1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

"The Steeler way" might be part of the problem

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by shaner82, Dec 10, 2018.

1. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I hope the Rooney's realize that there's more than one way to skin a cat. If you make a good investment, then holding long term is the answer. If you make a bad investment, the longer you hold, the worse it gets. The key is to cut your losses and move on. The only issue of course is figuring out which is a good investment and which is a bad one.

So while hiring only 3 coaches over the course of several decades can be a good thing if you get the right guys, it can also be a bad thing if you don't get the right guys, and you hang on to them because that's what you've always done.

Stability isn't the answer if the thing you're trying to stabilize is a mediocre team.

I also strongly agree with developing and retaining our own guys via the draft. There's nothing wrong with that strategy, but there's also nothing wrong with making a splash every now and then when you have a weakness. Look at Jax and Atlanta. Two teams that were very close but it appears their windows are shut. When you have a crack at the SB, you have to be aggressive in trying to win them, because windows can close very quickly. When there's cap space available, why not try to make a splash in free agency or make a big trade? It sure works out for NE most years and it's paying off huge in Chicago right now. You can make a trade or sign a guy without giving up the farm, and with the way we draft defensive players, perhaps we should consider trading our picks away for proven players.

I sure hope the "Steeler way" doesn't end up being the thing that holds us back. It may very well be the mentality that keeps us in the fight most years, but it may also be the mentality that prevents us from reaching the top. I guess time will tell, but our results ever since our last SB have left a lot to be desired, and that's with a team full of talent.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Essentially, you are stating that the Rooney's have fallen into a real world phenomenon known as the "Sunk Cost Fallacy" correct? That fallacy does line up within professional sports, all walks of life no less.

If so, agree with you on that; Butler especially. After this season is over, terminate him. I am DONE with him. The only aspect that can cover him are his linebackers.

3. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Incorrect; these linebackers can’t cover anyone.

4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

That was satire; hence the allusion.

• Agree Agree x 1