1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Coaches that should be gone in 2019

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelcitian, Dec 30, 2018.

1. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    In all honesty, if Greg Williams is passed over in Cleveland for the HC position, is there any chance he becomes available as a DC?

I also thought Williams was a top defensive mind in the NFL and I think the Cleveland D proved it this year.

I think today's game highlighted why Williams is not HC material.

2. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Until Tomlin is gone, the culture here is not going to change. I would not be surprised at all if not a single change is made to the staff.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Defense and special teams need to improve. Art Rooney needs to tell a Tomlin to fire whomever he needs to do that.

4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I’m not going to say Tomlin, because I know that’s not going to happen (even if it should).

1. Butler. As mentioned by someone else above, maybe Bowles would be a natural replacement.
    2. Porter
    3. Smith. I think this one will happen. He’ll be the sacrificial lamb to show that coaches are being held accountable.

I don’t know about Olsavsky. I think he does OK with the lack of talent the FO provides him. It’s not like VW, Bostic, Fort and Dirty Red are a murderers row of great ILB talent.

I’m a bit torn on Bradley. Burns regressed under him. Davis was subpar as a starter, but improved over last season. Hilton was worse. Sutton hasn’t really developed. Edmunds is maddeningly inconsistent, but he’s a raw rookie. He shows promise, but I really don’t know how much of that is due to Bradley.

5. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Again coaching puts the players in a better position to not need the players in those situations. In juju's case they should be telling him ball security above all else. For Ridley two hands on the ball and get down because they are playing for the strip. It's a give and take need to put your players in the best position to succeed

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Oh dear lord. They are pros man. If they need coaches to tell them that then we ARE in trouble

7. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Need some discipline from locker room leaders also.

8. vlad582

vlad582 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Another successful winning season for Mike Tomlin. Hope they lock him up for life!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  9. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Well then at least we will have clarity as to who and what the real problem is

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Yes they do I don't know why people think learning stops at the pro level. I remember a FA rb or maybe Wr that the Steelers had signed and his first experience with the Ravens rivalry he was trying to fight for extra yards and predictably the two ravens players one held him up and the other stripped the ball. I sat there going why didn't someone tell this veteran to secure the ball and get to the ground because that's what the Ravens do, play for the strip every time. Players need to be coached especially about holes in their game. Heck if Ben ever figured out like Brady has that 40 5 yard throws that move the chains and score TD''s can lead to wins and SB MVP''s he would be better than Bradshaw ever was but he won't he'd rather have 2 or 3 highlight plays a season instead of 12 straight 10+win seasons and division titles

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Yeah Bradley is a mystery to me as well. While the coverage skills and communication seemed to be a hot mess, the tackling was better than we have seen in the last couple of years. Their identifin of who their man is in zone coverage is atrocious though.

12. NE Missouri Steeler

NE Missouri Steeler Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2017
    Bowles will go be DC for Arians in Cleveland

13. YinzerBuckeye

YinzerBuckeye Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2015
    That would be such a Browns move. Mayfield would be wasted in Bruce's slow developing deep throw offense.

14. STEELMAN_CA

STEELMAN_CA Member

Dec 31, 2018
  15. Kevin James

Kevin James Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2012
    Everybody, but Mike Munchak, needs to go! If Tomlin stays, the only way I'm watching the Steelers is if they come on the RedZone Channel, enough is enough! Rooney may own the team, but this is our team and we need to make it clear that Tomlin needs to go.

16. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    TJ is a natural he's been good since day 1 and is only getting better. If he's learning from anybody its probably from his brother JJ, watching tapes of him and getting pointers. He's the quicker version of JJ. I would give zero credit to our staff for TJ's early success.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Lewis finally let go in Cincy

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I would take Greg Williams as DC over Lewis or Bowles. But he may get the HC job

19. NDsteelerfan

NDsteelerfan Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    even the pros need the reminder. especially in ju ju's case. 2nd year guys still need a reminder.

20. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    So you think coaching had anything to do with the Denver, Oakland and Chargers loses? If we win any of those games or even get a crucial stop were in the playoffs.

It's okay to say the coaches screw up at times, but to say they never do is wrong.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
    How do u know he wasnt? Just because he didnt?

22. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
    Not saying they dont screw up. Damn guys. You cant blame coaches for everything. The players have to have some responsibility.
    So Sean Davis knocks the hell out of his own dude who is gonna make a pick in the endzone but ends up being a td pass in chargers game, that had nothing to do with the outcome? But a bad 3 and 4 call does?
    They win and lose as a team I get that. You dont cut Ben when he throws crucial picks or a player when he fumbles or misses a tackle so.why are coaches always the scapegoat.

Tomlin ain't perfect but to put this all on him is just wrong

23. NDsteelerfan

NDsteelerfan Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    nobody is saying the players are not blame, as well. but there needs to be a change at the helm. obviously the message from tomlin is falling on deaf ears, or isnt worth listeneing too. either way, the continued sub par play against lower compition is to glaring to ignore, at this point.

24. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    When you keep putting your linebackers on Allen, the Chargers best, quickest receiver the whole game in an obvious mismatch and the Chargers even say they knew we wouldn't make any changes THAT'S ON COACHES and that's wrong, and that's a lose and did I say that's wrong.

Sometimes coaches do make mistakes and MT sure makes his share.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Good job Atlanta!
    They just cleared out the coaching staff!
    They’ll make Playoffs next year.