1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Diverse Offense

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by bigbenhotness, Oct 18, 2018.

1. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Just want to say while we don't have the #1 RB and #1 WR in stats right now like we usually do, James conner is #5 in yards, juju is #5 and brown #15(crazy huh) and Vance/Jesse are both tied for #9th in yards, only team with 2 TE's in top 10.

this TE focused with running attack is pretty good. I feel AB internally exploding soon though lol

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Offense boomin and won't use a 1st on a glaring need and all pro at a position we have failed to draft/develop for a decade.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    The biggest issue with the offense floundering in the losing games against Chiefs and Ravens, was Ben trying to force it to AB... with either an INT or 3 and out as a result. With Fincter, the offense is more versatile and less predictable. So far, the new OC is an upgrade over Haley.

I'm sure we haven't heard the last of AB's whining. I don't ever see Gronkowski whining when he gets 1 catch for 15 yards in an entire game.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 3
  4. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    sad but true. AB wants the ball. Ben knows it. Defenses know it. If he would accept being an afterthought, this offense would explode.

He can't handle it though lol

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Just because AB wants the ball, does that have to mean he is whining? I think he is a great play-maker that believes he can change the course of the game every time he touches the ball. He has good reason to believe this as he does have that potential. I choose to believe it is passion and not complaining. I'm sure I could be wrong. I've never sat down and had a one on one with him. I do agree with all my heart that Ben is trying to force AB's touches, but I'm hoping he sees this isn't going to work. Hell, I see it and I'm not the one throwing the ball!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Have any of you watched OBJ the last couple years...AB should be perceived as a Saint compared to him...Of course if Eli was my QB, I'd probably throw tantrums too

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Still though, look how many game clinchers AB has done for us. Cincy game, Ravens game 2016, GB game 2017... Ravens playoffs 2010...

8. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Did you ever think it was more on Ben forcing it to his security blanket then Brown whining?

9. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Brown needs the ball, biggest TD threat on the team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    conner and ab

11. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    When AB is double and triple teamed Ben needs to find his other options, or throw the ball away.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Yeah, that was kind of the point of my whole post. Like where I started it with asking if AB was whining or just being passionate. In my opinion AB is only being passionate, and there is nothing wrong with that!

13. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Although a somewhat misleading stat, you failed to mention that BB is NFL #1 in passing yards at this point. It's been pointed out that the Steeler's record is measurably better when BB throws under 300 yds. All these stats though will get muddled now with teams rotating their Bye weeks for the next month or so.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    We don't have the stout defenses like the early years to bail him lol.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    So what you're saying is that before it was out of desperation to throw so much but now it's a necessity. Good point. The irony is BB's doing this without the benefit of the long bomb, it's mainly the YAC contributed by a talented multitude of receivers including Conners.

The D demise started with the departure of Big Snack and continued when Farrier, Smith, and Troy hung up the cleats. They were all so individually and collectively good that they didn't need super stars at the other D positions to make it work as a unit. Shazier was a good new beginning but even he wasn't consistently healthy enough to depend on or build around.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I thought we had a good D with Timmons and Shazier in the middle.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Granted both were very good but not enough to offset a marginal secondary and still not enough to cover tight ends consistently. Until the last two games, synergy is what this D lacked. Hints of an emergence though with the recent effective bull rushes up the gut. Guarded optimism. :beg:

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    question. Do you think the 2008 defense with butler and todays rules would do as good? I don't think so lol.

better than our current squad though

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I have no idea but the only thing that truly matters is - Does Butler read the Night Before Christmas as sincerely and effectively as (Bad Word) Lebeau did? :roflmao:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    That’s pretty funny lol

21. nor

nor Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2016

this offense would explode if there weren't so many penalties. Here are three plays near the goal line. One a TD called back, one a close-to-TD called back and one get-out-from-under-our-own-goal line play. Hurts. IMG_3206.JPG IMG_3217.JPG IMG_3501.JPG

• Like Like x 1