1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Officicial Game Day Thread Pittburgh at New Orleans

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by zcoop, Dec 23, 2018.

1. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    The NFL wants a Chiefs and Saints Superbowl bank it!!!

2. Jares

Jares Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2016
    Of course they are. They created his reputation all on their own so they have to defend it.

3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That's crap. Look at the Steelers' history. Tomlin is still there because they are patient with coaches and his team was 13-3 a year ago. The Rooney Rule has nothing to do with it.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I saw that, too, but it's silly to say that is why he fumbled. The guy caught the ball and looked fine moving with it until he was tackled. The mistake was not just getting to the ground with two defenders about to hit him.

5. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The officiating was a big part of the loss to the Chargers, too. That said, missing the playoffs is definitely on the coaches and players. They had the talent to win two or three more games this season, at least, and they could have been very dangerous in the playoffs.

I am frustrated by the piss-poor officiating today, but I am far angrier about the mistakes by the coaches and players that cost the Steelers the game. Smith-Schuster has to protect that ball. The defense can't have a huge coverage breakdown on third-and-20. The fake punt was bad and giving Ridley the ball on third-and-two was worthy of firing bad.

Seriously, that decision and holding Roethlisberger out most of the second half in Oakland are among the worst coaching decisions of Tomlin's career.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. jimmyallen45

jimmyallen45 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    they could easily won all 4 of these losses- basically on the turn of one play per game. It's a game of inches.

I'm wiped out by this season. I'll watch next week- simply because I have not missed a Steelers game this century- but this season really ripped my guts out.

In an aside, the Steelers have, with one game to go, set a new franchise record for yardage from the TE position.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Jares

Jares Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2016
    With all due respect, you have blinders on if you think it has nothing to do with it. Yes, last year we went 13-3, but that could have easily been 9-7. We were never as good as 13-3 last year, but we overcame poor performances against bad teams. This year is no different except we are losing the games we won last year. Since Tomlin took over, we've struggled against bad teams every year. We field undisciplined and unprepared teams every year. I know someone will bring up the 2 Super Bowls, but the last one we went to was all luck. We started horrible against Baltimore and needed them to collapse to win. The next game we almost blew a huge lead to the Jets because we quit playing at the half. With a competent coach, we would have had a New England like run. I've seen nothing to suggest that things are going to change. After 12 years, why would they?

Only someone who doesn't want to see it would say that the Rooneys are not being influenced, as it applies to Tomlin, with all the favorable press coverage of the Rooney Rule and their consistency and the inevitable backlash that they'd get if Tomlin were fired. The media might complain about the calls Tomlin makes, but they go out of their way to defend his keeping his job and they mock anyone who disagrees.

Also, to say that there is no one anywhere who could do a better job than Tomlin is just blind arrogance or blind allegiance. I'm sure that there are some who would do worse too, but Tomlin is not great. He's just not.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    You aren't very smart :facepalm:, the Rooney rule just gets you a interview, it doesn't give you lifetime security :shrug:.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Jares

Jares Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2016
    I don't know if insulting my intelligence is the best way to make your point. I know what the Rooney rule gets you. For any other team, the rule wouldn't give you lifetime security, but we aren't another team. If you think that the Rooneys are not thinking about the rule named for them, and the optics of firing a minority head coach given said rule, you'd be mistaken in my opinion. I firmly believe that on any other team, Tomlin would be on a much warmer hotseat.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    You are so far off base. I am not even sure where to start. So I will start here. Mike Tomlin was not hired because of the Rooney Rule, nor does he retain his job because of the Rooney Rule. He was hired because he was a hot coordinator coming off a successful run in Minnesota. Have you ever heard Mike Tomlin speak? Imagine how well an interview with Tomlin would have went. He got the job because he sold himself well during the interview process. He has kept the job because he has always kept the Steelers competitive. He didn't get fired after last season because he was the Head Coach of a team who went 13-3. Not many 13-3 coaches get canned.

Damn you for making me defend Coach T on a night where I also want the guy fired. This Rooney Rule nonsense needs to stop though. IMO, Tomlin's time has passed in Pittsburgh, and it is time for a new coach to see where he can take this team. But to completely discredit a guy who took us to two Super Bowls is pretty weak.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Then why has the Steelers won 3 of the last 4 against the Ravens?:shrug:

12. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

Maybe, maybe not i don't know the anser and im prty sure u dont either...

13. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Tomlin has been the HC for 12 years, so if the Rooney's want to fire him, there shouldn't be a backlash.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Beltzhoover Kid

Beltzhoover Kid Active Member

Dec 23, 2018
    Was so sure about winning this game. Did not factor in the fake punt or a fumble on final drive. That said Baker Mayfield and Chubb are the real deal and the Brown’s D is legit.

• Like Like x 1
  15. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I gave you your first like because your avatar is fantastic!

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

I agree there should not be any backlash, but i would be surprised if there wasnt

17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Sorry, but now you want to ding a coach because his team won too many close games in 2017. With all due disrespect, you lost any credibility in your post right there. You made a dumb point. Accept it and move on.

18. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Yup making the playoffs would just be more torture lol

19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    There wouldn't be a backlash, at least not a credible one. There is plenty of support for the decision to get rid of Tomlin in Pittsburgh, as anybody who reads this board can attest. The argument that the Steelers won't fire Tomlin due to the Rooney Rule is absurd.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Then throw the ball, in the third quarter they didn't run the ball at all, they should've done the same thing in the 4th quarter.

21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I know enough to realize that it is ridiculous to say he is sticking around due to the Rooney Rule.

22. Jares

Jares Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2016
    You misunderstand what I am trying to say. I am trying to say that Tomlin is keeping his job because of the optics of the owners who created the Rooney Rule firing a minority head coach. I think that factors into the Ronneys' attitudes on this. I am sure that regular season record also is a factor. As far as last season goes, that 13-3 was a mirage. Four games were decided on the final play of the game and could easily have been losses as we're seeing this year. Last year and this year are no different except last year we bailed ourselves out of playing down to the bad teams where this year it isn't happening.

23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Exactly. I don't understand the decision to go with a power formation and run on third-and-two regardless of who is in the backfield. That they had to turn to Ridley just makes it even worse.

Roethlisberger started slow, but he was tearing the Saints apart from the middle of the second quarter until that point. You put the ball in his hands on that third down. To do anything else was stupid and it ended up being one of the mistakes that cost the Steelers the game and probably their season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    If this was early in Tomlin's career, maybe you would have a point. As it is, you are right there with the foolish fans who think Tomlin only got the job because he is black. Tomlin proved he was the right hire long ago. Your post fails to give him and the Rooneys the proper credit. That is just part of why your point is absurd.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Jares

Jares Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2016
    This is getting very frustrating. No, I don't want to ding a coach because he won too many games. I never said that, or implied it, or hinted at it. What I said was that we played down to bad teams last year but found a way to win and this year we are finding a way to lose. Overall playing is no different between last year and this year. We were equally inconsistent both years. We struggled against bad teams both years. So do I want to fire a coach for playing down to bad teams for most of his career? Yes, yes I do.