1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers are throwing way too much!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Hardini68, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Hardini68

Hardini68 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2018
    We need to at least pretend we can run and not give up so early. If our line is as great as the pundits say then we should be way better then we are, which at 93 yds a game wil not win us anything. It might be to late to do that however the smash mouth mentality has left Pittsburgh along with our identity as being tough. Just wondering what happened.

2. TheMatrixHasYou

TheMatrixHasYou Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2018
    Why don't you look up and post our pass to run ratio? I would bet every team in the NFL passes more than they run.

You have to mix in passes with running plays and running plays eat up the clock so when you are behind you have to throw it. You don't win games by having more run yards than the other team. You have to score more points.

Our OL is very good. They are one of the best in the NFL but that doesn't mean they dominate every DL. They had problems against Jacksonville and Baltimore.

The smash mouth mentality hasn't gone anywhere. All teams in the NFL are very competitive.

We have Brown and Juju playing well so why not throw it? If Ben keeps the interceptions down we can beat anyone.

3. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    After Week 13:

League average:
    35 pass attempts per game
    26 rushes per game

PIT:
    44 pass attempts per game (leads league)
    22 rushes per game (6th-lowest)

• Like Like x 2
  4. TheMatrixHasYou

Mar 6, 2018

So we're talking about 4 more rushes per game to be average.

I think you have to go with whatever the game directs. If the defense has 8 to 10 guys in the box then that's tough to run against. If you're behind by two scores, you can't run the ball, you have to pass.

5. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Ben prob thinks we run it too much

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. MattyMo9

MattyMo9 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    Ben can throw it 60 times a week now that Conner is done!

7. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Derrick Henry just gouged The Jags...We couldn't/ Didn't run angainst them

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    This is pretty much what I figured would happen when Haley was fired and Fichtner was brought in. Ben loves to air it out. He has that gun slinger mentality and has zero interest in being reigned in, even if it is for the best. Like he said recently, on 1st and goal, he wanted to throw it 4 times in a row. It's ridiculous.

I have zero faith that we can win the SB this year with our QB having that kind of mentality and no coach in place to reign him in

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Our line is fantastic at pass protection and struggles vs big D lines in the run game. Has been like this since forever

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Ben is throwing 55-60 times a game already. And this weeks starting RB (Jaylen Samuels) had as many pass receptions as carries in his senior yr at NC St.

If you think they throw too much now, don't expect it to change now.

11. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I don't even care that Ben throws too much, as long as it's in context. If we're playing a run-stopping D, then fine, pass away. Throw it 70 times, I don't care. But when there are defenses that are suspect against the run, and we unleash a heavy passing attack - we are just defeating ourselves.

As a graphical representation, here are the possessions of the Steelers against the Broncos (minus punts, FG's), who are in the bottom 3rd of the league against the run. And keep in mind that this game was tied until the last play of the game, so the "we were behind" argument doesn't fit the gameplan:

PASS PASS PASS PASS PASS PASS PASS PASS PASS
    RUN RUN PASS PASS PASS RUN PASS RUN PASS RUN RUN
    RUN
    PASS PASS PASS PASS PASS PASS
    PASS PASS PASS RUN PASS PASS PASS PASS PASS PASS
    PASS RUN PASS PASS
    PASS
    RUN RUN RUN RUN PASS PASS
    PASS PASS PASS PASS
    RUN PASS PASS
    PASS PASS PASS PASS PASS
    PASS PASS PASS PASS PASS PASS RUN PASS RUN PASS

That's 16 rushes to 58 PA's. Against the # 23 D against the run.

I've said it before and it bears repeating - if anyone believes that we're going into Oakland Sunday and leaning on the running game, you are deluded.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    We have one of the best offensive lines and we don’t use it to maul teams in the run game... it’s so unfathomable!?

And without the run game there is no playaction. One way to limit Ben’s int’s would be more playaction... it help guys get more wide open and makes Ben more decisive with the ball.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Hey, I totally agree with you.

I'm just using recent history of this team's shortcomings in game planning to predict what I believe will be a similar showing on Sunday.

I sincerely hope they prove me (and most of us) wrong, and plan against Oakland's weakness. (31st against the Run - hear that, Fichtner?)

14. TheMatrixHasYou

Mar 6, 2018

How many men were in the box on those pass plays? You can have the worst run defense in the NFL and load the box with 8 to 10 guys and you will absolutely stop the run.

Just because Ben makes some bad decisions some times doesn't mean you take the ball out of his hands and a few more runs doesn't necessarily mean we win the game.

15. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Well, no. You have to take into account the average number of snaps per game.

Steelers throw 67% of their offensive plays. That’s the highest percentage (least balanced) in the NFL this season. They’re quite a ways from average.

16. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    When Fichtner was appointed OC, I knew what Ben would do. And it has materialized this way.

Must find a run/pass ratio that Ben averages about 38 passes and below. If not we see what happens.

He throws to the other team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Again, Ben is at his best when he has a solid run game. And don't give me the offensive line can't run block. It's obvious that Ben has a major influence on the run/pass plays. And no one is saying take the ball out of Bens hands, just that he is a better QB with a balanced run/pass effort. He is becoming a pick machine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    That ranking was very misleading. The Broncos had 2 crap-their-pants games where they were run over. They also had 7 games where they shut down the oppposing running game.

I agree the Steelers should have run more. The Steelers were averaging 4.5 yards/carry, which is good enough to keep with it. I am just pointing out that the Broncos run D was very bad weeks 4-6, but pretty good all other weeks.

19. nor

nor Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2016
    It's hard for me to criticize the Steeler play selection sometimes when we get such good results like the below pictures. Here's the TD score by Antonio Brown. Here, the Carolina safety bit on the Button Hook route run by the outside WR instead of staying deep in case #84 runs deep. Good for Ben recognizing the opportunity. Good for AB for creating separation (!!!!!) and good for the outside WR for selling the shorter pattern to the safety who misplayed it.
    IMG_4229.JPG IMG_4230.JPG IMG_4232.JPG

20. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

Yes exactly people fail to realize this. Great point.

• Like Like x 1