1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Defense Legit

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Bob in Canada

Bob in Canada Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2018
    Only if they don’t get him. They HAVE HAVE HAVE to get him!!:zwin:

2. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Not gonna get to him with 2-3 guys have to keep playing like this

3. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I think it's worth noting Dupree rushed the QB really well. He was flipping his hips and turning the corner.

The whole pass rush was impressive. Shows the importance being able to pressure the QB to throw them off their timing and get in their head.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Agreed. Too much fancy blitzes isn't the answer either. We need pressure that gets there quickly or Brady will get rid of the ball. The only way we're going to slow Brady and Brees is to get to them quickly, very quickly.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Brady is going to make plays, not matter what D they run. I say pin your ears back and rush him hard every frkn down. You'll end up with some sacks and maybe turnovers, to go along with some big plays. If you don't then it's just going to be whoever has the ball last, wins. Unless the refs screw JJ again!

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    The defense is decent to good and can be really good depending on whether the precedent of early pressure is set (i.e. last night) but the offense is damn near elite. I haven't seen the Steelers O run like it did last night in a really long time. I'm not sure if the television does it justice, but in person, Ben looked to be toying with them. I know AB's overall yards are down, but what he's doing to get these other receivers open is amazing. Juju is 1a and Vance McDonald is the top-tier TE we've been missing for years. I do hope Conner is fine. Thankfully, we have a week-plus for rest.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. knab70

knab70 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2012
    The pressure / sacks from the front seven saved the secondary's ass from losing this one. Without their production Christian would have been the MVP for the night and the out come would have been totally different. Steelers secondary is a complete fiasco and will continue to hender any chance at a championship. deja vu

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I don't know about that. I'm usually negative, but I remember Sensabaugh actually looking like a competent CB.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Where was this pressure earlier in the year, its like Heyward and Tuitt and Hargrave have all stepped up huge the last 3 or 4 games. On one of the sacks last night all three DL and Watt were on Newton.

If the Steelers can get pressure up the middle , that more than anything will throw Brady and Brees off their game.

If Watt hits Brady like he did Cam last night he will be banned for life and Brady will shatter into pieces.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    i say we keep hitting brady regardless of every hit turning into an ejection lol get Brady to retire already

11. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    He's played great during the stretch but still worried about Coty. Sucks Burns probably regressed even more during this blowout. So it all comes down to Coty and Sutton. Brady and Brees are probably going to pick on him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Agree with all that the defense is finally getting it done. Our weakness now on defense is:

1. Sensabaugh is better now than Burns, however he still our weak link and
    always slightly behind and giving up too much space. But he is not getting penalized every other play, just wish we could have someone who plays tighter coverage.

2. We are much better when our linebackers are not in coverage, I get we want to change things up some I think we do this too much. I do like that we bring Fort in on passing downs and that helps some. That's is the best we got since the Shazier injury.

This defense may be enough to take us to the Super Bowl as long as we play lights out on offense and keep outscoring teams. Kudos to Randy Fitchner, Munchak keep up the good work.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. TheMatrixHasYou

TheMatrixHasYou Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2018
    Exactly. Our defense has to get pressure because our secondary is not very good. That's just not going to work against every team. The Panthers OL got worked over and Cam maybe held onto the ball a bit too long at times.

14. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    If there is one thing that Vince Williams has proven he can do it is take advantage of a RB in pass protection.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    What really has caught my eye is the tackling. It gets much better each game in my opinion. As for Brady, you aren't going to confuse him at this stage of his career. You have to straight up punch him in the mouth and be willing to accept he is going to make some plays. We can score with anyone (so far), so I like are chances in any game this year!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  16. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    I cant speak on anything until we prove we can beat NE. We ended 2016 winning 7 straight and won I straight last yr before ne.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Presumably this means you’re not watching any further Steeler games until we play the Pats?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    What games are people watching that they think the secondary hasn't been playing well?

Since Atlanta, nobody has abused them. Of course a pass rush helps, show me a team that can cover all day in todays league.

The last 4 games the Steelers are one of the best defenses and they seem to keep improving.

After they shut down the Jags and stuff Fournette and get that test out of the way it will be yeah but now lets see them do it against Brady and Breese. As if those guys dont carve up everyone.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Again, it's Watt up front, Hilton cntr, and Haden in the back that's the foundation of our D. When Watt is stepping it up on the QBs the rest follow. Watt has that Lambert in him that teams have to contend with opening holes up for others and providing our CBs an advantage w/ Haden-Hilton tight in cover

Even in games where we don't see Watt sacks he's still always around. He's been huge for us.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Even the pessimist that I am can see the strides this D is making. Pressure last night was excellent and guys are really running to the ball. Which is helping our tackling immensely. The key to beating the likes of NE and NO will be having the ability to adjust on the fly and give them multiple looks. Those QBs will figure any D out so you have to keep them guessing. Like many have said the pressure up the middle is big and with Brady and Brees not being very mobile will also allow our OLBs to crash with a little more reckless abandon.
    Watt and Dupree were outstanding last night. I don't know what Dupree has picked up on the last few games but his get off has been outstanding and it's making a huge difference in his pass rush. If he can continue to get that timing down,it's a game changer....

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Agree. When Watt is flying around it seems the rest of the D feeds off it. He brings that intensity that's contagious.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Not saying that. Of course I'll watch I'm just saying this is just a repeat of the last few years if we cant beat NE. I watch all NFL games I love the sport to death.

23. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    To quote the great rapper MC Hammer, "to legit to quit."

Can't wait for him and Pittsburgh's own Wiz Kalifa with back up raps by Le'von Bell to re-mix the Super Bowl Shuffle done by the 84 Chicago Bears.

Dis-claimer: Not sure if any of above is right. Going by memory and could give a **** to look it up on Google.

24. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Have nothing to back up the following statement but we are beating Tommy Bratty this year and if we have to face them twice we are beating them twice. It is not just a feeling strong statement after last nights moral boost, I said in August if the Steelers have an 8-8 season one of those W will be against Bratty and Billafcuk. It is time for payback and Bratty will be on ass during the game.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I do think we beat them this year but I'm holding out hope.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1