1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Who totes the rock this week?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Da Stellars, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    What good is it without a viable running back?

2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    first off, dobbs can run and our RB's can catch and dobbs can throw. it puts it out there for teams to have to plan for too. :cool:

3. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    riddley last year ran for 4.15 yds/carry. i think between the two we can do alright with our line and nix blocking. both he and samuels will and can be used in the passing game as well. thats just more to defend. i think we will be OK for this game. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The Steelers lose their running back and the two replacements are subpar at best and y'all want to respond to that by taking snaps away from the future Hall of Fame quarterback? Seriously?

:facepalm:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    HOF QB that is 2nd in INTs behind the Jets rookie QB. :facepalm:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    we are trying to win a game. the wins with our HOF QB are not stacking up. he is also 0-3 in oakland, so yes we have to make some changes. nobody is saying keep ben off the field for two qtrs. just throw in some wrinkles to help this team win while we are down on weapons. make the raiders defense have to change up the game plan they have. it's a tool. :cool:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Boiling down the evaluation of a quarterback to one statistic is lazy and foolish. He has exactly three more interceptions than everybody's MVP, Pat Mahomes. I guess you think Mahomes sucks, too.

8. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    This board really needs to have an additional 'reaction' emote - like a flame or something (burn!) lol

9. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Yeah but it does kinda matter when and where the ints happen,don't ya think ?

Red Zone Passing Stats

10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Trying to win a game by benching the one player who gives the Steelers a chance in every game is a foolish, panic-driven move. One of the few things worse than judging a quarterback solely by interceptions is judging him by wins and losses.

Playing quarterback is often about finding a rhythm and good timing with the receivers. Taking a quarterback out of the game, even for a few plays, disrupts that rhythm.

I know some of you have these Lamar Jackson fantasies running through your heads when you think about Dobbs. Jackson won a Heisman Trophy in college. Dobbs was mediocre at best. He's more mobile than Roethlisberger, but he's no Jackson. He's not even close.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It does. What matters most is that with Roethlisberger at quarterback, the Steelers are fourth in the league in scoring with 28.8 points per game. They also just scored 30 against the Chargers, who are seventh in the league in scoring defense and they had given up only 14 points per game over their previous seven contests.

• Like Like x 1
  12. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I'm not saying to bench the future HOFer,I do agree with you ,he does give us the best chance to win..But he also gives us the best chance to lose ..
    Being QB( i was in HS) is knowing situations on the field and being smart with the ball more than any thing else IMO.

13. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    :rolleyes:

14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I know you don't like facts getting in the way of your pessimism.

15. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    And you are a big bag of hot air... blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. Talk a lot... and say nothing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Yeah, those silly facts and logical statements are nothing. :rolleyes:

Judging a quarterback by wins and losses is ridiculous. Football is a team sport. It is even more ridiculous to get into Roethlisberger's record in Oakland. How is a game he played there in 2006 relevant to what will happen in 2018? Aside from the fact that he is a completely different player and this is an entirely different team, do you even remember the context to that game? That was Cowher's final season and Roethlisberger wasn't right the entire first half of the schedule due to the motorcycle accident and having an appendectomy.

So what is your argument? He might still be recovering from those things? Maybe that crappy performance in Super Bowl XL and the team's Super Bowl hangover will still be a factor this week?

Or maybe it's the claim that rhythm and timing are important for quarterbacks that troubles you?

Are you disputing the assertion that Lamar Jackson has a far better track record than Dobbs, especially when you consider what they did in college?

17. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    So you're saying Chad Pennington is a better QB than Tom Brady? Both were taken in the 2000 draft. Pennington obviously had a better pedigree than Tom Brady going into the draft. Obviously.

Obviously, we can't compare Dobbs to Jackson until Dobbs gets some playing time. Obviously.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    No, but we compare the available information. We have more information regarding Brady and Pennington than we did when they were drafted.

Jackson has shown the ability to have some success in games that actually matter at the pro level. Dobbs has thrown one meaningful pass. Another relevant part of the evidence available in comparing those two is what they did in college. Jackson won a Heisman Trophy. Dobbs was mediocre at best. The massive gap in their college performances also informs us what they might do going forward.

Tom Brady is the example of the exception for everything. You are certainly welcome to try to make your living on quarterbacks who couldn't hold a starting job in college then turned in a terrible showing at the combine, be my guest.

19. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Although I don't want to see Ben come off the field, thats not true about Dobbs. He won the starting job in 2014 and never looked back.

And the combine was where I noticed him, thought he looked the best out of the group throwing the ball that day. Have no idea what his numbers were though but thats a poor measuring stick for what kind of QB he will make in the pros.

I've never been a fan of pulling your starting QB though, didn't like when they did it with Kordell.

20. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I see less than 20 carries combined for our Rbs. Unfortunately Ben will throw the ball 50-60 times. Anything over 30-35 throws for Ben does not usually end well.

• Agree Agree x 3
  21. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Pulling Kordell wasn't the problem, putting him back in was.

22. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    On 88 more pass attempts. Int % is nearly identical.

23. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Those 20-25 pass ranges for Ben were golden.

Back when we had a D lol

24. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    JuJu 3 carries
    Switzer 2 carries
    Nix 2 carries - 2 yards - 2 TDs

25. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I liked Kordell. He was about 20 years too early with a OC that had no idea how to use him. Having a new OC just about every year didn't help either.

He would have been a star in todays days league.