1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Shocked Porter is the only coach gone

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by BK99, Jan 5, 2019.

1. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Got ya

2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I am not sure how you can say this when we are always struggling to be under the cap,.
    The Steelers pay their players top notch fair market value money. This is why we have
    not been a big FA player. The Steelers pay their own people.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    This team has a serious illness and Tomlin is handing out aspirin. And deflecting blame.

The more I hear of just how bad the locker room was , I am amazed they won the games they did .

Last week someone reported the Steelers locker room players meeting lasted only 20 minutes.

Sounds like most wanted to just leave.

I am not really feeling good about this changing soon enough. Tomlin should have done something to stop it much sooner, before he wasted a season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Damn right! Find us a LB coach that can show those bums how to cover WRs!

Porter needed to be gone long ago. It's a step... but a little, tiny one. There are much bigger problems here. Nothing will change until Tomlin is gone. At the very least, a strong DC that takes full control is needed. Rex would work. I do fear this move is it and, even if other change is coming, it will likely be after some good candidates are taken. Dumb.

5. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    To borrow someone else's line that works very well....all these issues such as AB losing it,the " sleepwalking ", the Kardashiian quote and the O vs D and finger pointing are all SYMPTOMS of the sickness or disease not only in the locker room but in the culture that has been allowed to deteriorate because of the lack of leadership. Too much talking and not enough action. Everything is fine when you're winning but where are the guys stepping up to fix things when they're going South. All you hear from the HC and the" leaders" are we gotta do better,his can't happen again only to see things continue to happen. The same mistakes and the same losing to inferior teams. How many years has it been now that inexcusable losses have cost us seeding or the playoffs all together?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Its what us always said. Ridiculous

7. knab70

knab70 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2012
    I'm not aware of any deadline as to when the fat lady can sing. Stay tune!

GoaLine you may ask thesteeldeal for any interpretation if need be! ;)

• Like Like x 1
  8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The season just ended a week ago, more changes could happen to the coaching staff still.

9. YinzerBuckeye

YinzerBuckeye Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2015
    Why on earth would they wait to fire him if that were the case? Something doesn't smell right.

10. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Exactly

11. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I think Porter was fired first because of the locker room culture issues. This sends a message to the rest of the team and staff. If Porter is included in a list of guys they let go, the message is diluted. Firing Porter a week or so of everyone else and right after the season ends, sets him apart.

I would expect the others, if there are anymore, will come soon. Hopefully Butler is one of them.

• Like Like x 1
  12. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Except he wasn't fired. Hts contract was up.

13. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    since splitting hairs is your shtick, he was hired as a def assistant in Feb 2014, promoted to OLB coach in Feb 2015, but they announced they would not renew his contract a month early. Call it what you will.

• Like Like x 1
  14. chris2fer

chris2fer Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2016
    This is the failure of Tomlin, Butler was on a podcast talking about their upcoming game with the Bengals saying we have to make sure we cover Tyler Eifert he is dangerous, hey dumbass Eifert has been on IR practically all season. Are you kidding me he’s the DC and doesn’t even know who is going to be on the field? That is a failure on Tomlin for not firing him immediately. If you’re still defending this coaching staff you need your head checked.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Do not worry.

Butler will be gone sooner than later. Only a matter of time.

16. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    This makes sense to me. I've been puzzled why Butler is still here. Getting the feeling he's returning next year BUT never thought to look at when he was signed.... Date wise..... So maybe once his contract expires, technically on the 12, will be when the good news comes down the pipe.

Cajun

17. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    If in fact Butler contract expires on Jan 13, they can still say they're not going to to renew it. Of course, he'll still get paid thru the term of the deal. But nothing prevents the team from saying they won't extend it. Unless they're negotiating the new deal now.

18. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    More lies, that's why. Deflection. Deflection. Deflection.

19. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Settled in to watch the games today and the topic of the day on day two of the playoffs is the Steelers dirty laundry flapping in the wind how freaking embarrassing.

Rooney take notice the team your family turned into one of the most respected franchises in the NFL is now a dysfunctional mess and a joke.

This mess is bigger than Porter. Lets hope bigger changes are coming .

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Maybe they are trying to extract as much information out of him ,so they have a plan of what not to do ever again... :shrug:

21. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    So I guess just porter? Lol

22. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Looking that way. I really don't think they're to concerned with the actual date his contract expires. That would be silly to say the least. Don't they wanna give him a chance to get another job....oh that's right.

• Like Like x 1
  23. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  24. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    imo, Butler was a Rooney hire, not Tomlin's. It will be the Rooneys that determine whether he stays or gos. Tomlin has about as much say in the matter as Cowher had when drafting Ben.

25. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    It may have been a strong Rooney recommendation because Butler was promised the job after DL but he and Tomlin go way back. I'm pretty sure I read Butler was the one who gave Tomlin one of his first if not his first coaching job.

• Informative Informative x 1