1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

We Should sign some defensive studs with Bells salary

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Hardini68, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Hardini68

Hardini68 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2018
    do we have talent on D or just poorly coached

2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    No we don't have the talent on defense, you don't see anybody creating any splash plays.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    We should do a lot of things that we don't do

4. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    We should have done it before the season started and told Bell to hit the road but it’s too late now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    When? Now? Nothing out there.

Will be in good cap space next season though.

Will be an exciting offseason, hope they come through.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I agree with @Blast Furnace here. What defensive studs are available to be signed right now? It is the final quarter of the season. We have what we have.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Need to have a productive offseason

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Jares

Jares Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2016
    I wish we would finally go after some big-name free agents in the off season but I doubt we will. It's not "the Steeler way". If we could actually draft well it might not matter, but I'd like to see us start going after free agents.

9. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Our defense is better with Morgan Burnette on the field, but he is never on the field.

Definitely need another Safety or rangy ILB like Shazier.

10. TheMatrixHasYou

TheMatrixHasYou Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2018
    The DL and OLB's are set. We could argue about Dupree but he is signed and staying for one more season so there won't be any change there.

Our ILB's are capable but we don't have a guy with super speed so I would definitely like us to draft or sign a very speedy ILB.

At Safety, I think we could use two guys, draft one, and sign one free agent because the guys we have never make plays.

At CB, I think we could definitely sign one or draft one. If we draft one I think it has to be a high pick, 1st or 2nd round, or forget it.

11. steelcityclash

steelcityclash Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2018
    Cb has to be at the top of the list for FA and draft. We’re one Haden injury away from disaster; a starting lineup of Hilton, sansebough, Sutton, Davis and Edmunds scares no one.

Doubt he’ll hit FA now, but a few weeks ago, there were rumors of Landon Collins not being in the Giants plans. I’d sign him in a heartbeat.

12. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I think "capable" describes most of our defensive players. Occasional flashes of brilliance, but nothing consistent or long term. Couple that with often dreadful schemes, and they will get torched several times a game. I also sometimes think they get tired, mentally and physically, at the end of games.

13. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    As I have said for a long time, we had one game changer on defense,
    unfortunately he may never play again,Big big off season. Let's hope the
    additional cap space will be spent wisely.

14. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I beg the differ on the DL and OLB. Tuitt, Hargrave and Heyward is a good start but we need to upgrade Alualu, McCullers and Walton. And as far as OLB, we need to rid ourselves of Chick. Great special teams guy but nothing else. We need two OLBs to spell Watt and Dupree and hopefully on can push Dupree out the door. Who's bright idea was to go into the season with just 3 was foolish.

15. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Studs are not just sitting around waiting to be signed.

16. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    While we are going to have a lot more cap space than we are used to having we aren't going to be even close to the teams with the most cap space. Check out the projected cap space list on overthecap. There is going to be a ridiculous frenzy in free agency. Guys are going to get paid.

17. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Captain Obvious :lolol:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    They aren't going after two safeties, they just drafted Edmunds and Davis will still be here next season. They should draft a safety to replace Davis in 2020 though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. TheMatrixHasYou

Mar 6, 2018
    Davis just doesn't make any plays and Burnett can't make the field.

I don't know about Dangerfield and Allen, haven't seen enough.

I'm not talking about drafting a Polomalu but even Ryan Clark would make some plays now and then.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  20. TheMatrixHasYou

Mar 6, 2018
    I think Alualu is fine. McCullers and Walton could be upgraded but they are 2nd and 3rd string guys so you're talking about a 4th round or later pick.

I'm not a big fan of Chickillo either. He has a great motor but no run defense ability whatsoever. I like Adeniyi's explosiveness and want to see more of him. TJ Watt and Dupree are the starters at OLB and we're keeping Adeniyi so you're talking about a 4th pass rusher, that's a 4th round or later draft pick also.

21. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Cornerback is the position I would not think twice to splurge on. That position NEEDS upgraded. Re-sign Mike Hilton the same. Artie Burns can hock his brains, pack his bags and head west.

If the cornerback position is unavailable in Free Agency and should we need a OLB, I would also consider Jadeveon Clowney for that. He will be no doubt expensive but he has come a long way since his earlier injury plauged years.

I do concur with some others that interior line depth will be needed. L.T. Walton is likely gone by 2019 as he is a Free Agent. Keeping Daniel McCullers sounds intriguing and he has played better than his limited stats indicate. Tyson Alualu is going to be on the absolute wrong side of 30 though.

Overall, not just a big name signing but depth is essential as well. I do also believe this upcoming draft will be more offensive oriented than others think as well.

22. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    We need to draft some more ILB's to cover the other teams no.1 WR's :shrug:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  23. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Alualu offers nothing as a pass rusher. McCullers and Walton are such a drop off from the starters that everytime we give Tuitt and Heyward a break its a big play. We just need to close the gap from the starters to the backups.

I think our OLBs could use some veteran presence. Adeniyi needs a year in the weight room before he can contribute significantly. I'm still not sold on Dupree even though he's improved slightly. They will give him that fifth-year option but not because of his play, but because they have no one else.

24. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    This past draft was offensive oriented also :facepalm:, a big mistake on their part IMO. The defense is in desperate need of playmakers, they passed on Justin Reid, Genard Avery :shrug:.

25. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Keep in mind the interior offensive line is getting old. Need some depth there. Vance McDonald is nice but will be up in age the same. Jesse James is likely to be resigned but one already knows what they have in him.

Only time Pittsburgh has done all three rounds defensively was in 2016. I doubt that will happen again as that was an anomaly given the circumstances at the time.