1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Playoff chances looking dim

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blackNgold, Dec 3, 2018.

1. blackNgold

blackNgold Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2014
    I was going over some scenarios in my head on how the Steelers make the playoffs. It doesn’t look good. Here they are:

1. Win out, win division.
    2. Win 3 games and ravens win 3 or less, win division.
    3. Win 3 games and ravens win out, wild card.
    4. Win 2 games and ravens win two or less, win division.
    5. Win 2 games and ravens win atleast 3 and all of titans, dolphins, broncos, and colts lose one.
    6. Win 1 and ravens win 1, win division.
    7. Win 1 and ravens win atleast 2, just forget about it.

I think we can safely assume 1, 2, or 3 won’t happen. The best we do IMO is 2-2. That means 4 and 5 are our best chance. I think the ravens could win 3 games, and I don’t like our chances in 5.

To control their own destiny they have to win 3 games. I just don’t see it happening.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Winning another game is looking dim

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  3. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    1-3 is likely for last 4 games. Ravens will win the North because of an easier schedule. I don't see Steelers getting a 6th seed with 8 wins.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. blackNgold

Dec 15, 2014
    If they only win 1 it’s over. To many teams are only 1.5 games back. They would all have to lose two (Dolphins, Colts, Titans, Broncos).

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Ravens will lose to KC and most likely Chargers. I could see them losing to the Browns.

2-2 at best maybe 1-3.

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. blackNgold

Dec 15, 2014
    I can see them going 3-1. Their defense is good enough to slow down Mahomes and stop Rivers.

7. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    I won’t panic at all about missing the playoffs unless the Steelers lose in Oakland on Sunday even if the Ravens lose in KC which I think they will and still have a 1/2 game lead in the division. I think if the Steelers win in Oakland and the Ravens lose in KC and the Steelers go back up a 1.5 in the standings with 3 games to play I think it’s over. At that point the Ravens would have to win out which I don’t see them doing because I don’t see the Ravens beating the Chargers on the road and the Steelers would have to lose their last 3 games to the Pats,Saints and Bengals which I don’t see happening either.

So I mean it’s still a possibility the Steelers could blow this division lead and miss the playoffs but unless they lose in Oakland this Sunday and Baltimore wins in KC this Sunday it is still highly unlikely. I won’t panic unless this team loses in Oakland on Sunday which I don’t think they will.

8. blackNgold

Dec 15, 2014
    If the Steelers lose to the raiders, I’m going to go ahead and call it a season. It would absolutely derail any motivation I have in them against Pats and Saints.

Which I will add that right now I think they can beat both of them. They just need to cut down on the mental errors and focus on the goal.

9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    If they caught Chiefs this week they might have won, but now they get them after having a chance to get a week of practice with Ware and game planning.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Ravens go 1-3. Browns are much improved, glad we are done with them.

Rats will probably go 2-2. We need to do the same.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    I don't see any chance of victory vs. Patriots and Saints. This team is simply not good enough to hang with those teams for 60 minutes. It's really no different than any current bottom feeder in the NFL (49ers, Jets, Bengals, Lions) vs. Patriots and Saints.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    They lose next week and they are likely looking at a 5 game skid and maybe close out the season with a victory against the Bengals.

If we don't see a coaching change then, we never will.

Next week is an absolute must win.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. blackNgold

Dec 15, 2014
    I agree. Depending on which bucs team they get they could easily go 1-3. As a Steelers fan though, I feel like it’s coming down to week 17 and some extreme anxiety!

13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Thats money in the bank!

• Like Like x 2
  14. blackNgold

Dec 15, 2014
    I would say it’s more the difference in key moments. Patriots and Saints seem to make plays when it matters. Steelers tend to pile on mistakes.

Cut the mistakes and I see them handling the patriots handedly. Saints is more of a coin toss.

15. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    I think the astronomically slim chances of Steelers winning either of those games... is better vs. Saints than Patriots. Steelers are playing better on the road this year than at home. Maybe we can borrow the Cowboys D for those games? Probably wouldn't matter though, Ben would throw at least one INT in the red zone.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Bucs have no chance. Ravens will eat Winston alive.

17. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    To say the that playoff chances are 'dim' is a bit much. Their chances of making the playoffs based on working out the scenarios is estimated to be 60-80% by people who figure these things. 60% is not a remote chance.

But if your hopes were pinned on getting a big playoff run through home field, those chances dimmed considerably.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    imploding in games and imploding in the season lol. Time is running out

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. SteelersFanFromTX

SteelersFanFromTX

Jan 1, 2012
    I think next week will tell the story.

If the Steelers beat the Raiders AND the Ravens lose to the Chiefs, IMO the Steelers are in.

If both do not happen, they are done.

20. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Pittsburgh will be in the playoffs. There is simply far too much pride in that lockeroom and nevermind on that team to concede the season all together. The talent is there without question.

Now, what is looking "dim" is Keith Butler's remaining tenure here. As I indirectly stated in my thread earlier this season, Butler cannot accept the fact that Ryan Shazier is gone yet elects to put his linebackers in unwinnable situations anyways. Why this has, and still is, such an issue since the 2016 AFC Championship Game is beyond me.

• Agree Agree x 4
  21. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    I could see them containing them some but they also won’t stop them and slow them both down enough I feel to win both games on the road. Lamar Jackson I don’t think is going to be able to score enough points in both of those games to win. He can’t do it by running the ball 20 plus times it won’t work against both those teams on the road. The Ravens have looked good beating up teams like the Bengals, Raiders and Falcons who stick we will see how good they do against both the Chiefs and Chargers my guess is not very good at all and not good enough to win either game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. More Balti

More Balti Member

Dec 3, 2018
    Not saying you're wrong but can you elaborate on that? That seems an awfully grim prediction. Only one out of the remaining four?

Forgive me, newbie here

23. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    That's just Schleprock. He'd predict 0-16 except we've already won some games

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  24. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    Already having won some games doesn't stop his 0-16 prediction. :lolol:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  25. InBenWeTrust

InBenWeTrust Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2016
    well let’s win these next four games then dammit!

• Agree Agree x 1