1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Last Time a Steelers Head Coach Was Fired..

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers89, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Steelers89

Steelers89 Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Anybody know? Is it possible this organization prioritizes stability over making a tough decision?

2. Junebug

Junebug Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2018
    Maybe January 2019?? :)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    1968 Bill Austin 50 years ago

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Hardini68

Hardini68 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2018
    He will have to have at least 2 losing seasons before that is even considered. I think we need a couple of coordinators that are not simply yes men to Tomlin.

5. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    December 9th 2018 7:22 pm right after a complete blow out losing to the Raiders 42-21............................

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    The Steelers fired Bill Austin at the end of the 1968 seasons, and then hired Chuck Noll. The Steelers went 2-11-1 in '68. It was Austins 3rd straight losing yr, he never won more than 5 games in a season.

If Tomlin does that, he'll probably get fired too. But he hasn't come close to doing that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. TheMatrixHasYou

TheMatrixHasYou Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2018
    Cowher was pushed out. He didn't go happily.

One of the reasons Tomlin was hired was because he wasn't going to make major changes. He was willing to keep the 3-4 defensive front and keep Labeau as DC.

Most other teams hire and fire head coaches every 2 or 3 years and that is one major reason why they are up and down constantly. We're don't do that and we're not going to start doing that.

The NFL is designed to be competitive. The Eagles moved up from 13 to 2 to pick Carson Wentz in the '16 draft. Then, in '17, he and Nick Foles led them to the super bowl that Foles was able to win. Now the Eagles are not doing well at all. That's the NFL. It's supposed to be exciting. No one knows whats going to happen. It's not about you getting your way.

The Rooney's value consistancy and the Steelers are consistantly one of the best teams in the NFL. We're not going to tear apart the team and go into total rebuild mode just because that's what you would do.

Tomlin is staying. You don't have to like it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    What? Cowher was pushed out?
    I ain’t buying that.
    Now I know if was reported that Noll was asked to retire.

9. TheMatrixHasYou

Mar 6, 2018
    At Cowher's retirement press conference, when he was finished talking to the reporters he turned to Colbert and said "It didn't have to end like this."

The rumor was this, after Cowher won the super bowl he moved his family down to North Carolina while he still lived in Pittsburgh for most of the year. Well, Bill was hitting the town and going to bars trying to go home with women and word of it got back to the Rooney's. The Rooney's are catholics, they don't go for that mess. So, after the team under performed they asked him to retire. That's the rumor anyway.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Firing an ineffective coach is different than "tearing apart the team and going into total rebuild mode".

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Tomlin is closer to being elite than Ben is.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  12. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Of course it is, but Tomlin is not an ineffective coach so I am not sure why that is relevant.

13. TheMatrixHasYou

Mar 6, 2018
    What guy is going to come in as a head coach and not want to make changes?

Look at what Gruden is doing to Oakland. Look at what McDaniels did to Denver back ten years or so ago when he came in and caused the QB (Plummer?) to retire. Look at what that guy did to the Eagles back five or six years ago when he came up with that quick offense BS that didn't work. These guys come in and want to have total control over the teams and sometimes they completely destroy teams.

You guys are way too spoiled. I'm fine with being the 4th seed in the playoffs, or even having the last wild card spot. It's much better than watching a 2-14 season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    I can't stand Tomlin but having this stability could be worse we could have the Bengals stability lol

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Tomlin will likely make the playoffs again this yr, that will make 5 yrs in a row. Other than Bellichek has anyone else in the league done that?

Sorry folks, a franchise that hasn't fired a coach in 50yrs, ain't gonna start now by firing a guy who perennially gets his team to the post season.

Edit: Only 2 teams have been in the playoffs each of the last 4 yrs - NE and Pitt. And both look likely to make it 5.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  16. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Or maybe Bill wanted to spend as much of time with his family as he could seeing how behind the scenes his wife was battling skin cancer. I can assure you that whomever shared that rumor with you is misinformed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    What a load of crap.

• Agree Agree x 6
  18. TheMatrixHasYou

Mar 6, 2018
    Bill bought the home in North Carolina and moved his family down there in 2006.

Kaye was diagnosed with cancer in February of 2010 and died 5 months later in July.

19. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I'll have whatever you are having. Wahooooo.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    What makes you so sure we are in the playoffs? I am just hoping we win against a horrible Raiders team with two losses the next two weeks. I hope we are but it looks more like we won't at this point then will. Lets see what happens Sunday before any more playoff talk.

• Agree Agree x 3
  21. MattyMo9

MattyMo9 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    Hopefully 2019. Realistically 2020

22. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I wrote that they "are likely to make the playoffs" and they are likely to make them. Someone has to win the AFCN, and IMHO the Balt Ravens are a 8 win team. Several websites estimate playoff chances for teams, not by opinion but by looking at all the possible combinations of how every teams remaining games play out. The Steelers chances are estimated to be 60 to 80% by these guys. I did a quick study, there are 256 different ways for the Steelers and Ravens remaining games to play out. In 65% of these combinations the Steelers win the division. Balt remaining schedule is not really any easier than Pittsburgh. People act like the Steelers need to win out and get help to make the playoffs, the reality is 2-2 the rest of the way will probably do it.

Now, a 65% chance isn't a sure thing, but it is likely. If I offer you a revolver with 4 of 6 chambers loaded, you'd probably think your odds of losing Russian Roulette were pretty likely.

23. MattyMo9

MattyMo9 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    But did these odds factor in that the head coach is Mike Tomlin? Because if it did those odds have to drop 50%

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

As noted before only two coaches have been to the playoffs each of the last 4 yrs. Genius Bill Bellichek and Mike Tomlin. So, no the odds don't consider the fact the Tomlin makes the playoffs with metronomic regularity. If they did, the odds might go to 90%.

25. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Not to mention the fact that they held onto Ben after his issues.

• Like Like x 1