1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Shazier Jogging

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    • Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Heard this on Bens show yesterday
    It’s friggin AWESOME!

3. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    I didn't think there was ever a chance he'd get to this point. That's great to hear. I can't imagine how hard he's worked to get to this point. He is one determined man. I hope he get back all of what he lost. And that he doesn't step foot back on the field as a player.

• Agree Agree x 9
  4. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Why not? Once he's healed and medically cleared, he wouldn't be at a higher risk of injury than any other player. That assumes he could ever regain enough strength and coordination to play football at the pro level. It also assumes he would ever receive medical clearance. I don't know the answer to either, but if he can play and he's cleared, I'm all for it.

5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    #Shalieve!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Can he punt or kick FGs?
    There’s no green font and I’m serious.
    Not for this year, the future.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Doctors can clear him on the physical aspects of his recovery, but what about the mental? Players come back tentative from torn up knees. Imagine what it would be like to come back from paralysis, even though it was temporary. Hesitant players can be at risk.

Also, what is the standard for clearing him? Is it that the risk of further spinal injury is considered to be at an acceptable level? Or is it that there is no more risk now than there was before the injury. I'm betting it is the former, not the latter.

Finally, I worry about the way he plays if he does manage to return to his old form. It was shocking, yet not surprising, to see how he was hurt. That was far from the first time he hit a guy that way. Shazier had a habit of lowering his head when he hit people. If the structural integrity of his spine is diminished even a little, especially when you consider how he played, that brings a frightening level of risk of another catastrophic injury.

Of course, I would respect any choice he makes, as we all should. I just want the guy to be able to walk and live a full life. I'm not sure I'd ever be able to watch him again without being afraid that the next might lead to a tragedy.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    I'm happy to see him progressing. I think the Steelers did a real first class thing by converting his salary into a guaranteed signing bonus for the year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

Let's say he is never able to play football again..Do the Steelers offer him a position on the team. (ast coach) or somthing like tjhat or do they cut him loose??

10. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

Good for Ryan and I wish him the best.

But he will have a rod and screws in his spine for the rest of his life, and I can't imagine any doctor who doesn't want to risk losing his lifetime earnings in a malpractice would ever clear him to play..

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    If Porter is a Coach, well enough said.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. M. Connors

M. Connors Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Needed some good Steelers news after the past two games and this is it.

Hard to believe that about a year ago he was in a hospital bed unable to move his legs, preparing for spinal stabilization surgery and the great unknown of what lied ahead regarding his quality of life, all at the age of 25.

From walking with assistance, to walking with a crutch, to walking unencumbered, now jogging. It is truly inspirational. I wish him the very best and hope that he remains with the organization in some capacity for years to come.

• Like Like x 3
  13. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    I have no idea about the rod/screws aspect, but bones typically heal stronger than before. Don't know if he would ever be cleared or not, but if so, I'd be all for him playing again

14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm behind him all the way.

A return to football is still possible. Most important sentence from the link below:

If he has full neurologic recovery, no congenital narrowing issues and is in a frame of mind to do so, a return is not ruled out by today's announcement.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.co...d-sp-pfd-ryan-shazier-surgery-1207-story.html

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Steelers '08

Steelers '08 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2016
    That’s awesome! I really hope he doesn’t try to play again though. I’m sure he can find a job in the media business talking about football. I know he loves the game, but it’s just way to risky to try and play after an injury like that. Whatever he does I wish him well!

16. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Good news. I hope he has the chance to play again. Sounds like he’s putting the work in. Looks like it could at least be a possibility in the future.

17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I would cringe every time he made a tackle.

• Agree Agree x 7
  18. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Its the nerves that is the issue, not bones. I 'm no quack but wonder if nerve damage heals similar to bones? Playing football I used to get stingers a lot more often after I got my first one.

19. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Nerves sometimes never heal. There can be permanent nerve damage from almost any injury. If he has nerve damage, it will affect him. How we may never know. He may never have the strength and coordination needed to play football or it could be as simple as the odd tingling in his feet that is easily ignored. Or there could be no nerve damage of any kind.

Either way, nerves aren't really at risk of further injury if he comes back to play, at least no more than any other player. The only reason for someone to not want him to play again is he would be at further risk of injury, but if he's cleared, I simply don't see it. Clearly medical professionals who have examined him know better.

20. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Because what if he isn't so lucky next time something like this happens? Call me superstitious, but I believe people have only so much luck in a lifetime. Take me for example, When I was young I lived a charmed life. I even managed to escape death a time a two. Now, I have a miserable life, wife, kids, dog, and a few members of this site. My lucky has simply run out! I would have to imagine there are other ways for him to make a living.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  21. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Luck has nothing to do with it. Don't drive the top of your head into other people or things and your chance of a spinal injury decrease significantly. With all the violence on football fields, severe spinal injuries are extremely rare. Besides, once he's healed, he's no more likely to suffer another injury than any other player who tackles the same way.

I choose science over superstition.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    Yup, that's my biggest fear. He did this to himself because he always tackled head first. In the heat of the moment, would he forget to tackle properly and lead with his helmet? I'd like to hope not, but he's done it one way for so long can he change how he plays?

23. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    He should really bulk up in the upper body and then we can just have him throw Artie Burns to make the tackle.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I would think, Shazier would adjust how he tackles. Just spit balling here.

At the very least, even if he can't resume playing at the level he once was, I hope he plays 1 down of football again so he can walk off the field of his own power. Then retires.

• Like Like x 1
  25. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    It reminds me of the live broadcast of the guy tightrope walking across the grand canyon. I couldn't watch after the first few steps and I felt sick for the rest of the night. It still gives me chills thinking about it.