1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Big Ben playing past 40!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by francobettis, Nov 9, 2018.

1. francobettis

francobettis Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Man...I was so excited about Mason Rudolph drafted this year, but Big Ben is starting to look like he can play past 40 (ala Brady). Don't see Rudolph playing for a least 3-4 years. Hey, if Ben can do it, i'm all for Ben to start.

• Like Like x 1
  2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    One game :facepalm:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  3. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    He may, but it would probably be for the browns after another 3 Int game the fans will surely turn on him once again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I have always said that there’s no reason to believe that Ben couldn’t play into his 40’s. If Brett Farve can make it there, Ben surely can. As long as he still has his arm strength and desire to compete, he can still play in this league.

However, I wouldn’t be surprised at all if he retired in 2 years too. Who knows with him.

5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    If Ben wins another Super Bowl in the next 3 years, I doubt he would stick around past 40.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    [​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  7. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    It's not just one game. He was playing well before slicing up the Panthers.

Maybe the new commitment to conditioning is making a difference. Unless something major changes, I expect to see him play in 2019. Beyond that, it's too early to worry about it. If Rudolph really is the future, there's nothing wrong with having him sit for two seasons.

8. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Ben looks agile not sluggish. I bet he can outrun Brady

9. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Ben looked as lethal as I have ever seen him. He made it look like he wasn't even trying. He looked like Brady mixed with Rodgers. As good a perfomance as I've ever seen in a game.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. mgsmooth

mgsmooth Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    The offense did look very good using everyone-including Nix. Switzer looks like that slippery possession receiver that Brady kills teams with.

Maybe Ben, Fichtner, AB & Co will realize what this O can accomplish when they don’t target just a few and instead utilize all of their weapons.

But we have seen dominating offensive performances from Ben in the past-just not on a consistent basis.

11. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Maybe he will play into his 40s. I think some of the retirement talk was out of frustration. I don't believe that Haley and Ben were bitter enemies. But at the same time, a personality like Todd Haley's can wear on you after a while. Having the chance to work with Fichtner seems to have rejuvenated Ben. He is in the best shape he has been in in years. He has more imput into the game plan than he has had in years. He seems like he is having fun. Maybe he will run himself until the wheels fall off. Retirement is a lot easier to contemplate when it's off in the distance. When it's right in front of you, often times you rebel against it.

• Like Like x 1
  12. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    If Ben does and I highly doubt it he would be more Brett Farve then Tom Brady. Ben has probably taken twice the hard shots Brady has.

For some reason I think when we play NE all the frustration of years gone by comes to a head and our D-line destroys that mofo.

• Like Like x 2
  13. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    He is under contract for this season and next. I feel they will extend him for another season if in so he wants to. Either of our back ups are ready for prime time. Dobbs looked a bit stiff out there replacing Ben. Hope we only see him again in mop up duty.

14. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Actually if you dig deeper into Ben's stats, he has really struggled in a lot of areas this year. He's been really inaccurate on balls thrown over 10 yards, especially outside the numbers. He's been bad when pressured, which he used to thrive at. Overall he's struggled with his accuracy this year. It has gotten better the last few weeks though. Ben is definitely showing signs of aging and his slow starts are getting worse and lasting longer every year. One of these years, his slow start will last the entire season.

When athletes hit a wall, it tends to happen very quickly. I doubt Ben has 3-4 years left in him, but we'll see

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
  15. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Ben looked good running as well as passing. He's talked about retiring as well as playing for multiple years. So who knows.

the good news is, it appears that QB is a position of strength in depth also so there might be options for trades down the line if he chooses to stick around.

The Steelers organization as already made it clear that they aren't pushing him out the door, and that the job is his until he retires. Or I'm sure if his play drops off dramatically in which if the case he will most likely retire voluntarily.

16. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    What you are forgetting is the shoulder injury. Roethlisberger hurt his throwing shoulder in the opener and I think it took a while for that to start feeling better. He seems stronger since the bye week.

17. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    That's not a hard thing to do. I'll bet a good percentage of the posters here could do it. The dude runs like Big Bird.

18. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Amazing how good he looks now that he is in shape. He seems faster than he has been since he got into the league.

19. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    How long Ben plays is directly related to his health. If sack totals stay low, that's good.

IMHO, Ben wants to pass John Elway in the stats category, as Elway was his hero. Another good season next year and I think he will have him in many categories.

With regards to wins, Ben is also being chased by some of his contemporaries. He is a few regular season wins behind Drew Brees, someone he can pass by playing one more year than Brees. Manning and Rivers are some 25 wins behind, so as long as he keeps playing within 2 years of those guys he should be good with that. Aaron Rodgers and Russell Wilson are also competitors in this category. Should Ben play 3-4 more years, he will definitely finish well ahead of these guys. He could get to 200 wins.

He just got 350 TDs, he will not get to 500 in my opinion.

20. 69-2now

69-2now Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2017
    He better be on his A game next week against Montana.