1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Defense turning point or smoke and mirrors?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by bigbenhotness, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I've been sold on Ben since his rookie season, love his ability to win a game come crunch time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Time to stir the pot.....

It ALL depends on if Dirty Red Plays(starts) or not. The more he plays the better the defense is.....

Cajun

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I’m rewatching the game. Here’s a phrase I didn’t think I would hear the announcers say “the defensive backs are making good tackles”.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  4. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    The Steelers are currently averaging 28.6 pts/gm. It's like I said in another post. If they keep scoring in the 2nd half, then they will score 30+/gm.

• Like Like x 1
  5. rukus4ever

Oct 24, 2011
    The Steelers defense just held Matty Ice, Julio Jones, Riddley and Sanu in check. I know they CAN do it against the Bengals (who, btw, appear have less big receiving threats). The question is this: WILL they do it?

I'll continue to believe until they show me otherwise. :herewego:

6. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Unfortunately this may be the case.

7. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    You mean L J Fort ;)

8. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Cincinnati Bengals Participation/Injury Report, Week 6/Wednesday, 10/10:

LB Preston Brown (Ankle) - Limited
    CB William Jackson (Knee) - Limited
    DE Michael Johnson (Knee) - Limited
    DE Carl Lawson (Ankle) - Limited
    WR John Ross (Groin) - Limited
    HB Giovani Bernard (Knee) - DNP
    G Clint Boling (Hip) - DNP
    TE Tyler Kroft (Foot) - DNP
    C Billy Price (Foot) - DNP

Those guys missing will definitely affect the Bengals’ offense. (And Boling, too.)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    We don`t have to worry about tie breakers anymore. Our tie with the Brownies is the ultimate "tie" breaker for better or worse, except with other teams with one tie. Winning percentage is everything so now NFC wins just as good.

10. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Division and conference wins lives matter bro

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
  12. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Steelers better bring their A game ti Cincy Sunday.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Be careful not to undersell their WR Corp. AJ Green is a formidable weapon and they are getting great production from Boyd who has 30 receptions. Ross is underwhelming some but if healthy with that speed he has to be accounted for....they also use their RBs quite regularly in the passing game and that has to be factored in as well.

14. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Was listening to SNR on the way to work last night I don't know when it was from but did anyone catch the Heyward interview? I will try and paraphrase. They asked him about the defensive communication with VW absent and how it seemed to be improved. He said that because VW was out that more guys had to communicate and more guys were talking and getting things communicated. Then they suggested maybe they should go without VW again and Heyward said, no ,no. Vince just has to understand that other guys will be talking out there and communicating.
    I'm paraphrasing as best I can. Did anyone else catch it? I though it was very bizarre that it seemed he was saying that VW is the only one allowed to communicate to the others. It's interesting and confusing if you can find it. I will try myself and link it if I can....

• Like Like x 1
  15. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    The defense played better for sure against the Falcons but there are still big issues. Lets not gloss over the fact they gave up another 40 yard TD, this looks like 3 straight seasons of leading the league in pass plays over 40 yards and TDs over 40 as well. The most disturbing thing is the 40 yard TD came on a slant and while it is too early to tell, I'm already saying Edmunds might be serviceable at best, not a 1st or even 2nd round talent.

16. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    SB Nation:

Green hasn't been able to make many intermediate catches against Haden. His other yardage mostly comes from hitch and comeback routes. In re-watching all of these catches, it's clear that Haden doesn't give up much separation to Green. His physical play at the line of scrimmage disrupts Green's routes and timing with Dalton. Haden is usually right on Green's hip every play and ready to make the immediate tackle if Green makes the reception.

• Like Like x 2
  17. knab70

knab70 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2012
    Nice win over a 1-4 crippled dismayed Falcon's team, but now it's hammer time and a 4-1 divisional road game will be a more significant test for an inconsistent, controversial highly penalized Steeler team. Is the D smoke and mirrors? Let's roll a little further into the season so we can make a better evaluation.

Hoping they add plenty of starch to da curtain.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. rukus4ever

Oct 24, 2011
    I don't discount them. My point is that ATL is at least as dangerous, if not more so. That gives me faith the Steelers can do it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. WinTheNorth

WinTheNorth Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I hadn't thought of this before but.... Haden's been covering AJ for a while before I showed up here so I guess he knows him pretty well

20. nor

nor Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2016
    Our defense is improving in some ways. Here's three pictures that show some of the confusion earlier in the year that I don't see now.
    pic 1 Bostic is motioning to Burnett to move
    pic 2 Burnett is moving
    pic 3 Cleveland runs the play right thru the area Burnett vacated.
    IMG_2660.JPG IMG_2661.JPG IMG_2663.JPG

21. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I don't know if its smoke and mirrors or not, but I'd like to see VW98 sit out one more time and see how they do. I'm usually a VW98 fan but if Fort and Red or some combo do as good a job against the bengirls as they did against the falcons then don't let the bench hit ya in the azz there VW98. Well...technically if he was benched then I guess the bench would , nevermind you get it

Thing is I think Fort sat out practice today too. So that part sucks.

22. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    The weakest part of the Bengals team is their Oline. Steelers need to send heat from every angle possible and stuff the middle. Make Dalton uncomfortable just like they did to Ryan.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Haden out bad game. Haden in they have a good defensive game. VW out they play good defensively.

24. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I'd be more inclined to put some of it on how bad the Browns' offensive line looked in that game. I haven't watched them since, so I'm not sure if that was just a terrible offensive line or the Steelers' front seven dominating. Part of Taylor's problem was the pressure.

Until Haden got hurt, they did what a decent defense is supposed to do against a below average offense. They were dominant. Taylor's scrambling was the only thing that seemed to give them real trouble. Then Conner handed them a score and they got another throwing at Sutton when he replaced Haden.

There are no such questions about the Atlanta game. That is a very good offense and the Steelers' defense held its own.

25. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I don't think the Bernard injury hurts that much if Mixon is fully healthy. They might actually be better off because they will have to feed Mixon.

Kroft is a problem for the Bengals because they are already without Eifert and the Steelers are so vulnerable to tight ends.