1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers,Bell hungup over exemption

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelcityclash, Oct 22, 2018.

1. steelcityclash

steelcityclash Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2018
    Rumor has it Bells agent has approached the Steelers and is trying to negotiate a 2 week exemption in order for him to return. Point of contention is the Steelers don’t want to pay him for those two weeks which might be why he failed to report this past Monday.

Not sure if this type of thing is considered “normal practice” and is reasonable for an agent to try to negotiate this, but clearly Bell is playing his last hand...his back is against the wall and as week ten approaches he’s trying everything to 1) not be traded 2) save face by recent quotes of wanting to stay a Steeler...probably to butter the team up before this request 3) Get paid without having to step on the field 4) to make sure he’s in top notch form before showcasing his abilities for his future team.

It’s Bell’s right to sit out, the Steelers tried to call his bluff and Le’Veon stayed true to his word... I can live with that but after all this, It really rubs me the wrong way that his agent has the berries to dictate when we use him once he signs the tag! Maybe it’s just me but it sounds asinine to take the approach of strong arming the Steelers when his return is inevitable and when the situation he’s in is his own undoing. Not to mention, the team is now showing signs of life and Conner has produced well in his absence .... Seriously, I can’t believe they’re playing this like they have leverage...Crazy! Thoughts?

http://nfltraderumors.co/leveon-bell-more-likely-to-return-to-steelers-for-week-9/

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    The Steelers are just trying to help Bell by not giving him all those pesky touches he and his agent were worried about.

HACK

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    One thing Bell has not been is true to his word.

• Agree Agree x 7
  4. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Who is this Bell guy that I keep seeing threads about??

• Like Like x 3
  5. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Yawn.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I keep hearing talk about Bell wanting to be paid for weeks that he sat out. There is absolutely no way the Steelers should give in on that one. He gets paid for his time with the team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Based on past experience, I'd want a 2 week roster exemption too..... kinda hard to justify an $855k weekly paycheck for his first 2 games of 2017..... so what makes him think it'll be different this year.

Bell averaged 3.2ypc vs Cleveland and Minn..... he needs a couple weeks to catch up in the film room and at this point.... pass a physical & drug test.

8. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    His agent is an asshat

• Agree Agree x 8
  9. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    They're mostly lawyers, so I'm guessing that doesn't make him unique.

• Like Like x 1
  10. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Bell has no leverage at all here. I can not see any scenario where the Steelers pay Bell for the 2 week roster exemption. Bell and his agent have cost themselves millions.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Timbrr

Timbrr Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    You want to get paid Belll....get off your dead A$$ and go to work like the rest of us do..

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Bell has to agree to not being paid for the roster exemption. But his only recourse is to not sign the tag. In that event, the Steelers could tag him again next year at the same $14+ mm.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Yep.

Chances are they will too. For that matter, I would rather offer him a tender for a first round pick at that. Then again, much of that will be based on what he does on the field this season; him actually being there being the assumption here.

14. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I was going to go to work today, but decided to sit out til my boss gives me a guaranteed salary. If I get hurt or my productivity declines I need to be set for life.

• Like Like x 1
  15. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Management probably wants to set a precedent in case this happens again that if you get tagged, you have to live with it. Sit out and what happened to Bell happens to you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
  17. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Me : " Hey, I won't be in for a few weeks, But I still want payed..If that's ok "

My Employer : " Absolutely, You just let us know when you're ready to come back to work "

18. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Looks like someone ran out of money.

19. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    this guy and his agent can go both **** themselves.. he says he's coming.. doesn't show up.. says he's coming.. doesn't show up... repeat. just **** off already

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  20. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I hope when he comes back we run the ball with him
    Every offensive play and pass to him on 4th down and if he evens thinks about opening the pie hole suspend his azz without pay for the rest of year year and franchise him
    Again next year.

• Like Like x 1
  21. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    If I missed this being said I am sorry but there was a report that Bell won't sign his tender until after the trade deadline. If that is true I have to scratch my head as to what is going on, I mean what is the purpose of sitting out? The Steelers can't give him a long term contract and he don't want to be trade then sign the tag and play ball...........WTF!!!!!

22. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    So the guy who 'wants paid' blew off $7-8 mil so the team he wants to leave from as a free agent won't be able to trade him? I'm guessing Lev Bell didn't major in Logic at Mich St.

23. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    It seems like he's just out to screw the Steelers as badly as he can at this point. In his selfish, deluded mind, the team is at fault for all of this. The team didn't give him what he wanted, so it is the Steelers' who cost him most of this season, taking a year away from his career.

He'll report only when he has to for this season to count toward free agency.

I see absolutely no reason to believe he's going to put in the work to be great after he gets his money. He thinks he can just show up and dominate and that he needs to focus on preserving his body to play longer at the expense of the present and that attitude is going to lead to his next team getting very disappointing results. It may not happen in the first year of his next contract, but it's going to happen.

24. 69-2now

69-2now Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2017
    Just be done with this $hit, let him walk...

25. SteelerfnVA

SteelerfnVA Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Pull the tag save the cap and spend next year. Bell is a joke, you can not believe what he is saying. " Ill retire if they tag me again", "Steelers nation 2018 will be my best season to date", "lll be there week 1". You cant trust him, again Id wait till the last possible minute and pull the tag, let him sign with another team and worry about getting hurt playing the last 8 games with someone else.