1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Officicial Game Day Thread Pittburgh at New Orleans

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by zcoop, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    By the way, those of you who got too excited over the shiny new toy and suggested that having Conner miss this game didn't hurt the Steelers, you were clearly proven wrong. Ridley never gets on the field if Conner plays today. More importantly, for the second straight week, Samuels whiffed badly in pass protection. It was his mistake that blew up the series leading up to the fake punt. Conner has been outstanding in blitz pick-up. They missed him badly today.

2. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Man, all due respect to you, as everyone has a right to their own opinion... but

You really need to educate yourself on the Rooney Rule. It has nothing - NOTHING - to do with the firing of a coach, black, white, red, purple, whatever. There is nothing in that rule that states you have to have just cause to fire a minority coach, nor make a list justifying it, nor have given them ample time to prove/disprove themselves. Nothing. Stop saying there's even an inkling of thought that MT still has his job because of the Rooney Rule. You're just making yourself sound silly at this point.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Beltzhoover Kid

Beltzhoover Kid Active Member

Dec 23, 2018
    Thanks. Since I’m new here thought I’d bring something to the table with the avatar.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Actually, you did imply that when you said the Steelers could have easily been 9-7 last year. They won a lot of close games. They found a way to win, just as they have found ways to lose this season. They earned that 13-3. Your post suggests otherwise, which is why you have no credibility.

I do understand your frustration. It's tough to work so hard to support a point that is clearly wrong the way you are doing on this one.

5. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

OH srry, i didnt know you worked in the Steelers front office .... :clapping:

6. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    No, I think you misunderstand how the Rooney Rule works. Nowhere in the Rooney Rule does it say anything about lifetime job security. The Rooney's are very patient owners, even to a fault. I doubt they have even considered the optics of things when discussing Mike Tomlin's future.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    You succeeded!!! :applaud: Welcome to the board.

8. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    If Tomlin were the Charger coach, he would have been gone years ago! After all, they fired Schottenberg after going 14-2! The Raiders fired Hue Jackson. He's black

9. sjromano

Nov 3, 2011
    Schottenheimer was a power-hungry tool, but I get your point. lol

10. SuperSteelers

SuperSteelers Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2018
    That fake PI against Haden gave the Saints a free score. It sucks azz that one call changed the whole complexion of the game.

11. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    A very successful power hungry tool!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. sjromano

Nov 3, 2011
    Never really liked the guy, but he did get results when he had the talent. My respect meter for him went up (for only a moment) in the Steelers/Bengals matchup in Cincy where a fan had thrown snowballs onto the field - taking the mic and yelling to the crowd "We don't throw snowballs onto the field here, this isn't Cleveland!" Classic.

13. Jares

Jares Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2016
    I disagree that he proved himself the right hire years ago. Quite the contrary I think he proved himself the wrong hire almost from season 1 when he didn't care about playoff seeding and playing against a team he'd already lost to in the regular season. He paid for that by losing to them again in the playoffs. If you want me to give Tomlin and the Rooneys credit for having an average to decent team then, okay, I give them credit for that. Great job.

Please highlight in my posts where I said that the Rooney Rule itself had anything to do with job security? I believe I said twice that the Rooneys are concerned with the optics of firing Tomlin. I also said that part of those optics was due to being praised for their consistency and not wanting to tarnish that either.

Actually I think it must be harder for you to keep cheerleading a team that consistency plays down to bad teams every year. I'm not going to rehash the 13-3 argument anymore. You go on hanging on to that and the 1 and done playoff result and I'll try and advocate for a better team that can win a Super Bowl.

Again, please show me where I said that the Rooney Rule itself gives job security. Given the rest of your post, you seem to have understood what I was saying so I am not sure why you threw that first part in there. I respect your opinion on the optics issue though. Maybe they aren't, but I happen to think they are. We'll see.

14. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Think you're confusing him with Wyche ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Bye Felecia

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. sjromano

Nov 3, 2011
    Bud, it's on the previous page, I'm too lazy to go back and quote it - but you mentioned "Rooney Rule, optics, Rooney's AND backlash they would get if they fired Tomlin" - all in the same sentence. How is that not saying that you believe the Rooney Rule keeps them firing MT without being chastised for it, despite there being nothing in the rule that even discusses post-interviews of minorities? Easy to connect the dots to say that you are implying that the Rooney Rule offers some sort of job security because ownership is afraid to fire a minority coach.

17. sjromano

Nov 3, 2011
    Ah... was that Wyche? Oh yeah! Thanks for the correction.

I stand corrected, I hate Schottenheimer fully once again. He's a tool.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I don't have to work in the Steelers' front office to know a stupid idea when I read one. You two are pushing a stupid idea.

19. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Yeah he fumbled twice in the 4th quarter :facepalm:

20. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    You had me at "Thanks"! You and Lambert need to post more often. Please!

21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Where am I cheerleading? I've been saying it was time to move on from Tomlin since the loss in Oakland. I ripped the Steelers for the sloppy play that put them in this position today and during the three-game losing streak. You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. You made a horrible point and now you are making stuff up about other posters because you can't admit you made an ass of yourself.

22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He put the ball in Ridley's hands with the game on the line. That one was absolutely on Tomlin.

I heard his explanation, that the Steelers were looking at it as four-down territory. I agree with him on that one, but the right decision would be to put the ball in Roethlisberger's hands twice. It was a terrible play call that put the ball in the hands of a guy who shouldn't even be on the field. In a spot like that, you get beat with your best, not a guy who would have been cut in September if not for Bell's holdout.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    The Steelers aren't the best team in the NFL, just because they have a good offense doesn't mean they're the best team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I wasn't aware Tomlin called the offensive plays :shrug:.

25. sjromano

Nov 3, 2011
    Precisely - a quick slant and we're here talking about how we knocked off the # 1 team in the NFL in their house.