1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

I think this proves.....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by takenoprisoners1, Dec 4, 2018.

1. takenoprisoners1

takenoprisoners1 Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    I was on the treadmill Monday after debacle day and I heard a quote from one of the Chargers (Lynn or Rivers or whoever) that started with the words, "I think this proves...." Now, the context was going to be something like overcoming SD's inability to come back and win a big game or something......BUT given the way the game transpired, my mind immediately thought..... "If the next words out of your mouth aren't something like.... 'that football can often be a game of breaks -- sometimes they go your way, and sometimes they don't' and then put your head down and get out of town grateful for the questionable 'win,' then I'm going to lose it...." Sure enough, it was all about their ability to overcome adversity and their mental toughness, blah blah blah.....

Now granted, San Diego took full advantage of our second half defensive lapses and infinite free opportunities to kick the game winning field goal, but when 2 of your touchdowns come from garbage that everyone KNOWS is garbage, and the 3rd because Sean Davis sabotaged his own player (sidenote: I keep trying to find something, ANYTHING -- an angle, a slip, ANYTHING that tells/shows me the hit on Haden was a legitimate accident that could have happened to anybody.... I haven't found it yet.... I'm usually not one for extremes on fire/cut someone because of a mistake but I have serious concerns about someone who's capable of SUCH a lapse of skill/judgment/sight. This wasn't 2 guys bearing down on a ball or a receiver and just running into each other..... this was one guy bearing down on a ball, securing it, and the OTHER guy bearing down on HIM with the receiver not even CLOSE. If someone has found some view of the play that suggests otherwise I'd LOVE to see it and come back down to earth, but it occurred in the endzone I was sitting in for the game, and even at REAL time I couldn't understand what I had just seen -- but I digress).... the only thing that proves is your capable of being provided points you never really earned from something YOU did.

So, as RatBirdHater has posted, since the odds seem stacked against us making a deep playoff run, and since Jacksonville was a flash in the pan we can't get revenge on, I'm also rooting for that scenario where San Diego goes 13-3, but loses the tiebreaker with KC, becomes the 5 seed and all 500 of the L.A. Chargers fans complain that they have to go play an 8-7-1 Steelers team IN Pittsburgh (yeah, that assumes the Ravens collapse, but I can dream, can't I?) and they give us an officiating crew whose head isn't so far up their collective butt they need an enema to remove them, and we find a way to send them packing without sabotaging ourselves. And start the press conference with the words, "I think this proves..."

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  2. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    I think this proves referees can influence the outcome of a game

• Like Like x 1
  3. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Who cares about the chargers they ain't winning d*** with rivers as there QB and everybody knows it. Let them be excited over a bs win in Pittsburgh it's all they have in life.. Plus with rivers 27th child on the way I'm sure hell be retiring soon to take care of that army and they'll all be asking daddy why Eli and Ben won 2 SBs and he didn't

4. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Rivers has been on some talented teams yet a goose egg, someone said "shot putter" lol.

5. Smitch89

Sep 11, 2018
    The only thing rivers has done that warrants any kind of pat on the back was playing on a torn ACL in the AFC title game one year. While Jay Cutler rode a bike in his one championship game appearance.. Congrats phil your just a step ahead of jay Cutler lol

6. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    You're being very generous here!

7. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I tell Charger fans (when I can find them) that the only difference between the Chargers and Bengals is that the Bengals lost to the 49ers TWICE in super bowls!

8. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    The Chargers are a fraud. If they get a chance to go to Foxborough they will get their manhood taken from them. Just like the more talented teams they have had in the past have done. Definitely pretenders...

9. Smitch89

Sep 11, 2018
    People are putting rivers in the Hall of Fame conversation too. Biggest joke I've ever heard.. If they do that then they might as well put Romo in as well and change the name from the Hall of Fame to the Hall of eh f*** it why not

10. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I've always liked Alex Smith far better than Rivers! Then again, I like Johnny Football better than Rivers!

11. rocketdog

rocketdog Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2016
    lol, This was funny! :)

12. Smitch89

Sep 11, 2018
    As much as I think Alex Smith sucks he does always put his team in a position to be in the playoffs every year somehow.. Something rivers can't say. Throw Alex Smith in the Hall like I said it's the Hall of the eh f*** it why not now lol

13. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Rivers is top-10 all-time in passing yards, touchdowns and passer rating. It’s not that far-fetched.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Smitch89

Sep 11, 2018
    We're in a passing league now. I'm sure Goff Wentz Mahomes could have those kinds of numbers when there careers are done.. Doesn't mean they should be Hall of famers.. The Hall of Fame should be reserved for the greatest of the great not for a QB who's never played in a super Bowl.. Or someone with a face like his

15. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Concur! Look at him when he's pissed with his helmet on. Straight up "Alice the Goon" "I love Popeye.........I love Popeye"

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  16. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Not saying he belongs in the Hall. And you have to look at his career numbers in his era, not offense-crazy 2018. Check out where he sits for those stats v. his older QB peers.

17. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I’m taking the Saints, Rams, Chiefs, Patriots as legit teams. If the Steelers show me that they can compete against the pats and saints. I will hold out hope that maybe we can contend in the playoffs. They still have a chance to prove that. But as of now I’m not feeling confident

18. Smitch89

Sep 11, 2018
    Sounds like a lotta work man I'll pass. His face doesn't belong in the Hall

19. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    That hit was one of the dumber things I've ever seen in a football game.

20. takenoprisoners1

takenoprisoners1 Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Could it be that Davis really wanted Mitchell’s number when he was let go, but he felt compelled to let Haden have it and never forgave him and was just LOOKING for the opportunity to take out his frustrations? I mean, at least that would bring some meaning to it....otherwise, the implications are mind-boggling....

21. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I'm thinking it was a dumb attempt at blowing up the receiver, which would have more than likely given the Chargers the ball back anyway.

22. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    So Marino and Moon don't deserve Hall of Fame? What about Jim Plunkett? He won 2... just like Ben and still is not in the HOF.

23. Smitch89

Sep 11, 2018
    Rivers wouldn't be allowed to hold Marino or moons junk when they pee.. Not in the convo with those 2

24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Rivers is a great QB. I don't know if hes HOF worthy, never gave it any thought but to me, there is no denying he is great at throwing that football. Which amazes me with his delivery.

25. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Rivers, because he is a QB with beefy enough stats (minus the SB rings), will most likely be HOF first ballot. I don't love the guy, but you can't deny he is an upper-echelon QB deserving of that honor.

(Go ahead, Smitch, we know you want to comment on what I just said about your man-crush lol)