1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The big difference in this game

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blackandgoldpatrol, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Getting the ball from center with a broken finger isnt conducive to a clean snap, fumbles can occur and probably will from the exchange....

2. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    But what about last year, and the games before his broken finger this year?

3. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Your right he was in the shotgun most of the time in 2017 but so wasnt brady, brady was in the shotgun 425 times in 581 attempts , ben was in the shotgun 503 times in 561 attempts, neither of them are mobile QBs and that has lot to do with it in my opinion...

• Like Like x 1
  4. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I was fine with the Ben punt except I wanted to go for it. I suspect they put Ben out there and had a play for him to run to go for the first down with the understanding that if the defense wasn't right for the play then Ben should punt. If that is the case then I am definitely fine with the punt. I am also fine with the play calling at the end of the first half. If the players had executed properly they would have had a chance for a drive and a score. It was piss poor execution that caused the almost turnovers.

5. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    As far as Ben`s punt goes, what was the thinking behind it, what was the goal? Can Ben really punt that good? Can he pin the Ratbirds behind the 10 yard line with no run back easier than the punter could in that situation? Then there is the risk of the play itself. Ben can`t tell if he might get the kick blocked because he is not used to doing it frequently like a punter. Risks also include Ben getting hurt, lousy kick, etc. Where is the potential reward for that risk? I don`t see it. The only unique situation is if the QB has a big leg and say a 60 yard kick and roll was possible. That potential was not possible because of where we were on the field.

As far as dink and dunk with less than a minute to play. Though less stupid than the prior discussed decision, this was still poor risk reward. Get clean plays off for real yardage, not throwing into crowds where the ball can get tipped up and picked. Also, consider game situation. Ratbird offense was a basket case. They needed a defensive play to stay in the game and we almost handed it to them. Low risk passing was called for there. I am not complaining about trying, but HOW we tried.

6. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I think the point is that Ben can run a play if he thinks it will work and punt if he thinks it won't. It took a great okay by Weddell to keep the ball from likely being downed around the ten. It isn't something I want Ben doing all the time but it isn't some crazy play with no upside.

• Agree Agree x 1