1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Perfect trade scenario for Antonio Brown

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Jan 2, 2019.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Nor do I.

John Gruden has essentially stripped down the team for a rebuild and New York needs to find a good receiver to assist young Darnold. Having a hard worker with HOF talent like AB assists both of them.

Wildcard pick is Arizona. Given the fact that Larry Fitzgerald might be done in Arizona, having Brown could cushion this blow. Furthermore, this allows Arizona to address other needs. Obtaining the number one overall pick is extremely unlikely. Number 33 on the other hand with Patrick Peterson? That is a trade I would be willing to entertain.

2. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I was saying 1st pick overall from the Cardinals lol the second from SF would look good too. There may not be any offers that good. There’s absolutely no reason not to get a King’s ransom for him if we do in fact trade him. Anything less than a top 10-15 pick would need a pretty significant add.

3. Hollywoodbags68

Hollywoodbags68 Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2017
    AB is arguably the best WR in football. And they may trade him because he doesn’t get along with Tomlin, who is a really bad head coach.

Here is a crazy idea. Keep the guy who is good at his job and get rid of the guy who sucks at his job.

Anyone who thinks this will be a better team without AB is out of their mind.

4. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Here is lies the biggest isssue. Regardless of how gifted or talented AB is, said person is now a problem; an unthinkably, colossal one at that. Keeping him around increases the toxicity of the entire lockeroom; JuJu and James being the biggest recipients without question.

Should he stay, it is very possible that said levels of toxic behaviour could rub off on either JuJu, James or both. That cannot happen. Brown needs to be dealt; better or worse being irrelevant at present. Repercussions can be dealt with at a later date.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    News flash, Brady has already said he wants to play for another 4-5 years. And I believe him.

6. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Sadly, this. I would absolutely hate to see a game-breaker like AB leave, but if he's going to poison the youngsters, whether directly or indirectly - then there really isn't much choice.

7. Da_Cranberry

Da_Cranberry Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2018
    Saying and doing are way different. He sucks this year, his reads are slow and he is missing passes. There is no way that little punk makes it pass next year. He fell off the cliff.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  8. Hollywoodbags68

Hollywoodbags68 Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2017
    Well, if I buy that perspective then the coach still needs to go.

You can’t have someone set fire to a building, call the fire department to extinguish the fire, and then not arrest the arsonist.

9. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Oh do not get the wrong impression. Tomlin's continued inability to reign in the drama and nonsense has now proliferated throughout the entire lockeroom; the organization possibly. AB is both a direct and indirect result of Tomlin's lack of discipline.

That all said, AB still has to go. Tomlin is now beginning to see that even though he has been given many different warning signs before this. Should AB stay, expect Tomlin to lose complete control of the lockeroom; his termination being sooner than later the most likely outcome.

10. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Yep.

Only so much punishment the body can take. Regardless of how many rule changes the NFL makes, age will always win. American Gridiron Football is a collision based sport. No exceptions.

For that matter, while the NFL initally installed rules to further protect their superstars like Brady and Rodgers, let us not get the wrong impression. The NFL is investing its future as well. Andrew Luck, Patrick Mahomes, Jared Goff, Josh Allen, Mitchell Trubrisky, Baker Mayfield, Josh Rosen, Sam Darnold and DeShaun Watson all are currently next in line to carry the mantle for the future of the league; better or worse being irrelevant at this point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    AB going to Pittsburgh West would be totally fine with me. Peterson being here would be more then fine. It would be awesome. He still has a couple of pro bowl years left in him.

12. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Lol. He made the Sb last year and his int increased by 3, td decreased by 3 rating decreased by 5. Team still won a playoff bye with an average defense. Team still beat a hot chiefs team at the time and beat the bears.

Ok sure I’ll say the patriots are mortal I guess lol
    :hmm:

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Given the fact that Pittsburgh's still needs that other guy for Joe Haden, Patrick Peterson is still a great cornerback. Furthermore, in our scheme, while Joe is still the top guy, there really is not any necessity for Patrick to follow the opposing teams number one receiver anymore. Patrick obtains more favorable matchups and Pittsburgh nabs another rock solid corner.

Win win as I see it. In addition, now the need for Cornerback disappears in the draft. Target something else.

14. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Like I have posted in other threads I want the wait and see approach. I mean we are not playing in any of the next few weeks so let's see what happens, the media and the social media scene gets a little blown up some times and every little thing gets taken for more than it sometimes is. Again I am not sticking up for AB but this team is not better without him. I am also not against trading him especially if Peterson is involved but I want to hear more I want to see if the relationship can be fixed.

IMO there isn't a better combo than Ben and AB, these guys work so well together and if this is gonna come to an end I want to be sure it is the right thing to do. This is a very different age then many of us are use to. A lot of us are old school, defense and ground and pound but not only has football changed so has the world. Social media, money and stardom are major things players never had to deal with before. Not making excesses for AB but I don't want to jump off that ship yet, I am sure the Rooneys will do the right thing so it is a wait and see game for me......

• Like Like x 1
  15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Theres plenty out there to back up the assertion that AB cares only about AB. If this was a one time incident, I'd agree with you but I don't need a jury verdict to tell me AB is selfish and cares only about getting his 8 catches for 165 yards. If he gets his catches and yards, he's just as happy if they win or lose. Ryan Clark has been saying this for a while, other ex players too, people who are in the know and much better versed than we are about this stuff.

They are a better team without him from the standpoint he isn't there creating division and distractions. They are a better team without him because Ben doesn't feel the pressure to have to get AB the ball, he finds the guy who is most open, which is when the offense operates at its best.

Believe me, I was a huge AB fan and was slow to get with this view but it's undeniable now, his actions are getting worse. He'll just muck things up again next season and poison any of the young guys in the locker room. Shlereth was saying football is the ultimate team sport, you have to care more about your teammates than yourself. That does not define AB.

These superstar me first divas don't win SB's, Moss and TO didn't. Get the draft picks for him or Peterson, team will be better off.

• Winner Winner x 2
  16. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Let’s not forget the impact that AB has in getting other people open. He nearly always draws the primary attention of 2 pass defenders on every play on passing downs, and generally forces a safety outside of the box on his side of the field.

As I said in another thread, we as non-insiders simply don’t know whether the situation is salvageable. If it can be salvaged, I think we’re a better team in 2019 with him than with any possible draft pick. Patrick Peterson plus pick #33.... maybe that would be a different story. What would you consider acceptable compensation if there were no issues?

17. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    The same thing was said about Holmes when he was let go. Then again in 4 years when Wallace was allowed to walk. As long as Ben is the QB, I'll take that chance. Especially with JJSS waiting in the wings.

Will the offene be better without AB? Probably not. But an offense that can operate without the pressure of placating AB can be more balanced and consistent. The additional players/picks in a trade could shore up some weak spots. Overall this team could be much better in very short order without him.

18. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I know you use to be a AB guy I remember a conversation we had where I mentioned Ward had to pull AB aside and helped him. With all that said I don't disagree with what your saying but I am in a wait and see mode before I make my decision about wanting him gone. Like you and others point out we are not insiders and many people more "knowledgeable" than us have given their opinion I will rather hear from what out team has to say. Let's see what the players have to say who are the ones that matter cause they have to play with him.

Sitting here one week after all this BS has happened and us not making the playoffs I would rather step make and wait to see what happens before I am ready to ship this guy off. IMO there is no way we are a better team without AB, no way. Juju is a good WR but does he do what he did without AB getting doubled.....I am not sure. However I am with you there is no room on this team for a me first cancer, but all I am saying is pump the brakes let's see what happens. jmo

19. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I'm actually going a bit soft on Tomlin in the past week. I've moved back out of the FMTI crowd as I realize that there were major locker room issues going on in plain sight that we didn't see. Although it is largely on his shoulders for allowing the locker room to become as dysfunctional as it is, I like the way he's handling everything since last Sunday. I'm all for giving him one last chance to reign things in and think that simply moving AB will go a long way towards fixing things. Im actually very hopeful that if he and the Steelers play this the right way, they could become a much better team real quick.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Trade AB to free agency for Landry Jones.

21. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I have not given up on Tomlin either my friend. Just pointing out some of his shortcomings; some greater than others. I still believe he can write this ship. :)

That being said, for him to truly win back the good graces of many, he needs to change. Getting rid of the bad apples is a good start; their "appearance" being irrelevant. It has already started with Porter. Butler is likely gone within either a matter of days or weeks. Antonio Brown, for better or worse, will be traded.

After that, let us find out if said changes can assist the team in 2019. I believe it is Tomlin's last chance. Should he fail, he is as good as gone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I understand and it is a risk but I just don't feel what he brings on the field is worth the baggage that comes with him anymore.

I'd take Peterson for AB straight up. I'd take a top 15 1st rd pick. I'd take a late 1st + 2nd rd. I'd take a bevy of 2nd, 3rd and 4th.

His transgressions haven't gotten less, they've gotten worse. I don't think he is salvageable. He quit on the team, didn't answer calls from MT or Rooney and then shows up on game day expecting to play. That is the behavior of someone with serious entitlement issues and a weak grasp of reality.

Steelers will probably sign a FA to take some of the heat off JuJu, whom I believe is a rising star and will only continue to get better. Washington started to make plays down the stretch. They can highlight Vance more, then there is still the draft which is probably the position they draft best.

I feel it's best for them to move on without him.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Nobody is writing Moore off, so please stop writing that. He isn't a No. 1 right now and he isn't guaranteed to become one. Posting that is not the same thing as writing him off.

24. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Can you convince AB for us?

25. chris2fer

chris2fer Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2016
    I’m here to disagree with whatever you said above and argue with you and stalk you. Just like you do me ,carry on.