1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Losing to inferior opponents

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Da Stellars, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    What gives?

Does Ben just only decide to get up for the big games?

Maybe Tomlin have less attention to detail during weeks he thinks it should be an easy win?

We were a double digit favorite!

2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    opposing teams play up and we play down. Coaches get conservative/scared

3. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Ravens, Broncos, Browns (tie) and Raiders were inferior opponents. It's worse this year than in previous years. 4 games losing to inferior opponents as opposed to the usual 2.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    This is nothing new. I've made a ton of money over the years betting against the Steelers when they are heavy favourites. I always take the other team and the points and I've made a killing.

It all comes down to the coach. Despite them whooping our ass the first time, Tomlin showed the Jaguars zero respect when he was clearly preaching to the team about playing the Pats. Why in the hell he was talking about the Pats when we hadn't even played Jax yet is beyond me, other than he's a complete moron. There's simply no other explanation. He overlooks inferior teams and it shows

5. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Leaving Ben out because he thought they could win without him clearly shows that he doesn't respect the lesser opponents and he thinks with the talent they have they can just walk into the stadium and win and it trickles down the roster

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Tomlin has changed his statement. He's now saying he didn't put Ben out there because it takes a while for pain killers to kick in. That's funny because it completely contradicts what he said earlier and also contradicts what he said to Ben. Ben told him he could go in if he was needed and Tomlin said to him "lets see how this plays out." So Tomlin is clearly trying to do damage control because he realizes what a moron he is.

If only he spent more time reflecting on his decision making and less on catch phrases and damage control

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The Ravens aren't inferior. They are a comparable opponent. They are right with the Steelers and that includes an overtime loss to the Chiefs and losing by a missed extra point against the Saints.

The Chargers don't qualify as an inferior opponent on paper, but the Steelers sure made them look like one for a half before blowing that one, too.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    My 10U basketball team almost lost to an inferior squad a couple weeks ago. I told my wife we almost "pulled a Tomlin." She doesn't care about football much but knew exactly what I meant.

9. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    With Jackson at QB, the Ravens are better than the Steelers.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Remember the year they couldn’t play defense in the second half?
    This team has fallen apart the last 3 or so years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    2009. This year feels eerily similar in most aspects. Only difference is, the '09 team was a bigger disappointment since they won the Super Bowl the previous season and had a much stronger roster than the current one. The decline of the '18 Steelers in 2nd half of the season is not really a surprise.

12. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Have people forgotten that the same thing happened with Cowher? Not as often perhaps, but it still happened. Remember him telling the team to make their families SB reservations? Before the AFCCG against the Chargers?
    That being said, I think it's time for Tomlin to go......

13. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    On any given sunday any team can beat another, that's been proven. What's also been proven is we play down to the competition. With these two statements being true can we really be realistic in believing we're a Superbowl caliber Team????

Cajun

14. Xcursion88

Xcursion88 Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2018
    Pay attention...I'm not being malicious.
    Oakland has been playing better. I knew this wasn't a cake walk because of that. Add in Ben getting knocked out of the game, meaning we have to go to the backup on the road which is never a good recipe, a backup mind you who seemingly can only throw a screen pass and a bomb...missing the main RB in Connor...oh and a sprinkle or two of our **** secondary....i present to you a 24-21 losing effort.

• Like Like x 1
  15. 4124life

4124life Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Garbage teams have zero to lose and take chances.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Frost33

Frost33 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2014
    All coaches lose to inferior teams from time to time, it happens. The problem Tomlin is that it happens SO often that it's almost expected. I do think there is something to be said about teams playing up when they play the Steelers, but the Steelers very often come out uninspired and play flat football vs inferior teams.

17. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Well, if you account for all the raider penalties and how they really tried to give us this game we should have lost by 20!!!

Cajun

18. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    By the time ownership does something it will be time for Ben to retire. I hope the Rooney’s make a change at the end of the year and move of from Tomlin

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Don't forget the stupidity of sitting Roethlisberger when he was able to return. I don't want to hear the crap about the X-rays or whatever other foolishness Tomlin used to muddy the waters today. Roethlisberger was cleared to return. Tomlin decided to risk trying to hold on without him and it predictably failed.

20. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Reminds of when he started Jones against the Browns a few years ago, and had Ben as the backup. Ben comes in and throws for around 375 yards. Clearly Ben was ready then too, and Tomlin arrogantly started Jones because he figured we could win without Ben.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yup, I'm in a money pool pickem and the only time I pick against the Steelers is when they are heavy favorites.

It's amazing how they can continue to loose to these teams and yet still have the arrogance to think they can coast.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Xcursion88

Xcursion88 Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2018
    But what about the go ahead score. The last four minutes totally mismanaged...again.

Tomlin manages the game clock with a god damn sun dial.

He would get his ass kicked at all levels of football. He's not a quick thinking individual.

That's fact

23. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    For some strange reason every time you post, I forget what I was going to say. I vote that TTF award you a sticky thread at the top where only you are allowed to post. I'll bet we could take up a collection around here and even pay you to post more often. You're welcome. ;)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1