1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

CFB

Discussion in 'College Football Talk' started by steelcurtainmrp, Nov 14, 2018.

1. steelcurtainmrp

steelcurtainmrp Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2016
    I do not have a problem with seeds 1-6, I think they nailed them perfectly. But where I think they screwed up is 7-10. How can a two lost LSU team who can't even compete for their conference championship anymore be ahead of one loss teams who are still in the running for theirs? It just doesn't make sense to me. Also, WSU is good, and I think Mike Leach is a great coach, but how are the ahead of WVU? They play absolutely no one and their conference is crap. Even though OSU has played crappy the past couple games they should/could still be ahead of them. I think the 7-10 should go as followed: 7. WVU 8. OSU 9. WSU 10. LSU. You could even make a case for UCF being 10. and LSU being 11., but I just don't think their schedule is strong enough to be top 10.

Thoughts/Opinions?

MRP

2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I am afraid your Mountaineer's play in a conference that doesn't get much
    respect. Maybe if they would start playing some defense in the big 12 that would change?
    Me personally, I only see two teams that look championship caliber.

3. saturdaysarebetter

saturdaysarebetter Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2018
    Well, let's use LSU as an example. They are a two-loss team. Suppose instead of losing to Alabama and Florida, they lost to Alabama and Georgia. They could still be a very good team despite those two losses and certainly better than any other ACC team not named Clemson.

LSU would easily run away with the ACC Coastal Division as would have Penn State. Penn State, the Big 10's fourth best team, beat the ACC Coastal Division leader by 45 points on the road.

4. steelcurtainmrp

Nov 15, 2016

That's why WVU is making their out of conference schedule harder. When they signed Tennessee a few years back they didn't know they would have this kind of a year, we picked them apart. They were also supposed to play NC State who is having a great year, too bad it got cancelled due to the natural disaster. I don't know, maybe they'll start getting some love if they beat OU and win the Big 12. OU's defense is horrid, even after the firing of their DC.

5. steelcurtainmrp

Nov 15, 2016
    I agree with everything you're saying, however, I just think if you are out of your own conference championship contention, you shouldn't be above those still fighting for theirs.

It will be much better and way less controversial when they make it an 8 team playoff, now that will be fun to watch.

6. saturdaysarebetter

Jul 24, 2018
    I agree with you on the 8-team playoff, but your statement, "if you are out of your own conference championship contention, you shouldn't be above those still fighting for theirs." Alabama was out of its conference championship contention last year, but they proved to be the best team in the country, so they shouldn't be above those still fighting for theirs?

7. steelcurtainmrp

Nov 15, 2016
    I don't know, it's such a tough call. I believe conference champions should be rewarded, but teams that are obviously a top four team in the nation have a side to it also. That's why an 8 team playoff would be ideal because it dismisses all of those conflicts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Ok, let’s talk final four heading into conference championship weekend. Obviously, the SEC championship will set the stage. If Alabama wins, it opens the door for an Oklahoma or Ohio State to jump over Georgia into the 4 spot. If Georgia wins, we likely have the SEC in the #3 and #4 spots behind Clemson and Notre Dame (yes, Clemson will win easily). The biggest debate will likely be Oklahoma vs. Ohio State. I think Oklahoma is a better team, and would be way more fun to watch in a playoff game again. However, I also see Oklahoma as having the toughest conference championship matchup of any of the non-SEC contenders. I think they’ll beat Texas soundly enough to stay ahead of Ohio State.

I’m thinking: 1. Alabama, 2. Clemson, 3. Notre Dame, 4. Oklahoma

9. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Sounds about right SE. I want NW and Texas to upset but I don't see it happening.This would really upset the apple cart.

10. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I’d be very happy to see a NW upset because I can’t stand Ohio State. If both NW and Texas win, I think it just puts a 2-loss SEC team in the playoff. If UCF hadn’t lost McKenzie Milton, I’d be all about them getting in as the 4th team, but now I don’t see them having a chance to compete even if they get in.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. saturdaysarebetter

Jul 24, 2018
    It bothers me that Oklahoma's defense is so terrible and for that I'd have Ohio State above them. I don't discount that bad loss to Purdue either versus Oklahoma's close loss to Texas. As for better wins, Ohio State defeated Michigan and Penn State. What is Oklahoma's best victory by comparison?

I don't like Ohio State but if they are in the college football playoff that helps Penn State be in a New Year's Six bowl so I look at it that way. If Georgia beats Alabama, I think it should be: Clemson, Georgia, Alabama and Notre Dame but then that sets up a Georgia-Alabama rematch right away which I don't think the committee will let happen.

12. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I remember when the big 10 conference, like all others, were hard core to keep the schedule to 10 games with one bowl appearance post reg season. Now its a 1 game schedule with the possibility of playing 15 games. So, what has changed? Greed, money, definitely not the concept of student athlete. Going to an 8 game playoff is as stupid as conference championships. Its all about money, that;s it. Just like NCAAM BB tournaments. These teams play each other twice already and they still need a tournament to determine who wins the conference? We already have players opting out of end of season games or bowls afraid of hurting their draft prospects. The NCAA is more and more treating the players like employee's (as entertainers) and the consequences won't be good down the road the way things are going. The elephant in the room is that many players have no business being in college, for obvious reasons, and are acting like employee's to make revenue for their respective universities. Regarding an increase of teams in the CFP., not a smart move. People said is we had a 4 team system, things would be great. What's changed? There will always be someone who didn't get in that will say, "if we had a 16 teams playoff, it would be great". There should be a 'minor league" system where qualified players can go from high school and get paid and not pretend they are scholar athletes and wasting a seat in a classroom that some deserving student was denied.

13. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Am I the only one that thinks..... if the Alabama v Georgia game is close, either way...... they keep both in the playoffs?

Oklahoma and OSU have some severe defense problems, and I'm not sure the talking heads will want either of them in the playoffs if the two SEC schools seem strong enough.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I think if Alabama wins, a one loss Oklahoma or Ohio State team would get in ahead of Georgia - even if it’s a close game. I think that’s especially true for Oklahoma, because if they have only one loss, it means they will have avenged that only loss.

15. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Well, it’s a few hours until the selections are made. I still predict:

1. Alabama, 2. Clemson, 3. Notre Dame, 4. Oklahoma

I will be disgusted if Ohio State gets in. Oklahoma’s only loss was to Texas by 3, and they avenged it yesterday. Ohio State got blown out by Purdue 49-20. That’s a bad loss. Also, I was disgusted when Ohio State was slinging the ball at the end of the game last night while up by 14 - clearly just to pad the score.

One other thing. I don’t think Notre Dame is one of the 4 best teams in the country. They’ve managed to go 12-0, but I would bet on any of the other top 6 teams to beat them by double digits. However, they have to be in there as a 12-0 team with a schedule full of Power 5 conference teams.

If I had a vote, I would put Georgia in instead of either Oklahoma or Ohio State. I just think they’re better, and unlike Notre Dame OU and OSU have losses on their resumes. I would set Georgia at #3 and Notre Dame at #4.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. saturdaysarebetter

Jul 24, 2018
    What bothers me is the playoff committee. Isn't their purpose to select the four best teams for the playoffs? Well then they failed to do that.

If their purpose is to select the four teams with the best seasons, then just come out and say so, because that's what they did. If that's the case then, you may as well just load up on cupcakes out-of-conference like Washington did in 2016 to make the playoffs. Why risk the chance of a loss before you play your conference schedule?

17. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Who would you have selected, and why?

Personally, I can’t argue with 1 and 2. They are easily the best 2 teams in the country IMO. I don’t think Notre Dame is one of the 4 best teams in the country, but they played a schedule with a bunch of power 5 teams and won all 12 game. The only one I can argue with is Oklahoma over Georgia, but I get why OU got the nod.

18. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Its gona be OU vs Clemson in NC game .........JMO

19. saturdaysarebetter

Jul 24, 2018
    If you're going to pretend you're picking the best four teams: Alabama, Clemson, Notre Dame and Georgia.

If you're going to pick the best four seasons: Alabama, Clemson, Notre Dame and Oklahoma.

Oklahoma's defense gave up 40 points to Kansas. Kansas! That alone should disqualify them from the conversation. LOL

20. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    I wish the CFU qb didn't get injured and they were the fourth team. I think they beat
    both ND and Oklahoma. Unfortunately they would match up against Bama in first round
    and it might not be pretty.

21. saturdaysarebetter

Jul 24, 2018
    In an eight-team playoff, I believe they would have been included and deservedly so. If they beat LSU, after beating Auburn last year in the bowl game, that would go a long way into talking the talk and not just walking the walk. However, winning one game is a lot easier than going through an SEC or P5 conference schedule. Boise State upsetting Oklahoma years ago for example.