1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Defense Legit

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Thats a real good offense they just destroyed. They've been ballin since the Falcons game.

I'm feeling good about this teams chances now :steelflag:

• Agree Agree x 6
  2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Our offense is our best defense. Score and hit the qb

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. dd63

dd63 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2017
    I agree it was a great win, however, let's see what they do against Fournette, a back who mauled them last year on two occasions. If they limit him, and the Jags D, I may start to believe this team is for real.

4. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Those 2 scoring drives that the Panthers had concern me.

But keep pressuring like that and all is good

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Yea they can look nasty for a couple drives then just give up an easy td drive they did the first one. still looked good tho

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I think you can chalk that one up to a running QB and RPO and the defense being to worried about that. Both Watt and Dupree were in teh backfield looking at Cam as he handed off to McCaffery and he had long gains. Stationary QB and its a different beast all together.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    If our offense performs... our defense is allowed some lapses like that

8. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    They are great when they get pressure. When they don't..not so much.

I am very encouraged by what I've seen though, especially from Dupree and Bostic. Better tackling overall too.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 5
  9. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    5 game winning streak

35 ppg with 18 ppg allowed.

Pretty good

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
  10. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I mean. If they only score twice we will win a ton of games...

11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    You're not going to shut down any offense in todays league. Theres going to be lapses, its just too hard to stop offenses now.

Can't really ask for any more from a defense than what the Steelers gave tonight.

If I had one complaint, it would be the blown assignment on McCaffrey. That can't happen. If you get beat, fine but you just can't not cover a guy.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I still don't trust the D. But if the O can score early and often and make the other team one dimensional...they got a shot. Lets see how they handle Brady and Brees

HACK

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    I think jumping out to the huge lead made them get away from the RPO. That first drive was pretty dam easy for Carolina.. Kinda funny that when it was 52-14 that Carolina actually led the game 7-0

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Score 50 points a game from here on out and we win the Super Bowl, LOL.

Jax ain`t what they used to be so expecting a win. However, I remember how poorly we match up against them man to man. Hoping for easy win, but probably win a squeaker.

15. Bob in Canada

Bob in Canada Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2018
    I expected McCaffrey to get his and his probably the most explosive RB we are going to see all year.

You are right that the blown coverage is unacceptable.

I loved how KB took advantage of McCaffrey in pass protection though. He didn't stand a chance.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2017
    They only have to be average and not a huge liability with our offense and the last five games they have been better than average.Huge tests ahead of them for the rest of the year but hopefully they can hold their own.Just as long as Burns isn’t playing is a plus for them.Not totally convinced yet but hopefully they can limit the damage against Brady, Brees, Rivers and a healthy Fournette.

17. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Would love to see these kind of hits on Marsha..We never do...Smash him a few times and then well see what happens

18. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I think we matched up against Carolina quite well. Teams that I think we will struggle against is KC, NO and the Rams. Those teams will truly test our secondary.

I like our odds better vs NE than I do NO .

19. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    This. Watch any NFL defense this season and you will see lapses.

I understand that people don't want to get carried away, especially given the inconsistencies of the past, but sometimes we need to say "good job", rather than picking on one drive or doing the whole "well, let's see them do that against X, Y and Z..."

You have to beat the team in front of you. Many people had this game as a difficult one, and we basically crushed them.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    15 yard penalty, 15 yard penalty, 15 yard penalty... :smiley1:

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    The Offensive fire power afforded the defense to pin their ears back and attack. Both OLB'ers were disruptive sans a few gaffs from Dupree but he played fast. Keeping Burns off the field has helped this secondary. Still concerned about Sensabaugh but at least he is an upgrade over Burns at this point. And the D Line played a very solid game and Cam was on fire. The defense is improving and it was exciting to see the defense of old in that tilt last night.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think our defense is good enough if the offense can consistently produce. We a couple of great players (Heyward, Watt) and a bunch of good players in the front 7. The front 7 is very legit. On the back end, well, let’s just say that Haden and Hilton need to stay healthy.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

This is true, if we hit Marsha like we hit Cam last night there will be a whole lot more penalties.

As for our defense being legit, my hat is off to them. The keep improving and as much as we all don't want to admit, Dupree has played a ton better. TJ is a freakin beast and the Cam/Tuitt duo has turned it up. I have been a guy who always said pressure pressure pressure and we are seeing what happens when we bring it. I think a lot of our problems have been the play calling and only rushing 2-3 guys and dropping guys like Gravedigger in coverage.

All and all we are on the right track with this unit. However I will say if our offense keeps converting on 3rd down like they have been watch out cause that is also helping this unit.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Bob in Canada

Bob in Canada Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2018
    Against Tommy Boy they are going to need disguise their blitzes to keep him confused. He is to good at finding an out somewhere.

25. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

Your right but rushing 2-3 guys is not the way either......you know like we have done in the past. lol