1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The big difference in this game

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blackandgoldpatrol, Nov 4, 2018.

1. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Was ben's broken finger...... because of the finger, the offense was forced to operate out of the shotgun the entire game...
    This forced the Baltimore defense to respect the possibility of a downfield pass everytime the ball was snapped, which opened running lanes for connor and left the middle mostly open for intermediate and underneath throws that were mostly open ... I wouldn't be surprised to see other teams attack the ravens the same way the rest of the season

2. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I think the O-Line was more responsible for opening lanes for Conner than Ben’s broken finger

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    3rd down. Steelers had more 3rd down conversions on the 1st drive, than they did the entire meeting 1st meeting. That was the major difference.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    OL & DL have got to continue to play well. Steeler season is predicated from these
    2 positions.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    This right here hold cow I can't remember the last time we were this good on 3rd down. Maybe it was cause it was the Ratbirds but wow converting on 3rd down was big time yesterday.

6. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Honestly we should be one of the better third down teams in the league. With our variety of weapons,a dominant Oline and a veteran franchise QB. The improvement I feel has been because our play calling is taking advantage of those factors with a more high percentage approach. I definitely do not miss the throw it deep approach. Short yardage running effectiveness and the QB sneaks(finally) just add to our options and that helps keep the D off balance and guessing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Remahlehs

Remahlehs Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2018
    It was refreshing to see Ben take what the defense gave him. Throwing slants and crossing patterns on 3rd down instead of trying to go deep was a major key to yesterday's meeting.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Defense stepped up as well. Not where they need to be (penalties) but seem to be improving each week. Showed some real speed to the ball. On to Carolina and to break Cams back.

9. Mr.HammerZz

Mr.HammerZz Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2018
    It ALL STARTS UP FRONT! :drinks::herewego!:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    Nope! This is the 2nd biggest difference. Artie Burns being on the bench was the biggest difference.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i think the big difference is the way we are spreading the ball around. i have been preaching for the TE's and conner out of the backfield the last couple of weeks and it's like someone is listening. these two things as well as our o-lines play has made a world of difference. ben is getting comfortable with this and AB is seeing the light as far as him being less a super star and more a tool to make this offense better. we have many go to answers right now and it puts pressure on defenses. i do believe randy has had some input in all of this. most called him bens buddy and figured ben would do what he wants but that does and doesnt seem to be the case. he has shown ben this does work and moving the ball around gives us so much more of a balance. i think bell being out actually helped the offense and ben get to this point. it also allowed randy to show ben the magic. :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  12. WinTheNorth

WinTheNorth Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    And we must loose no more games

Sorry couldn't resist :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. WinTheNorth

WinTheNorth Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Dunno about that... Would like to see a stat for conversions above and below five yards.

Was making me crazy yesterday when we consistently ran on first and second. Sure JC had a good day but it seems we are often in unmanageable 3rd down situations (not just today) where it requires some clutch play from BB and one of the receivers.

14. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Fichts-magic!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Uhhh, Ben hasn't been going under center for awhile now. He threw 503 of his 561 passes last year from shotgun. He lead the league in attempts from shotgun.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Overcoming some really poor officiating was also a factor in the win.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Why is that?

18. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    What I did not like about the game is we should have beaten them easily, not just by one score. We should have scored more. They were near horrible.

I hate how we are the most penalized team. I hate stupid decisions, like letting Ben punting....EVER. Stupid decisions like that, calling plays that have risk with little chance of reward. Ben`s punt is one. The other was what we did with less than one minute in the 1st half. We called dink and dunk plays that had little chance of good yardage, yet have risk of turnover and we nearly did turn it over. The call there is to throw for big yardage if open or throw away and then punt if unsuccessful.

The drop by Vance on the TE screen really ticked me off. Looked like he had room to run if he caught it and we probably score instead of punting.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    It's just the way the league is going. Quick passes and getting the ball to the QB quicker with 3 extra yards from defense.

20. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011

I stand corrected

21. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Yes we should be but have not been and even this year it has been shaky. As for the play calling being the difference I don't know about that cause we don't know what was called and what Ben actually ran.

22. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Maybe play design is a better word. You can clearly see much better,simpler and effective plays being used...

23. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I don't buy it, not gonna blame it all on Haley I think the fact that him and Ben didn't see eye to eye played a big part.

24. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    You don't see better designed plays? I certainly do....

25. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    It is because of the bubble screen!