1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

TIME TO CLEAN HOUSE.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Wardismvp, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Not only with coaching staff, save Munchak if it can be done.
    But players have to be purged also. Lets look at all facets of the organization
    from scouting department ,strength coach, advanced scouts. Lets find people that have
    a passion for the game and can teach it. And want to win BIG. Alot of people don't like Nick Saban, but you know what. He covers all the bases and wants to win BIG. Now I know we
    are not going to get Nick, but we need to find someone like him.

2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    No to Saban. A huge part of why he wins big is that he out-recruits everyone else. His stint in the NFL was a disaster, and he quickly realized that he’s a college guy.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 4
  3. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Agree with this thread title. Let a coach come in with their own staff, no one gets retained. Fresh start, fresh voices. And take the popcorn machine with you out the door...

4. bnasty23

bnasty23 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2012
    How many great college coaches came into the NFL and won SB. I and waiting. Before you say Switzer he was fired the next year

5. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    After hearing Tomlin's moronic answer to why he didn't call a time out it just makes me even more sick.. Saying he likes to hold a time out for the offense and didn't know if juju would get outta bounce. What in the f*** is he talking about

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Why do we have to purge our roster? Our defense has gotten younger and better. Our offensive line is one of the best in the league. We have a top WR and one of the best young WR’s in the game. A quality young RB....

The coaching staff needs to be let go though. Munchak is the only one that can stay imo. Maybe butler since his unit has gotten better (although the SD game is some egg on his face).

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    draft:

RB
    CB
    S
    ILB
    DT
    DE
    OLB

DC, HC, STC.

in no certain order. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Why we have to purge our roster:

Sean Davis cannot make a defensive passing play. Look what he did with Hayden against the Chargers in the endzone while running into him. He will have very little interceptions because he plays with his head down at contact or when making a play. What has he done all year. ! He usually is not in the picture tube. He is also not a ball hawk, something we need.

Dupree got a sack yesterday he did beat a rookie off the street, he jumped on Carr for a sack but he should of got a strip sack as Carr was carrying the ball out loose. This is something Harrison was great at and Dupree will never be. He also has a hard time getting off blocks.

Burnett is too slow and often injured. He is also not a ball hawk, something we need.

Williams and Bostic our middle LB's can't cover yet we continue to try it. But that's on coaching. But Williams has a hard time getting off blocks.

Sensabaugh is not a starter and should be a back up. He is also not a ball hawk, something we need.

Artie Burns in not good at anything.

This is only for starting the players purge. As far as coaching I would only keep Munchak and start with new all the way around. As far as GM, Colbert is getting close, mainly because he can't draft good defensive backs.

9. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    stop drafting defensive backs in the first round lol.

1. LB
    2. RB
    3. WR

10. 4124life

4124life Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2018
    They showed how capable they are against Carolina which makes losing like this to a damn 2-10 completely unacceptable No reason whatsoever they should have had that drastic of a drop since. Undisciplined and no seriousness at all. Changes need to be made ASAP.

This organization needs to stop clinging on to coaches past success and get with the times.

11. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Switzer quit. He wasn't fired.

12. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Pete carrol got fired during his first nfl stint. Sometimes it takes two times.

13. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Honestly, I would go into this offseason with the mindset that no starters spot is safe.

If we land Aaron Donald somehow in a trade ... sorry Cam Heyward, your are sitting.

14. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Rams wouldnt trade Aaron Donald for our entire team.

15. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I agree but I think what we have at RB is good enough that we can go after a real safety instead. I also know I'm in the minority but I don't think Edmunds is going to pan out, he is loaded with athleticism and potential but he doesn't have the natural instincts or ability at the NFL level.

I don't want to bash the guy as he is only a rookie and it isn't his fault he was taken way to early in the draft. After the Steelers drafted him I started looking at what his game was like on tape and I still don't know what the scouting department saw. His play was what I would expect out of a starting S/LB at the college level, nothing that really stood out like you would expect from a player you take in the 1st round.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    We could sweeten the pot by taking players out...

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I had a different idea when the word “purge” was thrown around. I was thinking it meant “rebuild” or make mass changes. I’m not advocating staying pat and not making any roster improvements, but I don’t think we need to blow it up. I think CB2 and ILB are the most immediate upgradeable positions (whether it’s in the draft of FA). However, I think I would keep Dupree as he won’t be expensive and has actually been real solid this year.

Coaching is whatever. I’d be fine purging all but Munchak, but I do think Butler at least deserves a second look before cutting ties since this defense is ranked top 10 against both the pass and run. Tomlin can go tomorrow AFAIC

18. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Agree about making some defensive player changes not all but at the least the secondary and MLB. As far as coaches Butler to me should be the first to go along with Tomlin, and Porter. Don't care where we rank, we cannot stop anybody and have seen enough of Butler to say that there are better high school and college defensive coaches then him.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Mike Tomstradamus

20. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I ready the topic and immediately started to vacuum.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    But...but... It's tradition!

• Like Like x 1
  23. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Coincidentally enough, remove the Wide Receiver, flip the Running Back Spot to three and put a offensive guard in there and it is not that difficult to see next year's draft playing out that way.

Keep in mind I am under the assumption Pittsburgh spent a good deal if money acquiring a top tier cornerback in Free Agency.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Much like Tim Lewis to Dick LeBeau, watch out when the Steelers acquire a competent Defensive Coordinator from outside the organization. Someone who has a far greater grasp of running a defense. Most of all, someone who can put his players in winnable situations; increasing the team's chances of winning. That change alone will unlock more of the potential of the talent on defense.

Get rid of Keith Butler. Porter can follow suit. Either drastically change the scheme via Kris Richard or nab Todd Bowles and modify the current structure all together to maximize the talent available. Acquire a cornerback in either free agency or the draft; inside linebacker the same assuming that position is still the main focus of the philosophy.

• Agree Agree x 3
  25. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1