1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers fire Porter

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by uncblue012, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    The fifth-year option is guaranteed for: (1) injury, when exercised; and (2) skill, as of the start of the player’s fifth league year.

So they’d have to get something done before March. I think it also would have to be longer than a one-year deal. (Fifth-year options are non-negotiable.)

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
  3. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I thinks Matthews will be looking for a short term deal once Green Bay cuts him loose. I'd like Barr as well but the only reason the Vikings are going to let him get away is because they are cash strapped and he is due a big payday. Might be too rich for the Steelers

4. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Yeah I really think they get a longer deal done with him for 5-6 mil per year. I think he's worth that kind of deal. I just don't see the Steelers using 9mil in cap space for Dupree.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I would really hope they take a close look at whoever else they can get in that 5-6 million range. The position needs to be upgraded. They are holding on to KA and Ola through thick and thin I hope there's something there and maybe we can bring back Chickillo on the cheap for STs and backup OLB. I definitely would explore other options in Dudprees price range....

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I like Chick and the other guys you mentioned as a #4 OLB. I really think we need to bring in someone whether draft or FA to compete with Bud for that #2 spot and the loser takes the #3.
    JMO

7. spleeny09

spleeny09 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I understand he is gone whether it is a firing or an end of contract...but it matters a lot whether he was fired or released at end of contract.

Another member on here posted that the steelers havent "fired" a coach in 50 years. I'm not sure if that is accurate or not but if it is, then it shows a trend that the Steelers aren't letting any coaches go until their contract is up...to include Danny Smith, Mike Tomlin, and Keith Butler (if he is truly on an extension).

If true...then we may have seen the one and only coach that will not be back next season...which is sad.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Well we have to sign Bud and I don't think we will be able to get him cheap enough as a third string. So it's not really a loser is third scenario. I think they have to decide if it's best to spend that 5-6 on Dud or someone else and then use what's left for back ups. If they sign him to deal like that you know he's playing no matter what. That's how I see it anyway

9. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Yeah he wasn’t fired. I’m not sure where people are getting that? Heck while unlikely who’s to say Porter would have resigned with the team?

10. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    See we were doing good till you started up with the Dud nonsense. Almost going to be impossible to have an unbiased conversation with you on the matter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. spleeny09

spleeny09 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    My guess is Porter would have re-signed if given the opportunity but I would not blame anyone for wanting to move on and not be a part of this drama any longer.

Chances are Mike Munchak is probably thinking that exact same thing.

• Like Like x 1
  12. knab70

knab70 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2012
    Utah is about a 9hr. cruise west of the station. KNAB-104.7 radio is in Burlington CO The "70" (I-70)

50 years of covering local news and sports. :hi:

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Nonono.

Ultimately when I said that and, as I told NB, I meant keeping his hands off of the offensive and defensive playcalling. There is a reason why they are called Coordinators. Let them perform their intended roles.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

I agree but looking at the LB's out there I am wondering if he will get that. Clowney, Ford, Graham plus guys like Clark, Lawrence and Flowers could eat up that money and maybe Barr slides. That is what I was looking at he may price himself out of out range.

15. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Why because he's a Dud? Oh that's right you were one of the guys trying to compare him to Watt by pointing out the few games Watt didn't play his best. That was you right? Dupree=dud. Watt=stud...lol

16. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    If you wanna have an intelligent discussion about what makes sense with Dupree going forward I'm in, but if you want to just call the guy little pet names then I'm out.

17. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I am pretty sure he isn't the only one that calls him Dud, I see it all the time on here. Just trying to be fair here

18. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I'm sure Steeldeal can speak for himself. Or did you guys rehearse this like the little tag team troll job you pulled on SDot?

19. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Nope and don't go there dude cause you were a tagger. and I will speak on whatever I want if you don't like it you know where ignore is....but you won't do that cause you like running people in the ground for their opinions especially if it don't match yours

20. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Nope just pointing out when someone is factually wrong.

21. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    who

22. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Ok fair enough. He stinks . He gotta go. Watt needs a running mate. Dupree isn't the answer. Watt has blown past Duprees production in 2 years. Time to admit their mistake and cut bait....IMO.
    That's the best I can do....;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

Again if that helps you sleep man.....

WHO

24. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I can tell you this. I'm not going to get upset if he gets cut. I still believe he offers some value for us as a 2/3 OLB at a reasonable rate. I know this much I really doubt he'll see that 9 million.

25. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

You have an inside sourse...I mean how do you know?