1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Shocked Porter is the only coach gone

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by BK99, Jan 5, 2019.

1. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    With the constant turmoil and poor defense this season, I'm amazed Butler hasn't been let go. I guess the Rooney's are going to give all of them another shot in 2019. Is it too late for them to let others go or are they just taking their time with the end of season evaluations?

• Like Like x 1
  2. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Shocked? Not at all. Maybe like you said they are gonna make one more run at it. I can reluctantly live with that I guess. If that is the case though Tomlins wagon needs to be hitched securely to Butlers. There will be no scapegoats next year....clean house

3. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    He isn’t. And it’s not even been a week since the season ended.
    Have some patience.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

This.

Tomlin is biding his time. Someone out there has his interest at present most likely. When the oppurtunity arrives, change will continue. Plenty of firings overall that can happen between now and later. No need to rush.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
  6. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Why don't the steelers act when the opportunity presents itself.
    We could've brought K.Greene into the fold. We could've made an attempt to bring Whisenhunt back. Now, we have fallen asleep after getting advice(that worked mind you), on Jim Herrmann.

7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    There are some recently-fired HCs out there who were very solid DCs before their failed HC gigs. I hope we have our eye on one or more of them (Bowles, Wilks, maybe Joseph or Lewis).

8. vlad582

vlad582 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Tomlin has to keep stiffs around so he has an excuse why we underperformed the next few years. It's like the show survivor, where you have keep threats around to take the heat of you being voted out.

This way we can get rid of more assistants next year, butler the next year, and Fichtner the next year. Tomlin buying himself 3 more years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
  10. ST-ILL-ERS FAN

ST-ILL-ERS FAN Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Butler only has one more year remaining on his contract. That might be the main reason why. I assume they still have yo pay him if they let him go.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Typical cheap Rooney's.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Not trying to:beathorse:, but does that mean Butler’s contract is fully guaranteed?

13. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    If that's the case you gotta be kidding me. How cheap can you get? I don't share the same optimism as some of you that think Butler will eventually be fired this offseason. I would think that the Rooneys being as nice as they typically are would of let Butler go to try and land somewhere. Then again they have to know no one wants him....lol

14. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I've heard conflicting things. Some have said he has 1 year left some have said he doesn't. Too lazy to look myself or maybe I'm scared he does have 1 left. Anyway pretty sure all coaches contracts are guaranteed

15. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Closest information I found on Keith's contract details was from an Article written on January 13, 2015 by CBS Sports Author Igor Mello. States that Keith met with Tomlin to finalize a Three Year Deal. The article itself did not give any specifics. The full article is here:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cb...te-keith-butler-to-defensive-coordinator/amp/

However, one quick tibit about the article. Says that the contract was finalized that Monday. That day was the 12th of January. Assuming his contract is indeed ending on the 12th, he has six more days. If that aspect is correct, that means we likely will not hear much of anything come next week until the date.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  16. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
  17. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
  18. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    A 3 year deal in 2015 would have expired after the 2017 season.
    1)2015 season
    2)2016 season
    3)2017 season

19. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Seriously. What could be worse than a actual coach purposely ruining a locker room. Yet they waited until the end of the year like he's so hard to replace. That's a very interesting point you made. Can you say another scapegoat for Tomlin? Locker room is a mess let's blame Porter. Isn't he buddies with MT and MT couldn't put a stop to it? Nothing ceases to amaze me with this team. Just a bunch of wannabe leaders from the HC down.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. sjromano

Nov 3, 2011
    This has been MT's MO this entire season. Lying to the press, changing his stories, now deflecting blame onto a lesser coach.

Yes, Porter should be shown the door, no doubt. But if the Rooney's look at this exit and think that all of the problems are suddenly fixed... sigh.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

As I said, closet thing to details I could find. Still looking!

22. Steelers '08

Steelers '08 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2016
    It sucks the people that need to be gone aren’t, but yet Bell and most likely AB are gone. We started the season looking like a top seed team. but now we lost 2/3 of our three B’s. I like Juju and Conner, but I like Juju and Conner with AB and Bell.

23. sjromano

Nov 3, 2011
    I feel this is going to come down to a few things if we trade AB:

1) Picking up another WR1 or WR2 that can draw enough coverage away from Juju
    2) Evening the run/pass balance, even if it's just a little. This season was too lopsided
    3) We have to have a D that can make stops late in the game. And I think that means either stud OLB to bookend TJ or a ball-hawk DB / thumper Safety.

If we can manage at least 2 of those 3, we might just be alright post-AB.

24. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    You better count on 2 and 3 because you don't just find guys that impact defenses like AB does. JUJU will be the new double cover guy. I highly doubt you find anyone in FA that can change that unless you trade AB for another top 5 WR.

25. sjromano

Nov 3, 2011
    What I was sort of hinting at, I guess. I know you can't just find talent like him. But if combined with the other items I mentioned, then 1-to-1 talent/skill swap isn't that critical.