1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

2 direct bad ref calls that gave the Chargers 14 points

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by rcoplien, Dec 3, 2018.

1. rcoplien

rcoplien Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2015
    Offsides and block in the back. Everyone saw it, commentators saw it. Refs turned into Ray Charles and didn't see a thing. So sick of the bad officiating

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Add the INT in the endzone that turned into a TD due to the fluke play!

3. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Add the twitchy Long Snapper.

We can ***** and moan about how bad the team is, how incompetent Tomlin is, how inconsistent Ben is, etc. etc., but seriously... those non-calls were huge.

I can't believe how piss poor the reffing has been this year. Not just in our games, either. They have to introduce challenges on more plays, otherwise this just gets worse.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Was there a replay showing the Chargers' long snapper twitch? It looked like they did something to get the Steelers to jump on the first of those three final field goal attempts. (The other two, Burns was so far off-side that nobody should complain.)

5. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    They showed 2 shots on both the first and second attempt. They didn't show the third, but that was not in doubt.

Burns couldn't even get that correct! Had he blocked it they would have had to try again from further in which would have made it a crazy angle from that hash.

There was it's a little wiggle and reposition he does before he snaps the ball looks like on that first one it's what Haden timed up and had it perfect, like the Denver Von Miller sack. Except they call the offsides on him.

6. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I thought it was clear Haden did move early, but if it was a twitch by the long-snapper, that is certainly another officiating error. That said, it's another case of the Steelers making a mistake. They have to force the kid to make it. You've got a rookie kicker in a hostile environment and he had already missed one.

7. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    I thought the phantom holding call on Foster on the long run by Conner to start the second half was huge as well. That run puts the Steelers close to being in FG range and I thought it was very questionable. That play killed that entire drive and after that things just went completely downhill.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Had we scored I think we would’ve won

• Like Like x 1
  9. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I posted in the gameday thread that it was going to be something that changed the outcome of the game. Those calls at crucial times are the ones that usually decide how a game is going to play out, but tend to get swept under the radar by more egregious ones...Just how they want it.

10. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Horrible calls noted,but this team melted down in the 2nd half.

• Agree Agree x 8
  11. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    You know, if the refs miss a false start, you're still allowed to cover the WR and break up the pass. If the refs miss a block in the back, you're still allowed to tackle the return man. Just sayin.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  12. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    This. Enough of the refs excuses.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Except that the defense relaxed knowing that the false start was going to be called. The same guy moved early on the play before too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Sojourner

Sojourner Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2015
    The refs didn't make us lose the game our guy's pretty much falling apart in the 2nd half did. I'm still trying to figure out how they could be playing so great and then just turn to crap. You can't blame it on injuries either.

They just fell apart.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Brandon556211

Brandon556211 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    This. There were some awful rotten calls, indeed.

But the defense didnt get off the field one time in the second half.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I really just thought he had a great get off on the ball! I guess if you're not an elite pass rusher they'll call it if it's close...

17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Actually, it was both. The Steelers probably survive their mistakes if the officials do a better job. They probably survive the officials if they don't make so many stupid mistakes. It took the combination of incompetence by the officials and the Steelers to give the Chargers the victory.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

Who's fault is that? The WR didn't relax, so why should the DB? Did the whistle blow? Did the ref come in waving his arms? Assume a ref call going in your favor at your own peril.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    True. but that's what happened. Even Phillip Rivers' secret lover, Collinsworth, mentioned it.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Mentioned it once and then acted like those calls never happened the rest of the game. I keep hoping Collinsworth is a Flat-Earth believer who tests the theory!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I'm not happy about the loss, however if we can learn to play an entire game this season is far from over. Unfortunately, that is a big if! Two quarters a game we are world beaters, and I can't figure out why we can't play a whole game?

22. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I've seen nothing that tells me this team has the consistency to compete with the Patriots and Saints. The season pretty much ended.

23. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    The "Ref factor" it has to be part of your game plan and mind set in todays NFL. You can't shoot yourself in the foot by making mistakes because it will decide the outcome of games. Limit your mistakes play good sound Football and you should be ok!!!

24. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He moved many times. The left tackle was doing it, too, and it gave the Chargers a huge advantage in pass protection.

That said, the players on defense shouldn't relax just because they expect a penalty to be called. That has always bothered me and yesterday it cost the Steelers a touchdown.

I don't want to hear about how the Steelers could have still made the tackle on the punt. That return goes nowhere without the block in the back. Yes, Heyward-Bey whiffed first, but it was the block in the back that sprung the return guy.

That the Steelers once again made a ridiculous amount of unforced errors does not take the officials off the hook. Somebody should be fired for the missed false starts alone.

25. brosonke

brosonke Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2018
    Officials lost their jobs after a missed false start in the Chargers vs Browns game earlier this season. Should be the same thing coming out after this game. Blatant missed calls. I saw 4 false starts in the first half that were not called, the most important being the touchdown. Two block in the backs on the kick return. One on Rosie Nix the other on Brian Allen. Regardless, good teams overcome these....we had three drives to start the second half where we couldn't move the ball. Score on one of those possessions and it is a different game. Left too many opportunities out on the field. (Ben overthrow touchdown, Boz missed XP, etc)