1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

2 direct bad ref calls that gave the Chargers 14 points

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by rcoplien, Dec 3, 2018.

1. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I've never seen a blatant false start ignored. Usually I question whether there was one and then on replay you can see the flinch. If anything, false starts might be the best called play in the NFL. That is what was so irritating about the non-call on a blatant false start last night. Then seemingly every call and non-call went against the Steelers and for the Chargers. Just a total ****-show.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Honestly I feel that one of the offsides calls on the kick could have gone either way. They should let Tuitt hang back and try to jump up and block it, I bet that dude can sky.

Also I think the guy Edmunds lit up fumbled the ball... he clearly caught the ball and turned around on his own accord (football move).

It makes you wonder. Rivers was the media darling of the night on NBC with his "magical season" and they wind up getting all the calls. go figure?

3. bettissb40

bettissb40 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Out of shape, have a tendency of going into relax mode when leading a game. We see it all the time, they just can't bury snyone.

4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    That's bad when you're playing at home and the refs still screw you over :shrug:.

5. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    That ref crew somebody needs to be fired or suspended.

6. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

Funny thing is all the sport's shows i watched today NFL/ESPN , didnt even mention the penalties .It's like they went out of their way to avoid talking abt them

7. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Roger Goodell probably called them and told them to lay off the refs :roflmao:.

8. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Minnesota got completely hosed by the Patriots crew as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Golic and Wingo talked about the penalties on their show this morning. That's the only national broadcast I heard today.

10. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    The refs are Charger's fans. << kidding

For real though, some penalties we complain about are actually reasonable to be called.

That false start that should have been called however was an absolute joke. They dropped the bomb on that one. Would have taken a TD off the board. They usually don't miss them that bad, but they did that time.

The line judge must of saw a pretty blonde in the stands. I understand.

11. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    You can all flame me if you like, and I know the zebras aren't popular on the board today. But I'd urge everyone to think long and hard before giving broader authority to the Big Eye in the sky. Everyone's in a snit today because replay wasn't there to change the outcome of uncalled false starts and blocks in the back. So the answer is to expand replay to 'correct' this. But empowering replay to 'correct' calls gets you things like the Jesse James call.

Like expanding govt, expanding replay is a corrosive evil, where common sense is replaced with a long litany of half-baked, poorly-conceived bureaucratic procedures. The very building blocks of hell on earth.

• Like Like x 1
  12. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

GMFB and the Heard did not mention anything abt it

13. rutan74

rutan74 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    First of all, let me just say that I retired after 28 years of wearing the stripes. Not football, but basketball so I know a little about the mentality going on with officials.

News flash....bad calls happen. If the league decides to fire the line judge, so be it. Believe me, after the game when they get graded in the locker room, his ass was chewed out beyond belief and then the entire crew was chewed out and will feel it in their grading. All officials are graded after every game and critiqued for stuff they got right and stuff they got wrong. FWIW, once a game goes in the crapper, as an official you can never get back on track. I saw this on that first Charger series when the same dufus committed the same penalty and it was not called. I told my wife that the officials were not on and the game is headed in the wrong direction. Believe me, as an official, you screw the pooch in the first quarter, it is going to be a long game and as we saw, it only got worse.

OK, so what? True, the Steelers got hosed on a couple of calls no doubt about it but firing the official whose responsibility it was will do NOTHING to bring back a win on that game. Nothing.

So they fire him. Big deal. The problem is that it will not fix the problem.

Also remember that the eye in the sky don't lie and about 20 million saw it last night. Not good for the league. What's the solution? You will never see reviews of what I call judgement calls like holding, pass interference etc. Offsides though is not a judgement call. You either are offsides or you are not. It is pretty simple to see and they could go back and review to see offsides or if a player jumps prematurely. So, the owners might expand reviews to review plays that do not involve judgement like offsides. Again, camera angles have to be spot on, but with all this technology it can be done.

Now, what will the Steelers do about it? Given their past, they have put their tails between their legs and just not went after the league while the league meanwhile sends out a form letter saying sorry, we missed one but we pledge to do better next time.

To hell with the fines. Tomlin should have lit up the presser after the game. What a wuss. He should have had the Rooney's fork over the fine money but either way, to hell with the fines and let the league have it. Again, in all these situations, the Steelers have just bent over and taken it without putting up a stink about it. I see nothing different today. They always try to play the nice guy. Maybe they will put in a formal complaint of some sort but I doubt it. Art should have been on the horn to the commish at halftime lighting him up and asking him what he was going to do about it. Hey, the ref admitted they blew it, so there is no question.

Now, facts are facts. The refs did not cause the Steelers to lose the game. Up by how many? The Steelers could have easily shut down the Chargers on that last drive or made a tackle on the punt return or Ben not throw another pick or made the INT in the end zone or stopped one or both of the 2 point conversions. So, they were their own worst enemies last night.

It is just convenient to blame someone other than yourself and the refs are always available to blame.

rutan

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. quark12000

quark12000 Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2015
    Why would they be fired for following orders?

Guys, after the Cheatriots beat Minnesota, I KNEW we were going to lose. I didn't even watch the game, knowing we would get hosed by the zebras. The NFL wants the Patriots to have the bye. They'll give the Super Bowl to them, too, so Brady can retire a winner. It's so obvious, it's sickening.

15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I found a Yahoo Sports article stating the Haden offsides wasn’t offsides, so we should have got the ball.

It also stated that was a fumble.

For what it is worth.

16. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    [​IMG]

17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Was that the opinion of some Yahoo writer? It is tough to say what it is worth without knowing who was saying those things.

Edit: I see I already got a dislike on this. I'm not arguing the point. I just want to know who was making it. It is tough to evaluate its credibility without that information.

Was it this article?

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburg...go-offsides-on-Steelers-blocked-FG-125806105/

It's some Yahoo guy I've never heard of and you can't tell anything from that clip because it is a terrible angle and you can't see the ball.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The same NFL that suspended Brady for possibly knowing about balls being deflated and not being completely honest about it? Please. Just stop.

I remember being on the other side of this foolishness when conspiracy theorists claimed that the NFL wanted the Steelers to win Super Bowl XL, so it made sure the officials gave the game to Pittsburgh. It was ridiculous then and it is every bit as ridiculous now. Imagine of something like that actually happened and it was exposed. It would destroy the league's credibility. There is no way the NFL would take that kind of risk just because it wants a certain team to win. It's way too much risk for no real reward.

The officials sucked Sunday night. You can certainly argue that they cost the Steelers the game. (Though the Steelers also did a lot to cost themselves the game.) Somebody should be fired for the missed false starts. But all of that said, the conspiracy theory stuff just needs to go. It is ridiculous.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

It certainly is the easiest call to make. Did the oline move? watch carefully. A chimp could have made that call.. Zebras need to be replaced with Chimps.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I have a Heinz calendar for those special occasions!

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Agreed/understood. Hence the “for what it’s worth”.

22. quark12000

quark12000 Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2015
    First of all, I'm entitled to state my opinion, don't tell me not to.

Second, that suspension was, of course, for Brady to make a heroic comeback after the suspension. You can write the script yourself.

23. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
  24. Spock

Spock Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2015
    MT would say 'obviously'. This really comes as no surprise. I don't believe in league conspiracy. However, the fix is in during some games. Gambling and this much money is going to tempt some people beyond their ethical limits. The Pats are notorious cheaters. Statistical analysis would prove that the laws of probability are violated with them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    We are expected to believe that Brady, Kraft and Goodell are all good actors and nobody leaked that information? You're funny.

But yes, you are entitled to post foolishness. Just don't be upset when somebody points out that you look like a fool when you post it.