1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

2 direct bad ref calls that gave the Chargers 14 points

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by rcoplien, Dec 3, 2018.

1. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Coaching, coaching, coaching.

The entire D stopped when the non-call happened, including Hilton as he watched Benjamin blow by him. No excuse for it.

2. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

Ray Fittipaldo‏Verified account @rayfitt1
    13h13 hours ago

1. Two holding calls on the Steelers really hurt. Both called by the same official. Both not holds. The first on Foster and a second one on Villanueva. The Steelers were moving the ball well on both drives. Got behind the chains and had to punt.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Sojourner

Sojourner Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2015
    Great point. Agreed.

4. Kolbassi

Kolbassi Well-Known Member

May 1, 2017
    that was the biggest call right there, no way that is holding, game would have been over at that point, refs sucked bad last night.

5. brosonke

brosonke Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2018
    Interesting video here

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    I've just been watching certain plays on GamePass, using slow-motion.

Kick #1: Haden's jump on the snap count looked exactly the same to me as Von Miller's last week. (I'm sure you remember, it was the one the announcers were all slobbering over.) Not offsides, just incredible timing (and maybe some luck). And OMG, does Chargers #80 clothesline Haden to hold him up. Wouldn't have been a ticky-tack flag there--it was flagrant.

Kick #2: You can CLEARLY see the Chargers long-snapper fiddling with the ball right before he snaps it (but not as part of the long-snapping motion). Wouldn't have been a ticky-tack flag there, either--it was flagrant.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I wouldn't have expected any other response!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    While the Steelers had no recourse on either the false start or the block in the back as far as challenging the play the NFL has no such excuse as they were both scoring plays and subject to review. Since it was the only game on they can't feign that there was too much going on and a call should have come from New York telling them to reverse the calls based on the blatant fouls on both plays which are not even open to interpretation.

9. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    With all due respect to Ray, the call on Villanueva was fine. It was a dumb mistake. Rather than allow his arm to get extended around the other player's shoulders, he should have just shoved him and let him go because it was a screen and Roethlisberger was ready to get rid of the ball by then.

10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    They can't review for penalties. It is literally against the rules to throw a flag based on replay.

11. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    What was reported at halftime, ? Something like "ehh we messed up " when refs were asked abt the false start pen? :facepalm:

12. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2017
    I’m not usually one to get on the referees and there is no excuse for blowing a 23-7 lead but in the N.F.L. the talent of the players is so close that you you can’t screw up calls that can decide who wins or loses.Every other professional sport has full time referees and in the N.F.L they’re part time.It doesn’t make any sense for a sport with so much going on at once that the referees are not full time.The N.F.L. makes money hand over fist so don’t be so damm cheap!!!

13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Scoring does that for a lot of teams.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    well it’s about time this changes seeing as how the NFL can send a letter and make a statement after the fact that their refs effed up a game for your team

15. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I am saying had we been up 26-7 or 30-7 it wouldve been game over for them, but as usual we were hammering the nails in the coffin only to be hitting our own thumb lol

16. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I agree, AV should have just released the LB because it was a screen, and by the letter, it was a bit of a hold. But given some of the flagrant holds they deemed unworthy of a flag, it was pretty weak.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    yeah wouldn't ya just die if it was any other comment other then negative?

18. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Suggestion to the Rooneys: put up a section at the stadium for all the NFLs apology letters for referees bad calls! Just the Cowher years would cover a whole section!

19. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Has there ever been discussion of allowing review for penalties. I know some are quite subjective (holding, PI), but other are a bit more clear cut (offsides, 12 men on the field) that could easily be reviewed as they are incessantly by the broadcast.

20. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    They don't have to throw a flag you just overturn the play.

21. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Funny thing is the refs are allowed to huddle and pick up flags routinely

• Like Like x 1
  22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The only way to overturn the play would be to enforce a penalty. They cannot enforce a penalty based on replay.

23. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Correct me someone if I'm mistaken - but the turnover/score automatic replay only looks for things like "was it a turnover" or "were they inbounds when they hit the endzone". They don't look back for other fouls that may have occurred on the play.

Not saying they shouldn't. At that point, they would be taking most of the officiating out of the hands of the on-field crew.

24. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    You say that like it's a BAD thing.........

25. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    The D was not good in the 2nd half, but in their defense they should have gotten off the field when Edmunds blasted the Chargers RB and forced a fumble after he caught a screen, took two steps, and turned 180 degrees towards the end zone.

Another blown call by the refs. If tucking the ball and turning 180 degrees is not a "football move" I don't what is. That was a fumble.