1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

This is why the Pens taking over the city and went back to back

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, Oct 18, 2018.

1. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    They realized they had their core and made aggressive trades to win now!!! Traded a 1st for Kessel. Trades for Horny, Bonino, Hags, Brass, Reaves, Schultz, etc.

Top 5 QB. #1 WR and #1 RB for half a season and best 1-2 RB combo. Ben is almost done. Pouncey is probably gone when he is. Good luck finding another all pro center. Villanueva is up there, I didn't know he was 30. He might peace with both of them. Foster is done soon. There goes that Top 5 o-line.

Meanwhile the Steelers sit on their hands instead of filling a need with an all pro player. To draft another Jones, Dupree, or Burns.

They actually have the cap space, player that will yield them picks in the off-season, bye week to get him, and it won't happen. It makes too much sense. Maybe the league is involved and blocking it so they can hand the Patriots another Championship. I don't know but I know the Steelers aren't in it to win it and aren't winning a Championship.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I am hating life that the Steelers are feeling complacent, while Patriots and Dallas are looming about to tie us, and maybe eventually surpass us.

Dallas built a D, and Patriots never go the eff away.

The standard is the standard, we do what we do, and we will not live in our fears.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  3. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    OL is a definite need across the board. Steelers are going to need to revamp the left side... T, G and C. DeCastro and Gilbert have anywhere from 4-5 more productive years, IMO. I think DeCastro will play as long as Faneca did.

4. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    O-line. QB. Potentially WR, AB won't be putting up stats without those and want out. What are they doing?? Only two positions they will use a 1st next draft is LB or DB. Lets say by some stroke of luck they actually hit. Not going to help for 2-3 years. Watt is the only one of the last 6 who helped right away.

Forgot to mention, Cardinals are one of the organizations they have a great relationship with if not the best.

5. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    The NFL is a different animal from the NHL . Blockbuster trades are common in the NHL, but they're rare in the NFL.

It takes two to trade . If there's no willing partner, what would you like the Steelers to do?

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    He's been on the trading block for a week...

7. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I don't think the O-line will be a catastrophe when Pouncey retires. Good centers can be found in rounds 3-5. Steelers don't need to burn a 1st rounder on one like they did with Pouncey... unless it's a sure-shot, blue-chip, no-brainer, like picking DeCastro when he fell to us in '12 draft.

8. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    No doubt. I'm just saying when Ben is gone so is half the o-line. The time to win is now. Make the move. I see the Cardinals play tonight. I know what I will be doing and hopefully they get blown out. Steelers and them will have time to talk while these other teams are busy preparing for Sunday.

9. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Their owner said Peterson ain't going nowhere... I don't see it happening

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    How do you know, because the internet told you so? If it was as easy as just going out and getting him without giving up too much, then I'm sure they would. Remember, if he's on the block, then every other team in the league is bidding on him too .

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    He finally said this week when they play on Thursday night. He didn't say anything for days when there was speculation.

Three rumored teams. Steelers, Cowboys, and Saints. If Steelers can't get a trade done with the Cardinals over those teams then there's no team.

12. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Just be happy the Steelers don't run the team like the Pirates.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011

14. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    The Steelers find ways to field competitive teams. Loading up doesn't guarantee a Super Bowl win. Loading up in the hopes of winning one Super Bowl is no way to run a franchise. Loading up also isn't a way to sustain the long term success the Steelers have had over the years. Some fans or should I say non fans love to be drama queens.

15. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
  16. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    The thing is we have been 50/50 on defensive 1st rounders. Had shaz not been injured I would feel better. That injury pretty much put our SB window on life support.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Cardinals get embarrassed in prime time... Steelers have a bye and can be whispering sweet nothings from last night until next Sunday. If this doesn't happen I've lost hope in Colbert.

18. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    You have to have a player under contract..... before you can trade him. Until LB signs, it's just fun message board speculation.

19. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    The Pens also didn't see Malkin sit out for half the year, Sydney Crosby telling off coaches, and Letang and co. publicly criticize other players etc for fun hypotheticals.

A couple of other points.

1) The Steelers would be foolish to part ways with Villaneuva and/or Foster at this time. It's nice to say fire people, but at the end of the day you need someone that is as good or better to replace them. The offensive line has not been the problem this year.

2) Regarding Jones, Dupree, and Burns; it has already been covered that all of these players were considered appropriate picks at their location by the majority of scouts. Jones is the only one that you can currently label as a "bust" as he is no longer in the league. Dupree is on path to the most sacks in his career and Burns is obviously struggling at the current time as he has a history of playing better than he is currently.

So in short, I disagree with a lot here. This isn't playing Madden.

I will say that one move would have been very interesting to pull the trigger would have been a Kalil Mack trade. This guy has been a one man wrecking crew for the Bears. I can't believe Oakland was dumb enough to get rid of him.

• Like Like x 1
  20. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Nobody is talking about LB. Cardinals don't want him. They want a 1st or 2's and 3's for Peterson. The thread saying trade Bell for Peterson!! was dumb.

That's not what I said. I said Ben only has a few years left. Foster might go before him. Pouncey will probably leave when Ben does and I didn't realize how old Villaneuva is. He might leave with them as well. Top 5 QB and o-line gone. Point is the window to win is now. 1st for an all pro CB is worth it.

21. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    https://www.revengeofthebirds.com/2...d-expects-much-more-progress-from-steve-wilks

So people can stop dreaming about getting a top-tier CB for a most likely late twenties to early thirties 1st round pick. If they were actually looking to trade him, they would have wanted much much more than that.

Also the Steelers have never been one to mortgage the future for now. They've won 2 superbowls in the 2000s with this philosophy. They obviously do not believe that life is doomed after Ben retires.

22. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    What is he suppose to say before his team plays? Remember the Steelers weren't trading Bryant? You make them an offer they can refuse. Their season is done. He's the only player who could get them high draft picks. They'd be stupid not to trade him.

23. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I don't get caught up into the 50/50 nonsense. There are several factors involved regarding the draft. That's life in the league in terms of the way draft picks pan out.

One player doesn't make a team. Football is a team sport. How the team performs is what will determine if they will make it to and win the SB.

• Like Like x 1
  24. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    you're not wrong lol

25. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Okay, Tomlin....