them, so are we hurt and disapointed by our team yet remain fans. The only differences are the degrees of love we have for the Steelers and our kids and the fact that I'm not about to try spanking AB's butt if he misbehaves.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    My fandom has not diminished. Actually, I am probably more passionate about the Steelers than ever. Why you ask? (thanks for asking). Because every season I long to see their glory days reignited, to see a new dynasty emerge, and to see a season play out like I expect. However, I do this each season out of love for the Steelers and not out of love for the NFL. As hard as I try to accept that I am getting older and all things change, I really despise what this game has become. I am going to run for President in 2020 and my campaign slogan is going to be "Make defense great again". Thank you all for your support!

• Like Like x 3
  15. BussyMcBusface

BussyMcBusface Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2019
    Never

• Like Like x 1
  16. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    It has as I have aged, they are my hometown team. I have watched them for over 50 years.
    All sports in general have gone downhill. I see so many poor fundamentals being executed in all of sports
    and I wonder what happened? Football was a beautiful game in the 70's, not so much now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. steel_upper_lip

steel_upper_lip Well-Known Member

May 16, 2018
    Started supporting the Steelers in the 80s when NFL came to Uk screens. Picked the Steelers as they dressed in black and I was a dedicated Stranglers/punk fan. As long as they dont change the colour of their uniforms my allegiance will be unwavering.

Compared to the 80s the last season was terrific

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Born Black and Gold die Black and Gold but this me me me bull**** is getting to me in sports. I'm an avid Pirate fan and use to tell people the Steelers and Penguins help to ease the pain but now it is just the Penguins.

Really a bad time for me with the Eagles on the rise. I took a beating from their fans with the National Anthem BS and now they are just destroying me. My only reply now is 6 to 1 and I'm hoping to hell I don't have to resort to 6 to 2.

19. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Agree with the first part of this. My year used to be covered pretty well between the Bucs and Steelers. But the Bucs' ownership has shown over the past 20 years that they aren't really interested in fielding a winner so much as keeping a viable revenue stream going in a small-to-mid-sized market.

20. Remahlehs

Remahlehs Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2018
    My NFL fandom in general has gone down over the last decade.

I used to watch the early game pregame shows all the way through SNF. Nowadays, I only watch the Steelers game.

A combination of on the field things has turned me off: hesitating to celebrate until I've waited 10 seconds to make sure no flags were thrown, the steady rule changes to make games more offense-focused, players complaining after every play that there should have been a flag, celebrating a tackle made 20 yards downfield or picking up a first down when your team is down multiple scores, poor fundamentals leading to broken tackles and wide open receivers, overprotection of quarterbacks, etc.

I believe the off-field drama speaks for itself.

• Agree Agree x 3
  21. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    This x100

• Like Like x 1
  22. Da_Cranberry

Da_Cranberry Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2018
    Pretty much this & also we just aren't the classy hard nosed team we were in the 90-00's. It's just not Steelers football to me, maybe that's why I'm so much on the JuJu hype train because he and Watt play the way I expect Steelers to play.

If you were to ask me in the 90's & 00's who the Steelers were I would mention our defense and how tough our players are. We have a lot of little bitches on this team now & we are soft asf.

I went through my cycle of absolute hatred of the Pats to now I just except they have our number. Even when we win we lose against them just like this year. Ok, we blew our load finally beating them but we missed the playoffs.

I hope we don't mess up JuJu & Watt.

23. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Has my Steelers fanship waned? If I am being honest, yeah it has a little bit. I am disgusted with how this team is being run. I will always be a die hard fan, but for the first time in a long time, I am not very optimistic about next season. The kind of sweeping changes everyone keeps talking about are not going to happen. I believe we will begin the 2019 season with largely the same roster, and largely the same coaching staff as 2018. The problems that the Steelers have can not be solved by firing your running backs coach.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I think they are going to win the SB every year & let other team's fans know it. I eat alot of humble pie.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Every team has it's issues. The Steelers traditionally have been one of the best in the league in handling those issues IMO. That all starts at the ownership, which I believe is one of the top owners in the league.

I think Art and company are going through some valuable lessons. I am pretty much entirely sure that the circus we have seen this year will not continue.

The only way I become a non-Steelers fan is if the team was sold