1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Top Running Backs in 2019 draft

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelcityclash, May 17, 2018.

1. steelcityclash

steelcityclash Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2018
    Just looking into the future. Which RBs should I be watching for next year to possibly replace Bell?

2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Bryce Love, David Montgomery and Rodney Anderson come to mind.

Closest "Le'Veon Bell" would be L.J. Scott, who is oddly enough, a Michigan State Spartan.

3. steelcityclash

steelcityclash Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2018
    I just wanted to name a few more in case others were interested in following this year. maybe some who follow their teams could add some insight or opinions.

After researching a bit, here are a few I like and will be watching.
    Damien Harris - Alabama... love this dude, powerful and has got hr speed. Has a lil MJD in him.

Mike Webber - Ohio State... interested to hear any Buckeye fans what they think of him.

Justice Hill - Oklahoma State... unique if Qb, RB, WR were all from here

4. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    If rodney andersen has a good year as good as his last one he would be my choice at 6-2 218 he is close to a Bell clone, scott hasnt done a lot in his two years at MState...

5. Herbie Mitchell

Herbie Mitchell New Member

Sep 19, 2018
    I agree with L.J.

6. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I was damn near the only one on here who wanted David Johnson in the '15 draft and then Aaron Jones who went to GB in 2016. I have to give credit to @NYSteelerfan for Kareem Hunt in 2017, good pick.... Then I wanted Royce Freeman in last year's draft, but I still liked James Conner who will be a stud. Anyhow and either way, I think we are good for the RB position for the expected future. A lot of possibilities if we lose Bell, is what I'm saying....

• Like Like x 2
  7. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    not really impressed with this year's crop of RBs tbh. Rodney Smith out of Minnesota was my frontrunner, but he went out for the year with injury.

Going back to the well, but CU has produced some good NFLers recently, with Michael Gallup (Cowboys) my top 1 or 2 WR this past year in the draft. So RB Travon McMillan may be my first choice. Will have to see the rest of the year obviously and combine, but I think a 3rd or 4th is reasonable. And its not a top priority with Conner's performance. We just need a complimentary piece.

But Buffs WR Laviska Shenault....damnnnn... I wish we needed a WR, talk about a player with football in his heart. Yea get some...

Same as when you guys laughed at me for wanting Husker FB Andy Janovich (who Denver drafted). Some guys just have IT.

edit - Gallup was from CSU

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  8. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Bryce Love does nothing for me....

9. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I probably am not drafting a RB...at least not an early stud. Conner, Samuels, and Ridley....and maybe another FA and I would be just as happy for next year.

HACK

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Looks good to me Hack. The key is keeping a very good OL in front of these guys.

11. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I think Ridley's spot will be open and another mid rounder will be added to round out the depth.

James Williams, Washington St, and Travon McMillian, Colorado, are two guys who would be good fits imo. And they play against each other today. Williams is a junior so we'll see if he comes out.

12. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I don't watch a whole lot of college ball but one name I would like to learn more about is Wes Hill Slippery Rock. I watched a video of him and he reminds me more of JC than LB. He hits the hole hard but is also shifty as well once he gets in there. I have read he was academically ineligible for Delaware so there are red flags but I am thinking 3rd round and lower for a RB . If we are looking for a top of the draft guy then Benny Snell is a guy to take a look at.

If we are going to the FA market a name I think is a very good player but just don't get a lot of chances is Latavius Murray. This kid is pretty good and is use to sharing time and could form a nice 1-2 with JC.

13. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Bump :smiley1:. Ok guys time to go to work. It's time to start scouting Conners lightning to his thunder. With the way the OL has been blocking this season and the holes JC has had to run through. I am drooling at the prospects of finally finding that HR hitter and third down back. We need our own T. hill or T. Cohen clone. With the creativity of Fichtner I can see a guy like that finally working out for us. JC,JaySam and ?. Who's that next guy? Who is the missing piece to form Voltron for this O? I'm thinking around the 3 rd round or later unless a stud falls in our laps....

14. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    After watching the WSU-CO game like I posted earlier, James Williams WSU leaped ahead for me. Not a small guy but leaner which would be a change from the power of JC and Samuels. He's the only RB listed in the top 25 of number of receptions per game. He's right in the midst of a bunch of WRs last time I checked. But he's a junior so who knows if he declares. Might be a better picture to judge once all the juniors declare and the dust settles.

15. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    maybe they just go back over to the other side of the building and draft a guy. :smiley1::cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Showtime

Showtime New Member

Dec 29, 2018
    I live in Memphis and Darrell Henderson is the real deal. He ran for nearly 2000 yards this year. He has an explosive first step and will probably be available in the 3rd round...

• Like Like x 1
  17. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
  18. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Agree with not getting an early round RB, but no thanks to keeping Ridley. There will be plenty of inexpensive RBs available in free agency. Always are. Or, spend a later draft pick.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I would love a round 2 or 3 Rb pick up like a Nick Chubb.

I like Connor, but I think we need two guys in the backfield.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    There will be some rd decent veteran rbs out there and most likely an udfa to go along with what we have.:cool:

21. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    We need defense in those early rounds, they have Conner and Samuels, they just need to find a third string RB in the later rounds.

22. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I like Trayveon Williams RB of Texas A&M, a change of pace RB who is fast.

23. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Bryce Love is a guy but since I don't want to see us draft one before round 3 I am gonna say he is out. Others that are down further that I would like to take a look at:

Aeris Williams Miss St
    Trayveon Williams A & M
    Patrick Laird Cal
    Ryquell Armstead Temple
    Darnell Woolfork Army........Local kid from my area

24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Steelers are set 1-2 at RB. They'll pick up a late round guy for the 3rd spot.

Ridley is history.

I'm hoping to see them use Samuels in the passing game and Conner for between the tackles. No reason to wear down Conner with so many touches, lighten his load. Samuels is better in that roll anyway.

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    If we draft a RB before the fifth round I would be highly disappointed. I suspect we will
    tap into FA for an experienced veteran. And not pay too much money at that.

• Agree Agree x 1