1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Playoff chances looking dim

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blackNgold, Dec 3, 2018.

1. MattyMo9

MattyMo9 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    Oakland is pretty much the season. We win and we should make the playoffs. Lose and it’s all over

2. tyler christopher

tyler christopher Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2016
    ravens are gonna get crushed by chiefs and chargers

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Jares

Jares Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2016
    If we lose to Oakland this weekend, which is more likely than not given previous performances in Oakland (we haven't won there since 1995 and that was also the last time we played them when they had a winning record), then the season might as well be over. I don't see us winning both the NE game and the NO game so...if it were me, I'd shut it down and preserve draft position. I know that isn't a popular thing to do, but I'm a pragmatist. If we lose to Oakland, we're not doing anything in the playoffs. Heck I don't see us doing much even if we win against Oakland.

Now there will be some who point to 2005 (?) when we ran the playoff table as a 6 seed. However, we also had to win a bunch of games just to get that 6 seed so we were playing well at the end of the year. That's not the case this year so far.

4. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Don't worry. As long as they finish above or at .500 that's good enough for Art Rooney.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I'm not in doom and gloom mode yet.

6. Steelers '08

Steelers '08 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2016
    It’s unbelievable we were looking at a top seed just two weeks ago but now we’re hoping just to make the playoffs. It’s been a train wreck to in the last two weeks. Just blowing two games in epic ways. Against Denver 4 TO and last night a 17 point lead blown. Something has to change or we’re going to keep watching the same thing every year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. rutan74

rutan74 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    In another thread, I said do not listen to, or believe the talking heads. They are just talking heads. They know nothing. Last night, everyone except one talking head on NBC had the Steelers. Talk is cheap. These people are paid to keep you the reader or viewer interested.

My point in the other thread was to let your eyes do the talking. What do you SEE, not what others are "saying". What we or at least I should say, I see, is a team that has no defense. Cannot stop the run nor stop a passing attack. In the next 3 weeks, they are going to get maybe the GOAT for one and then the MVP for this season in the NFC at home no less. Now, forget what folks are saying, based upon last night, what do you see? Brady owns the Steelers. They have no answer for Gronk let alone Brady. Brees is just a notch better than Rivers and how did that work out?

The only hope and it is just that, is that the Saints lock in the Division and take their foot off the gas when they play the Steelers. Otherwise, this will be a blowout of massive proportions. The Saints have a great RB, great wideouts and they score a ton of points. Looks like the Steelers will not have any kind of running game so the Saints D can just throw everything at Ben. Lights out.

rutan

• Like Like x 1
  8. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Not exactly sure what you commenting to. My comment was in regards to the assessment that the playoff hopes are 'dim' and that actually the statistical probability is antything but. By this I mean chances of making the playoffs, not necessarily chances of playoff sucess. I used to figure playoff probabilities and tie breaker scenarios for years. I've come to a couple of conclusions: media poorly explains playoff probability and tiebreakers to the public, because they don't understand them . The publics view of their teams playoff chances swing wildly with their teams most recent result. Two weeks ago, the road to The SB goes thru PGH!!, this week woe-is-us playoff prospects are dim.

The Steelers will very likely make the playoffs, even if they lose as you suggest, to NE and NO. Balt has to go to KC and LAC, they've gotta win too. If the Steelers beat the dumpster fires in Oak and vs Cin, they will Avery likely make the playoffs, even if they get smashed by Brady and Brees. Why? Because Balt would need to go 3-1 to pass them, and Balt is barely a .500 team and have difficult games of their own,

The Steelers may stink, and may not deserve to make the playoffs. But someone's gonna win the AFCN, and the competition ain't exactly the '85 Bears,

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I disagree here - the Saints D aren't world beaters. They are mediocre in just about every stat that matters. I said it a couple of other times in other threads - if Ben & Co are on, they can easily put up 40 on them. It's going to be up to the D to actually show up for 4 quarters.

10. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Eh idk, I think they beat the Chargers.

11. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Just need to win against Jokeland. Lose, and the joke is on the Steelers as they have been playing joke football as of late.

12. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I think chargers are overrated, we were cruising and decided to fall apart because we suck ass

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I am.

• Like Like x 1
  14. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I'm not

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. takenoprisoners1

takenoprisoners1 Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Agree in principle with the not panicking. But disagree with the Ravens losing to the Chargers if likely outcomes occur. Key will be the Chiefs/Chargers game in week 15. If Chargers win, they’re still playing for division. If they lose, they’re probably already the 5 seed (thanks to beating the Steelers) with nothing else to play for in the regular season except to not get injured. Just perfect bs timing as the Ravens come to town. Teams playing to not get injured rarely win against teams fighting for a division....

I’d doubt the Saints will be locked in to their seeding by week 16, but hope springs eternal....

16. TheMatrixHasYou

TheMatrixHasYou Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2018
    Too many people counting chickens before they've hatched.

We don't have to beat Oakland to "do anything" in the playoffs. There is no NFL rule that says that. We can lose to Oakland and then win all of the remaining games and the super bowl. These rules you people keep trying to set in place are not rules that the real world follows. You can't force the universe to obey your ridiculous rules. The Oakland game is ONE game, it's not the season, not yet. You don't know what's going to happen.

How about we stop guessing and stop trying to predict things that you can't predict and you try to actually sit back and relax, regardless of what happens, and maybe attempt to enjoy watching the games? The season is going to be over before you know it and then what will you have to watch?

• Like Like x 1
  17. takenoprisoners1

takenoprisoners1 Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Dude, if you take away our ability to predict what might or might not happen, then we’re left with actually discussing what DID happen. Where’s the fun in THAT?????

18. TheMatrixHasYou

TheMatrixHasYou Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2018
    As long as you know that it's all fantasy and has no real value. Some here act like all of this crazy prediction stuff is real. It's like wearing the same socks to every home game. They're trying to force the universe to react in a way they want if they do things the same way as they did before or if they make threats to stop watching the games the rest of the season. The universe does not follow your desires and it certainly does not obey your threats.

Some really think that if we lose to the Oakland Raiders then that means that we CAN'T win the super bowl. If Ben throws interceptions we probably lose, it doesn't matter who we play. If Ben is at his best we probably win, that's it.

People who like to gamble like to try and predict things, they're trying to figure out whether they are "on" or "off". If they are "on" then they think they have some insight into how the universe works and they will be big winners at gambling or they will somehow be able to predict what's going to happen but the universe doesn't work that way. No one knows what's going to happen.

19. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Something NEW for you!

20. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    How do you like our chance's against NE and NO in NO? Ravens can beat both of those teams.

21. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I agree with this I have been struggling with these last 2 losses. I am really starting to wonder if it isn't time to send MT packing and hand Munch the keys next year. I feel like this is ground hog day every freakin year. There is so much talent on this this it is crazy, and I mean both sides of the ball. I am not trying to change the focus of this thread but holy cow we were looking at a #2 seed with hopes of maybe a #1 if we got a few breaks vs the Cheats and Saints and now we could be out with a top 15 pick........this is hard to take for me.

:tequila::tequila::tequila::tequila:

22. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Tomlin isn't getting fired after this season, but add another bad one after it and he could go.

I think they are going to miss the playoffs. I expect the Steelers to go 2-2 the rest of the way and that won't get it done. The Ravens' defense is excellent, good enough to pull off a victory over the Chiefs or Chargers. The Browns are improved, but I see Baltimore squeaking that one out to got to 10-6.

One of those 6-6 teams is going to go 4-0 the rest of the way and grab the last wild card. The Titans have a good shot because their remaining schedule is weak. They face the Jaguars, Giants, Redskins and Colts. Both NFC East teams are toast and I don't trust the Jags or Colts at all.

You can't give away three games in the NFL and be a playoff team unless you pull off at least one big win against a great team. The Steelers aren't getting that win against the Patriots or Saints and they gave away the losses to the Chargers and Broncos and the tie against the Browns.

23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It really isn't and there really isn't evidence to back that point. People act as if the Steelers were a .500 team last season. They were 13-3 and that was with getting screwed by Al Riveron in the loss to the Patriots.

Maybe Tomlin is in trouble if they lose out, but even 8-7-1, I doubt Rooney will even consider firing him after this season. If they miss the playoffs again next season, then perhaps he will see it is time for a fresh start as they rebuild around a new quarterback.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    The Steelers go 2-2 over the last 4 games.
    The Ravens go 2-2 over the last 4 games.
    Steelers win the division, Not complicated.

25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It's not complicated, but it is very, very far from a sure thing. The Ravens could easily blow that plan out of the water by beating the Chiefs this weekend.