1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Fire Tomlin ?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by djac111, Dec 10, 2018.

1. djac111

djac111 Active Member

Mar 28, 2018
    I read the post from fellow fans and I'm trying to understand. I live in Jacksonville Fl . The fans here understand losing for the last 10 out of 11 years. We are still in first in our division and fans want to clean house and fire the coach. "Throw out MT regular season record" WHAT ??? .. Then complain about a regular season loss..I KEEP READING- "Call a timeout " why and ice your own kicker ? So after the miss FG the complaint would be why did he call a TO. Lets say Ben was knocked out for the season.. "Why did he leave Ben in game" to beat a 2 win Raider team when we have NE and NO coming up would have been the complaint.. "Kicker should've been fired weeks ago" . Wow a coach showing loyalty and faith in a player after years of being one of the best. And then "WE win with the talent we have" MT is holding this team back . I watched the Cowboys get Cooper. Rams trade for Fowler. Pats get Gordon etc etc .. What FA has the front office traded for or signed to help ??? DB anyone ... We lost the BEST RB in the league ! Take Elliot or Gurley from those teams and lets see if they are still in first place as we are.. Fans here in Duval and many other cities would welcome MT if they get the same results we have had. I now join the fire MT group so he can move on to a fan base that appreciates being a contender every season and a front office built for today's football.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Yawn. Already enough Tomlin threads

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

yeah let's talk lev bell.......

• Hilarious Hilarious x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    U want Tomlin take him.. I'll even buy his plane ticket

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I will trade you Tomlin straight up for Jalen Ramsey.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Frustration FRUSTRATION we want to fire everybody. In Tomlin's defense losing Shazier hurt our D big time, losing idiot running back hurt our offense big time and Ben is not the Ben of old. A Head Coach has no control over that.

Tomlin has a lot of talent but can't do diddly with it in the playoffs. I usually live by the creed that a Head Coach is as good as the players he has. I use an old Pirate Coach as an example. Jim Leyland was great when we had the players but was not so great when we cleaned house back in the early 90's.

7. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    No not everybody just Tomlin!!!!! Shazier and Bell are big losses but come on we just lost 3 games we shouldn't have. Shazier and Bell weren't talked about when we were winning 5 in a row. I am sorry Tomlin has tons of blame here

• Agree Agree x 5
  8. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That example was a ridiculous extreme from another sport. The Pirates were gutted by the end of free agency after the 1992 season. They had been selling off key components all along, then they lost the best player in the National League and one of the top pitchers in the game for nothing.

The Steelers have the talent to at least win the AFC North. Tomlin can't seem to get his team to focus or play with discipline. His decision to give away four drives by sitting Roethlisberger was inexcusable and it cost his team the game and most likely a playoff berth. That is the final straw and it should cost him his job, but this is the Steelers, so it won't.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    The TO lunacy was just as egregious IMO

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I think, it's more of our team, has become all of those teams that we used to laugh at. We've lost ownership, a great coach with sound coordinators, great leadership in players on both sides of ball. We have been deceived from the moment that MT was hired. Forget about clock management...this guy get out coached consistently.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Please please please...Take him...Take him!

12. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    How does a coach like Tomlin "get out coached consistently" and help the Steelers win as many games as they did since he became HC? I understand people get disappointed by the losses but what you suggest shows a lack of common sense.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    and for incentive we can offer a bologna sandwich

14. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    With Ketchup? Heinz, Of course!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  15. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah but he never had a losing record. Nevermind we have 3 playoff wins in the last 8 years and 1 was a gift(Cincy.

16. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
  17. rutan74

rutan74 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011

OK, I'll bite.

We are still in first in our division and fans want to clean house and fire the coach. "Throw out MT regular season record" WHAT ??? .. Then complain about a regular season loss.

Yes. First, barely and soon to be out of first. It was just not "a" loss. This loss was to the worse team in the league that was playing something like 10 rookies and some guys they just picked up off the street. Secondly, this loss continues a pattern. A pattern that has been present for a number of years where we continually lose to the dregs of the league. So, it is just not a singular event but a culmination of losing to horrible teams.

I KEEP READING- "Call a timeout " why and ice your own kicker ?

Count me as one of those. I don't see it as icing my kicker. I see it as getting assignments identified and pooling everyone so that they are on the same page. Make sure the blocking assignments are identified. This was not Boz's first clutch kick with time running out. So, with only 5 seconds left and everyone running around trying to get into formation, call a timeout. No need to save it.

Lets say Ben was knocked out for the season.. "Why did he leave Ben in game" to beat a 2 win Raider team when we have NE and NO coming up would have been the complaint.. "Kicker should've been fired weeks ago" . Wow a coach showing loyalty and faith in a player after years of being one of the best.

Your point may have made sense if the Steelers had the lead, but they did not. We needed the win yesterday. Straw man to say Ben might get knocked out. He could get knocked out on any play. He is paid to play not stand on the sidelines wearing a baseball cap unless it is preseason. One upping your argument, maybe Ben plays in the 3rd and he drives us to score a couple of TD's and puts the game out of reach? See, it is easy to play what if's. The fact remains that Ben was healthy enough to play and should have been in there. Also, I am not in the camp of firing the kicker. Kickers go hot and cold. He has the ability and he is going thru a rough season. Kicking is not as easy as it looks and they only get a few opportunities in the game whereas a QB can throw 40 passes to get into a flow. Kickers get one or two shots a game. So, their margin of error is very small. He was All Pro last year so I can give him a pass right now. If it continues next year, then I might think about letting him go. Lastly, it was not like he missed the kick. He slipped. I am going to blame him somewhat because he should have had better spikes on but it was a slip not a wide right or a bonk.

Fans here in Duval and many other cities would welcome MT if they get the same results we have had. I now join the fire MT group so he can move on to a fan base that appreciates being a contender every season and a front office built for today's football

So you think the fans in New England would welcome MT and be happy if they just have a winning season or make the playoffs? Sure, places that have had many losing seasons don't get it. We have 6 SB's. The standard according to MT is the standard. Right now and for the past years, we have not lived up to the standard.

No one is irreplaceable. At some point it WILL be time to part ways. That is just the way it is. He has had great talent over the years and frankly underachieved in my opinion. Not just one year, but year after year. Along with that, it is the WAY we are losing not the fact that we are losing. We are constantly unprepared, play poorly against weak teams and fail to either draft competent replacements or sign any FA's worth a plugged nickle.

So, there you have it. He is the boss and sadly, crap rolls down hill. He is responsible and he is NOT getting the job done. If I want to root for a .500 team, there are plenty available.

rutan

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  18. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Winning superbowls is the expectation in Pittsburgh. This isn't Jackassville. Consistent mediocrity and continuing to lose to terrible teams doesn't fly around here.

• Agree Agree x 6
  19. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    What? No participation trophies?

• Like Like x 1
  20. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They need to combine all these Tomlin threads :shrug:

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Winning superbowls is kinda like seeing boobs. Once you've seen one pair, you want to see them rest of them.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  22. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

My sentiments exactly :shrug:

• Like Like x 2
  23. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Colin's bit of snark ignores the fact that Cowher did win with those guys in 2005, the season before his last in Pittsburgh. The 2006 team was ruined by Roethlisberger's awful offseason. That was the year of the motorcycle accident and an appendectomy right before the start of the season. Roethlisberger was absolutely horrid the first eight games or so and by the time he got his act together, it was too late.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    Is it possible for a Steeler head coach to get fired?? Tomlin's job is always safe...

25. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Cowher had a franchise QB in Roethlisberger for what, 3 years? Compare that to Slash, Maddox, Kent Graham, o’Donnel, etc. most of the time.

• Agree Agree x 1