1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Artie Burns future

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by BK99, Nov 9, 2018.

1. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I'm willing to bet that Artie Burns will not be on the roster next season. In fact I'm going to guess he gets dealt to another team for a 5th or 6th round pick in 2020 either before camp starts or during training camp, he is done.

2. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Two plays in garbage time. 1 and 4

12644947_453711714823646_2238650958062997905_n.jpg

3. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I still see an Ike Taylor type career path for him.

It’s like he forgot how to play cornerback or something. There’s technique problems and then there’s total failure to play position.

He’s obviously never done what he’s doing now or he’d have never been drafted!

The kid has talent don’t know what happened.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Right now it's all pretty much in his head and if he doesn't shake that off his career will be very short

5. Bob in Canada

Bob in Canada Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2018
    Seems to me his confidence is shattered. A change of scenary may just be what we needs to turn his career around.

6. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

Apple was just traded for a 4th(2019) and a 7th(2020) to think anyone is giving up a pick for burnt/opps Burns is optimistic imo.

7. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Burns looks like he is giving up. Like some said no confidence. Kinda feel bad for him

8. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    He was drafted way too high, even his college tape isn't very good. He was a Dupree type pick, he has all the physical gifts and athletic ability to spare. The Steelers thought they would be able to coach him up but he just doesn't have the football acumen it takes to be truly good at the position.

He seemed to be ok during the first part of his rookie season but if you look back you'll see that he started giving up long TD passes. Teams noticed his tendencies to guess routes in order to jump them and they began taking advantage of this flaw and he started looking like the rookie he was.

His second season went to crap almost immediately and it started becoming evident that he lacked technique as well as the I.Q. at the position. I feel for the guy but when you watch other CBs play the position and then watch Artie it becomes evident that he just isn't an NFL caliber DB.

Sensabaugh didn't defend a single pass his way, he is a "trash heap" player but he commits fewer PI penalties and he mostly keeps the play in front of him, far from good but it is telling that it took a 38 point lead before Burns was allowed back on the field.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    At this point there’s no reason to keep pilling on the guy. He’s been demoted and I’m sure the coaching staff is working with him.
    I think he still has a chance to turn it around. If he don’t, he don’t.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I'm not giving up on him yet. Too may times I have seen players turn it around. Not saying he should be a starter by any means but he has the physical tool be be very good. I think it's all just in his head right now. Anybody see Bud Dupree's game yesterday? Everyone was saying he's a bust and he looked outstanding last night.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I was a huge fan of his, as a person, taking care of his siblings...... He had the tools and enough plays on tape to warrant being a high draft pick... But not in rd 1...

Instead of getting better he's gotten worse. That's a coaching issue And a learning/confidence issue.

He's done here. Hopefully a change of teams saves his career.

Cajun

12. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and say that PI was flukish. He seemed to play it well and had his body in the right position (actually had the guy covered and looking back at the QB, which most of the CB don't). He then just got tripped up a bit and it went to hell from there...

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I just hope there isn't anything behind the scenes, demons in the closet, whatever, that is responsible for his regression. His performance doesn't compute and isn't natural or normal which has me suspicious.

14. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  15. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Actually, Sensabaugh did defend one pass thrown in his direction last night. He's below average, but he doesn't give up as many big plays as Burns.

Burns was definitely a bad choice. They should have either paid the price to move up or drafted some other position. You are correct in pointing out that he really wasn't that good in college.

16. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    That's how it looked to me too. He was in good position and even turned to look for the ball but stumbled and fell into the receiver. The fact that he was even trying to look for the ball seems like progress to me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    He's the Tyler glasnow of cornerbacks

18. TomlinSux

TomlinSux Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    That is funny as hell, but spot on! Maybe he’s been getting tips from Ike.

19. ST-ILL-ERS FAN

ST-ILL-ERS FAN Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    ...not only looking back at the ball, but also being in position to make a play. Typically hes 3 or 4 steps behind. I thought they could have waived the flag, personally.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    All he had to do last night was turn around and intercept the ball.
    But no, he had to lose control of his body and commit the first penalty of the night.

21. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    It's like Cortez Allen all over again. But he wasn't a first-round pick. Burns just fell off the map. I honestly did not see this coming with him. Hopefully he can turn it around.

22. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    to me it seems he's just a bad player, lost confidence or not he was never that good to begin with. even in college

23. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Yep the coaches won't give up on him until he is no longer a Steelers. There were times Burns played well. Dupree appears to be getting better. Let's pull for Burns to get better.

Nothing can be done about the past at this point.

• Like Like x 1
  24. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I liked the fire the Carolina rookie CB Jackson showed after he got beat by AB84 on that TD. I'm not a fan of the Gatorade cooler toss, but that kind of outburst was acceptable to me. I like that reaction better to Burns' "it is what it is" approach.

We need good CBs so I hope he pulls it together next year. This year he is damaged goods. I'm pessimistic, but if it continues this way he's a final roster cut next year.

25. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I’m not giving up on Artie, I think he can right the ship.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1