1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

James Conner

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Heck yeah. Give him the rock!

93.0%
  2. No, we'll find him in the 2019 draft

7.0%
  1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Fairness is irrelevant. The Steelers should do whatever gives them the best chance to win. If that means Bell starts, so be it. If that means Bell plays second fiddle to Conner, so be it and Bell needs to STFU about it.

2. Marko

Marko Member

Sep 6, 2018
    Conner looked very good against a losing team. He still hasn't proven himself. I honestly don't think he is the star running back of the future. Although, I have been wrong before, plenty of times. I am not worried about the next draft. I am focused on this season. I don't think that Conner can carry the load by himself. They still need to find another running back this season. They need a big power back that they can rotate in. Stevan Ridley (5 carries for 8 yards) did not get the job done last week. Ridley has got to get it going, or they need try other runners.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It probably makes sense to give Samuels the reps behind Conner this week, but I'm not confident in him doing much better. Neither guy is a great option and I think this past week showed that they really do need to give Conner a break here and there.

4. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I think Ridley is fine spelling Conner. Part of the problem is when Ridley enters the game guess what...he's getting the ball and the D knows it as well. It is what it is. Keeping Conner fresh is the biggest factor even if it means a couple of lackluster runs. At the same time a RB kinda needs to find a rythm as well and Ridley isn't gonna get that on a carry here or there. Samuels I believe is a offseason away training and getting in better shape before we can see his true potential. Still would like to see him get a chance and I think he could really catch the defense off guard if used in the passing game some...

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    2 TE sets with Bell/conner in the backfield, how do you stop that?

6. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    By daring them to throw and double-teaming the single receiver.

The real flaw in your plan is that it takes either Brown or Smith-Schuster off the field.

7. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    I’m not touting Conner as the next Payton, but ... the best part of Atlanta’s defense is, comparatively, against the run.

8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    They are terrible in all aspects right now. The injuries hit that team right up the middle, which certainly created a lot of room for Conner. I doubt it will be even close to that easy against the Bengals.

That said, he showed explosiveness on quite a few plays, often taking short gains and making them into big plays on his own. He needs to run like that every game and the line needs to give him a chance more often.

9. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    I echo your sentiments

10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    More myth busting that JC needs huge holes to run through.

• Like Like x 3
  11. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Not trying to take away from what Conner did but Atlanta was really banged up on D going in and it got worse injury wise as the game went on. Cincinnati will be a true litmus test...

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    They block the way they have before against the Bengal and use pulling guards and TE's I think it's a long day for the Bengals. If they try the 3Wr, 1 TE single back set the used against the Chiefs and Ravens could be a rough day running.

13. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Why are you using a horrible falcons team as your reference? But if somebody said he is trash because he couldn't perform against an actual credible defense like bmore it would be because"the line did bad"..

14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Wow! You're like on a mission to discredit this kid :facepalm:

You know this is a Steelers board right? It's ok to get behind the players and compliment them.

8 men in the box, I don't care how bad a team is, thats hard to run against. You're a football player, you should know this.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  16. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    It does matter who you are playing against. So if they put a defense together of 11 guys from this board and you all played cover zero every single play and stacked the box with 8 you think you would stop anyone? ATL right now is 25TH in rush defense. Bmore is FIFTH. HUGE discrepancy plus ATL defense is DECIMATED with injuries. The steelers oline this particular game vs mainly backups did an excellent job of filling their gaps. That was the difference. And I give players compliments when they deserve them. Did you see those runs saquon made last night? That's a playmaker you say hey he's doing things I've never seen almost anyone else do. I dont just blindly give credit to a guy because I so badly want to give the finger to another guy I felt like wronged my team.

17. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
  18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You just lost what little credibility you had. Did you really just use an example of non football players against a professional football team? Wow.

Why do you keep falling back on Saquon? He has nothing to do with Conner successfully running against 8 men in the box which anyone with even an inkling of football knowledge knows is tough to do.

And I didn't say peep about Bell. Focus.

19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    and conner has something to do with two of those teams rankings. you play who is on the schedule. these are still NFL teams, which are the best in the business. quite a lot of difference in touches as well for bell. he also played the bears and last years cleveland defense in his first five if you are going to pick and choose. baltimores rush defense last year was 25th, so i guess that big game by bell should have an * as well. ;):cool:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It's not about being against the Steelers for him. It's about justifying his argument that the Steelers should give Bell whatever he wants. If Conner does well, that weakens his argument. Despite his questionable grip on the conventions of English, there is some logic to how he approaches his argument. I don't agree with him, but I see the sense in the approach.

21. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I don't consider bell great because of what he did last yr. Only a fool would look at one year and think that validates a guys whole career. DeMarco murray in 2014 had a better season in that respective year than any year emmitt had as a cowboy. Does that mean oh since for one year he was better he is on par with emmitt. Hell no.

22. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    If every single player in pro football is considered on the same level why doesnt every player get paid the same amount of money? Why do some get paid more than others since they are equal in ability since they are all in the nfl. Why are there guys on the bench?

23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i don't care about all these others you keep trying to justify your position with. this is about bell vs how well conner is playing for us and the huge difference in money vs production so far. you just keep making yourself look foolish. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 3
  24. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Does it hurt to twist yourself into rhetorical knots like this? Are your coaches concerned about the damage you might do to yourself?

25. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Not related and not trying to pick on you at all, but incorrect use of the word “decimated” makes me crazy. I hear it used as you did all over the news today (and not just sports news) as a synonym for destroyed or demolished. What it actually means is a 10% loss. That’s it.

If comes from the ancient Roman legions. If a legion ever ran from the enemy or otherwise showed cowardice in the face of the enemy they would make every ten soldiers draw straws and then force the other nine men to kill the unlucky soul who drew the short straw.

So what you’re saying above is that out of eleven starters on defense Atlanta was down roughly one guy (10% loss) and I don’t think that’s what you meant.

Sorry to ramble and I don’t mean to pick at all, but I’ve been in a staff meeting since 8:00am and I’m losing my mind.

• Like Like x 2