1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Race for the # 1 or # 2 seed...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel_ben7, Nov 9, 2018.

1. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    It’s going to be hard to catch the Chiefs seeing that they own the head to head tiebreaker over the Steelers, but they still have tough games with the Rams in Mexico, at Seattle, and at home against the Chargers. They also have the Ravens at home which might be a tough game and a definite must win for the Ravens. The problem is their other 3 games are against the Raiders twice and the Cardinals this week.

The Patriots schedule features road games at Tennessee this Sunday, at Miami which is always tough for the Patriots, at the Jets and at the Steelers of course. Their 3 home games remaining are against the Vikings which should be a tough game and a game they could possibly lose and home games against the Bills and Jets which they definitely won’t lose. So the way I see it looking at both the Pats and Chiefs schedules the Steelers can maybe lose one more game if even that and it can’t be to the Patriots if they hope to get at least a number 2 seed.

I’ll be honest I don’t see too many losses coming up on the Steelers schedule before the Patriots and Saints games. The Steelers should win at Jacksonville and at Denver back to back weeks, should beat the Chargers at home who remind me a lot like Carolina last night, and of course at Oakland. That should get them to 10-2-1 going into the Pats game December 16th. If the Steelers win out until then and then beat the Pats and the Pats lose just one game to either the Titans,Jets,Vikings, or Dolphins the Steelers could lose the game in New Orleans and as long as they beat the Bengals the last week of the season they will get at very worst the number 2 seed. So hope you followed that. It’s a lot that has to happen but it’s definitely possible.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    There's way too much guessing to put any emotion into that thought. Playing in mile high isn't easy. The Pats and Saints are very tough teams. The Chargers are going to be tough as well. It will be a fun few weeks seeing how we match up against the truly top teams in the league. Carolina is good, but they're not at the level of the Pats or Saints. Kind of reminds me of 2008 when we had just a brutal schedule.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Making the playoffs alone is tough lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. steel_ben7

Nov 16, 2015
    Well if you’re going to be considered a legit Super Bowl team you absolutely have to win games at Jacksonville, at Denver, the Chargers at home, and at Oakland. If the Steelers continue to play like they have been there is no reason they should not be 10-2-1 going into the Pats game. If they want a bye week they are gonna have too. I see no way the Steelers lose yet again to the Jags down in Jacksonville next Sunday. That is going to be the ultimate revenge game and the way the Jags are playing right now there is no way I see them beating the Steelers 3 games in a row.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I just don't see the Steelers getting a bye. The remaining schedule is too difficult and the Patriots and Chiefs are playing too well.

Getting Conner healthy will be a key. They become a lot easier to defend if that concussion keeps him out for a while.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    The Steelers having a tied game in their record makes it unlikely that Chiefs head-to-head tiebreaker will come up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    More and more, I think we are better without the bye. This team, particularly Ben, doesn’t play well with too much time off.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  8. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Excited I am after last nights awesome win but also realistic and I still think our chance to win division and make playoffs comes down to week 17 game against Bengals.

9. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    But, the Real Steels and Mustards of the world already decided the Steelers wouldn't win more than 9 games! 1 or 2 seed???

10. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Steelers would be better off with the 3 seed. The bye would be a definite one and done.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    agree with heinz and jeh, no need for a bye. Get us hot and healthy... I feel good about beating KC in KC as our defense plays better on the road. Just need a running game.

Beating NE during the regular season is great and all but beating them twice this season? yeah not gonna happen lol.

or maybe it will :O

12. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    We are in a great situation. Steelers have the W secured with a beat down of Panthers, the Bungles have Saints, Stains get FailCons, and Rats are idle. This could be a weekend all others lose/ no change as we tack on another win. Plus, lots of time to heal up and get payback in Jax. Hoping ex-Steeler Dumb Bell stays away and keeps the current chemistry unaltered. On to Jax for #7.

13. tyler christopher

tyler christopher Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2016
    They might lose that game to bengals cause they will be sitting ben connor and brown cause they will have clinched the week before..........

• Like Like x 1
  14. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Whenever I see a schedule laid out of each teams remaining schedule it sickens me that NE plays in such a ridiculously weak division. Its like they get a 5-1 head start every freakin year.

I can't even remember when any of the Dolphins, Bills or Jets were actually competitive unless I go back to the Marino, Kelly or Namath era's.

In Brady's entire career he has never had what would be considered a top five toughest schedule.

Our best hope is as always if someone else knocks off NE I like our chances against everyone else even KC.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Given the choice between only having to play 2 games to get to the Super Bowl or 3, I will pick 2 every time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Careful. You may be mistaken for a Patriots fan.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  17. steel_ben7

Nov 16, 2015
    Yea they are gonna have this division sealed up way before that last game. If they are playing any starters in that last game it will be because they are still trying to get a 1 or 2 seed. It will have nothing to do with still trying to clinch a playoff spot or the AFC North.

18. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Hey in no way am I a Pats fan I have been a die hard Steeler fan since Mean Joe was a rookie . I just think their system of dink and dunk crossing and rub routes is difficult for us without press corners and more speed at ILB.

IF WE GET PRESSURE LIKE LAST NIGHT THAN ITS A DIFFERENT GAME

My comment was to point out by the time we get to the playoffs we are usually beat up from playing tougher schedules. I know the NFL adjust the schedule by your previous record but with three weak sisters in their division it is never a tough schedule.

19. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    As long as the Steelers beat the chargers they prob get the 3 seed.. Chiefs already have the head to head over them and if they beat the pats u know the worst they'll finish is 12-4 so the Steelers would have to go 12-3-1.. Think they get the 3 spot

20. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    lev bell will come in and save the day. :smiley1::cool:

21. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Your memory is failing you. The Jets knocked the Patriots out of the playoffs and made the AFC Championship in 2010.

Your overall point, however, is absolutely correct. Playing in the AFC East has been a significant advantage for New England.

22. WinTheNorth

WinTheNorth Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Wait... did eeyore crack a joke?

:drinks:

• Like Like x 1
  23. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    The head-to-head tie-breaker or any other tie-breakers wont come into play unless these other teams post a tie on their records.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Yea I'm pretty much saying Steelers have no chance at the 1 seed because the chiefs would have to lose a few games while the Steelers don't lose any and I don't see the chiefs being in the position to even tie the Steelers record

25. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    I feel the same. I don't care about "needing" to beat the Patriots during the playoffs. (NE will have the advantage against any single team they go up against. The key is they aren't favorites against the entire field.)