1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

LJ Fort vs Williams

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by VTSteelerfan, Oct 12, 2018.

1. VTSteelerfan

VTSteelerfan Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2016
  2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I was hoping they would use Fort the same way they used him against the Falcons, in obvious passing downs, with Williams regaining the snaps that went to Matakevich last week. Williams just isn't an every-down player. Sadly, the team might continue to use him like one Sunday.

3. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I think Fort has some type injury.

4. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Yes ...Fort is listed as doubtful. That designation most likely means he's not playing. It will be interesting to see what happens with VW back. Communication will be something to watch.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    This injury to Fort is a huge blow for him and potentially for the Steelers D imo. Coming off a good game, you would have to think he'd play a much bigger role in this game if he was completely healthy. And if he continued his good play maybe he would over time, have overtaken VW98 in the majority of snaps. Always liked Vince but the limitations and his recent play have been highlighted this year and not in a good way. And Butler likes his same old, same old routine. So the best chance for Fort would have been to continue the trend he started vs Atlanta.
    But since he's more than likely not playing and Vince will be, it will be a much harder road for Fort to get time over VW98 imo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Fort vs Williams?

How about "Increased time for Matthew Thomas?"

Seriously, how much longer will it be until he sees significant playing time? He did see some snaps against Atlanta but that was in garbage time. Would like to see him get at least 10 snaps or so.

He has the athletic traits to play in coverage. Is he still not understanding the basics of depth in coverage or coverage fundementals overall? Something else? Not sure what the issue seems to be but Thomas has the capabilities to do something.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    It has occurred to alot of us here that when Vince was out the run stopping improved immensely. Devonta Freeman was held to 32 yds running. That's a decent running back.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I was going to say something similar.

Put the faster ILB in on obvious passing downs - whether that’s Fort or Thomas.

9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

how about both? :smiley1::cool:

10. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    If they get the communication down then I'm cool with that.

Problem is that damn green dot BS.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    fort has been here long enough to know this defense. remember they have put this thing together since butler took over so these guys have all learned it together. this is his 4th season here and has been on or around the NFL for 6 seasons. :cool:

12. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Agreed I had mentioned in another post about a Cam Heyward interview where he mentioned more guys communicating when VW was out and VW will have to get used to that. Still difficult to understand the logic or where he was coming from. It was from his interview on WDVE on October 9 if you can find it. Weird statement I would think the more guys talking the better. To a point of course....

13. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Butler's downfall.... low end rookies can't grasp the system no matter how dumbed down it is and UDFAs playing make him look (and his scouting staff) look incapable. Instead of just harnessing what is right in front of you,, KB has a tendency to focus on the vets...In my mind, the early part of the season is a perfect time to stress test the young guys....

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Totally guessing, but...perhaps there’s more to the coverage scheme than just calling a play. If guys aren’t getting sufficiently comprehensive instructions, confusion results. And with linebackers involved in coverage so much, that’s going to affect, like, 8 guys.

15. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    getting the info. seems to be half the problem....but otoh, if they don't know what to do with the info. they should be taken out for a player that does. Who are they looking to/or listening to/ to get the right play call?? This hopefully was addressed this season and besides the hemming and hawing of KB, (resulting in delays), it seems to be corrected somewhat. I think the info is getting through, but the info is bad.

KB just cant get his whole message across...