1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Which school is Quarterback U?

Discussion in 'College Football Talk' started by saturdaysarebetter, Dec 13, 2018.

1. saturdaysarebetter

saturdaysarebetter Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2018
  2. Steelerssix

Steelerssix Active Member

Aug 12, 2017
    Sure looks that way. I have been a Crimson Tide fan over 40 years and so focused on Tua that for me this kid from OK came out of nowhere. My initial reaction when I saw that the Tide has OK in playoffs I was thrilled considering the much maligned OK defense. All of a sudden I am thinking this could be another good test for the Tide defense. Might need to put a bunch of points up early and hopefully Tua is healthy, but makes better decisions on when to get rid of the ball. I do hope it is a good game like the Georgia game. After all how many times do you find yourself watching a Bama game until the last second?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. saturdaysarebetter

Jul 24, 2018
    That is very true, although if Kansas can score 40 points against Oklahoma, one has to think Alabama can as well and Alabama's defense will be, without question, the best defense Oklahoma has faced this season. Scoring points won't come as easy as it is against Big 12 defenses.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Tua needs a lot of work when he gets to the pro level, his accuracy will be his down fall.
    Tight windows and against Georgia he couldn't put it in tight windows. Bama by 14.
    Remember folks when you get to the pro level all players are good. Not just a handful.

5. Steelerssix

Aug 12, 2017
    I do agree with you on the Bama defense. What do you think about the other game? I would rather Bama have to face ND than Clemson. BTW like your saturdaysarebetter handle. I have always liked the college game more than NFL and besides lot more interesting games on all the networks all day and night and then it is only Saturday when it is over!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Steelerssix

Aug 12, 2017
    You are right about the caliber of players being the best of the best in the NFL. It is possible that we don't know how he will progress unless he is forced to stay in games past the first half consistently and against top tier opponents. I think we saw some of that this year and he had some trouble though it really is his first year. He will need to make better decisions and not always try to get 40 yds. or extend the play and make mistakes. Gee, sounds a bit like Big Ben! Trouble is Bama games are usually over in the first half.

7. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Maybe he had a bad game against Georgia, I don't know, but his accuracy was terrible. I don't think you
    can coach that. You either have it or don't.

8. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Miami Hurricane use to be the be the School. Not really sure now who is.
    I like the the guy from Oregon.

9. saturdaysarebetter

Jul 24, 2018
    I think Clemson has too much offense for Notre Dame to keep up. Both have good defenses but Clemson has weapons in Etienne and their wide receivers. Notre Dame's offense doesn't put fear into opponents, they just tend to wear opponents down.

10. Steelerssix

Aug 12, 2017
    Well eventually they catch up with you and find your weakness. Trouble is very few teams have the talent/depth that Bama has. But as has been said in college you may play 4-5 top tier opponents per season and the rest are gimmes. Hard to tell how good someone really is.

11. quark12000

quark12000 Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2015
    Shouldn't Quarterback U be the school whose quarterbacks had the most success at the pro level?

12. saturdaysarebetter

Jul 24, 2018
    So if a school had 10 Heisman Trophy winning quarterbacks but they didn't do much in the pros, they wouldn't be Quarterback U?

So does Terrelle Pryor count towards Ohio State being Wide Receiver U? He didn't even play wide receiver in college.

Does Antwan Randal-El count towards Indiana being Wide Receiver U? He didn't play wide receiver in college.

Does Derrick Ramsey count towards Kentucky being Tight End U? He played quarterback at Kentucky.

13. quark12000

quark12000 Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2015
    I don't know. That's why I asked. I thought the point of college football was to prepare kids to earn a living at playing football.

14. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    I think you missed my point, I was meaning that college teams might see a hand full of pro players
    on certain teams, not a handful of opponents.

15. saturdaysarebetter

Jul 24, 2018
    Then college football fails 99% of the time. How many college football players across all divisions of college football make it to the NFL every year?

16. Steelerssix

Aug 12, 2017
    I got your point and it is valid. I am saying that there are a few college teams who I would consider top talent, but they do not play each other consistently, therefore, statistics can be misleading. Going to the NFL means everybody is good though the team may suck and that separates the best from the pretenders. Just watching Tua struggle against Georgia shows he has work to do.