1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

This was going to be another bashing Butler thread, but . . .

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steel Acorn, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I thought back to the game, and though there were some key breakdowns, the guy certainly did not get any breaks -

One TD was a result of a missed offsides call that caused the defense to slow down. Now sure, they should play hard to the whistle, but this was a blatant error that cost 7. Up till then, the D was doing OK.

One TD was an interception, and they had double covered Allen (finally). But the double coverage collision caused a weird TD.

Special teams TD was not Butler's D fault. That's 21 points that were maybe not the D's fault or just plain unlucky.

The last drive for a TD was bad, as was the final drive for a FG - no excuse for that collapse. But if the earlier weirdness does not happen, the D probably has SD in a big hole and can play more aggressively.

Not an excuse, but this thinking has calmed me down a bit.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Brandon556211

Brandon556211 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
  3. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Putting Bostic on KA is all him. He does these stupid schemes that get exposed and inexplicably sticks with it.

• Agree Agree x 6
  5. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    The Chargers did a good job creating mismatches by speading the defense. I believe when the defense adjusted with 6 dbs the Chargers ran the ball on them with success.

I think there are other issues or mismatches that would surface if the Steelers attempted to play their LBs in positions that wasnt comfortable to them.

It helped that Rivers played a hell of a 2nd half game. He made a lot of clutch throws under pressure.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  6. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Question is...why does our HC with a DC background sit idly by while he continues to do it. It goes back years.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Yes, the end of the game strategy was a head scratcher. Maybe some injuries or fatigue we aren’t aware of. I also wonder if Butler thinks his players are better than they are. Maybe he thinks these guys are all superstars or something. That would explain why he puts them in positions to fail -he has some weird sense of confidence in them. I just don’t know.

8. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Mike Hilton's job should be shut down the slot receiver... EVERY GAME! Just give him one job!

Unless SD was pre-snap shifting so what wasn't possible? I don't know? I don't get it. Allen should have been Hiltons job all game?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I think we should fire Keith Butler

And then bring him back quick when we realize that didn't work out so well. F it fire everyone and get me a beer.

10. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    There's really only one way to find out...

11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    He got involved and took over some of the DC duties last season. Didn't help.

MT has his own set of problems, I'm going to hold the DC accountable for the defense.

Better question is why didn't he fire Butler last year. Because he got involved or maybe just wanted to give Butler more time? Hope that rope runs out this season.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  12. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Curious as to what you consider his problems are? I am of the belief that the reason he didn’t get fired was because Tomlin had a big part in the D and Butler shouldn’t have been a scapegoat. That would look real bad for Tomlin.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Butler is not without fault, but there is a lot of truth to what the OP stated.

14. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I am still amazed and intriguied as to how the Head Coach has anything to do with the defense's performance last night despite that gameplan having nothing to do with him. I am even more amazed as to why the Head Coach needs to hold the Defensive Coordinators proverbial hand. :hmm:

15. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Not coaches fault at all. We win if Davis doesn't go head hunting on his teammate

16. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    You are out of your depth.

17. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Can't wait to hear "Coordinator's Corner" this week.......

18. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I don’t know why he’s having such a hard time with this.

19. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Who is the defensive coordinator again?

20. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Come on , Really?
    HEAD coach man, He’s the guy , he’s the man .
    He has to step in and say , umm Kieth buddy ,this whole lb’s on wr’s doesn’t even look right on paper let alone the field .
    If they are gonna spread us at and run run run , then so be it .But putting a LINEBACKER on their BEST receiver ,lol, who else even thinks that let alone puts in place on the field for the whole world to see .
    People who don’t even know football can look at that matchup and know it’s not right ,SMH

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I was going to just post the same thing Blast. This is inexcusable. Phillis was just licking his chops every time he saw that match up. What the hell was Butler thinking? I'm surprised that Hargrave wasn't out covering him, would have been the same result! The opposing teams best receiver? 9 receptions off of this brain fart with Bostic covering Allen.Yes Butler needs to go, but Tomlin stood by and allowed this to happen. Even Phillis came out and said that the Steelers made zero defensive adjustments coming out for the 2nd half.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. ROBLISBERGER

ROBLISBERGER Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    • Agree Agree x 2
  23. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Butler needs to go. He’s not even trying

24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree somewhat about why Tomlin wouldn't have fired Butler because of his involvement but at the same time, if he had to get involved in the first place, then isn't that cause for concern and reason enough to fire him?

As for Tomlin, Im pretty much on the side now that believes he can take this team to a certain point but not all the way. The lack of discipline is a constant and on full display the last 2 weeks. Davis blowing up Haden is inexcusable. It's hard for me to type that because I have always believed that players are responsible for their execution and that is true to a degree but this is a recurring problem with this team and the buck stops with the HC.

If nothing else, he's been here forever, having a new voice would be a good idea, IMO. Preferably someone heavy on the X's and O's side of the game.

• Agree Agree x 3
  25. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I've never been one of those Fire <insert name here> types - and if the current issues were an anomaly over a few games, or even a season or two at the most, he gets a pass and we keep pressing on with him. But when it's a pattern (and it is a pattern) over many seasons - it's time to at least put some hard thought into whether he is the right fit anymore.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1